or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about. - Page 5

post #61 of 3523
We need some gossipy dirt. I was reading about Tony Abbott's free return airfares to the US on his latest speaking engagement when I noticed something in the updated statement of registrable interests document.

On page 9 of 60, 'annexure B', I see 'a gift of business shirts from Mr Charles Nakhle of Nakhle Shirtmakers'. So now we know who makes his shirts, but who makes the God awful suits?
post #62 of 3523


^ Well, I don't have any sartorially-related gossip, but I just heard on the grapevine that Stuart Robert, the (now former) Minister for Human Services, has just been sacked by Turnbull.

post #63 of 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers View Post

We need some gossipy dirt. I was reading about Tony Abbott's free return airfares to the US on his latest speaking engagement when I noticed something in the updated statement of registrable interests document.

On page 9 of 60, 'annexure B', I see 'a gift of business shirts from Mr Charles Nakhle of Nakhle Shirtmakers'. So now we know who makes his shirts, but who makes the God awful suits?

 

I thought it was always Anthony Squires that dressed PM's (besides Keating of course)

post #64 of 3523

The much bigger (potential) scandal is the gifting of Rolex watches to various Government ministers, including then-PM Tony Abbott, and their wives (including Tony's) of Rolex watches by a Chinese billionaire businessman during a China trade delegation visit a couple of years ago.

 

It's been reported in the Grauniad but AFAIK not yet been picked up by Fairfux or Spews Ltd.

 

The pollies involved all claimed that "they thought they were fakes" and kept them (which has to be a crime in itself - receiving contraband). One of them took his Rolex for valuation and was told it was worth "more than $40,000", at which point he handed it in. The others all followed suit shortly afterwards.

 

Something about this story stinks to high heaven and I'm really surprised it's not been headlined yet.

post #65 of 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

The much bigger (potential) scandal is the gifting of Rolex watches to various Government ministers, including then-PM Tony Abbott, and their wives (including Tony's) of Rolex watches by a Chinese billionaire businessman during a China trade delegation visit a couple of years ago.

 

It's been reported in the Grauniad but AFAIK not yet been picked up by Fairfux or Spews Ltd.

 

The pollies involved all claimed that "they thought they were fakes" and kept them (which has to be a crime in itself - receiving contraband). One of them took his Rolex for valuation and was told it was worth "more than $40,000", at which point he handed it in. The others all followed suit shortly afterwards.

 

Something about this story stinks to high heaven and I'm really surprised it's not been headlined yet.

 

 

Cox, I think that the Fairfax press did report it recently.

 

The story, if I remember correctly, is that whilst still in opposition, Stuart Robert hosted a meal for the same millionaire friend whom he later accompanied to China, and a Chinese billionaire was invited to the meal, along with a few other politicians.

 

During the proceedings, the Chinese billionaire apparently produced a plastic bag, from he pulled out a handful of gold Rolex watches, that he then proceeded to distribute to those present. Robert and others apparently thought that they were fake but they have stated that they did declare them. Then, once someone realised that they were genuine, they decided to return them - but they gave them back to the Australian mining millionaire (the mate of Stuart Robert), not to the Chinese billionaire, as the billionaire had disappeared as a result of Xi Jinping's crackdown on corruption (and/or opposition to Xi Jinping personally).

 

Edited to add: Did a quick search, couldn't see the watch saga mention on the Fairfax sites, but could see it on the Courier-Mail website:

 

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/photo-bombshell-stuart-robert-tony-abbott-and-ian-macfarlane-in-power-dinner-with-chinese-mogul/news-story/5a81f0ab63e4492eeb69505b8996c4a9

post #66 of 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

The pollies involved all claimed that "they thought they were fakes" and kept them

 

If they are gonna tell porkies, at least have the courtesy to do a decent job.

 

A Chinese billionaire handing out fake Rolexes to government officials will be unusual.

 

The watches are probably the President DayDates in gold, white gold or platinum, and if it is the platinum, the weight of the watch will instantly be noticeable.

post #67 of 3523
post #68 of 3523
In my experience the only thing worse than a fake Rolex wearer is a real Rolex wearer.
post #69 of 3523

and why do you say that Dartagnanred?

post #70 of 3523

Has anyone bought or tried on one of the sunspel sweatshirts? I'm after something similar, but haven't had the chance to make it into the store for a look.

 

What was fit on it like, and does the loopback fabric live up to internet hype? Has anyone seen anything similar elsewhere, or even better, want to buy me one?

post #71 of 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post

and why do you say that Dartagnanred?

Largely I'm just being a dickhead, but, for every mild mannered collector there are 20 cashed up upper management fuckwits who think they're the height of cool or trustkid fuccbois with a collection of gold bracelet rolexes to match their Hermes belts.
post #72 of 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post

In my experience the only thing worse than a fake Rolex wearer is a Nazi watch wearer.

Oh okay.
post #73 of 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post

Largely I'm just being a dickhead, but, for every mild mannered collector there are 20 cashed up upper management fuckwits who think they're the height of cool or trustkid fuccbois with a collection of gold bracelet rolexes to match their Hermes belts.

I get the general point you are making and agree. For reference, Nice Guy Gerry often wears a (very nice) Rolex - but he fits into none of those categories....well, maybe one of two, eh Gerry?

[For the record, I would wear a Rolex - secondhand, pepsi style or something like this if I was looking for a watch in that price range...either that or an old Omega...but for now my Patek does me fine...as demonstrated by Foxy and fxh....]
post #74 of 3523
Would love a nice new/used watch, but we need a new couch. And a new (used) car.
post #75 of 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post


Largely I'm just being a dickhead, but, for every mild mannered collector there are 20 cashed up upper management fuckwits who think they're the height of cool or trustkid fuccbois with a collection of gold bracelet rolexes to match their Hermes belts.

 

Or there's Ian Goodenough, MP, who issued a press release about his decision to purchase a Rolex, written in the third person:

 

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/30787951/only-a-rolex-goodenough/

 

"Ian decided that a momentous year of achievement should be acknowledged and after careful research, consideration and planning decided to invest in a watch. He visited a local Western
Australian company, Rosendorff Jewellers, and purchased a Rolex.

 

Ian decided to purchase a Rolex after learning of the brand’s history and commitment to achieving the best time piece product possible. Its renowned reputation as the pinnacle watch in the industry was a nice fit for the occasion the watch was being bought for."

 

 

I think that some people dislike Rolex not only because of the points that D-Red mentioned above - people with money who buy a Rolex simply because it's a Rolex, just in the same way that people buy monogrammed canvas LV bags even though they're hideously overpriced, just so they can say (or show) that they've got a Rolex or LV bag - but also because it's a reaction to the thinking of people like Ian Goodenough. Rolex does make good watches, but anyone who knows about watches also knows that Rolex is far from the pinnacle of watchmaking. They make decent, generally reliable, hard-wearing watches that have largely stood the test of time, but they are not beautifully made and they are not technically outstanding.

 

While I'm up on my high horse, I also really fail to understand the enthusiasm of people for "patina" on watches, and Rolex collectors are an excellent example of this inexplicable mania. People will actually pay *more* for a banged-up, old Rolex Submariner - sometimes a heck of a lot more - because it's old. Not because it's rare - there are many, many, many thousands of Submariners out there and the watch has been in production, virtually unchanged, for 60 years - but because it's old. I've seen people post Instagram pics of Rolex watches with cracked bezels and scratched glass, and the pictures have gained thousands of "likes", with people commenting on how cool the watch looks. I think that I've made this point before but, if it's *your* patina - if the watch looks well-worn because of the adventures that you've had while wearing the watch, then that's fine. In fact, that's better than fine - that's great. However, if the watch was worn by someone else for a few decades and then you buy it from eBay or a second-hand watch dealer and pay a premium because of the patina imparted while it was on the wrist of someone who you don't know at all - then I think that's silly. If I'm buying a watch, then I want the watch to look as pristine as possible. I wouldn't buy a banged up old car and then go around talking about how great the cracked windscreen and rust in the bodywork are, so why would I have the same attitude to a watch?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.