or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about. - Page 37

post #541 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post

Both good modern Chinese that isn't all sweet and sour pork and that junk. The Shantung Lamb at Portia's is famous amongst Canberra Pollies.
Do you get a free HC shantung tie if you order the shantung lamb? If so book me in.

Also, why all the hate for Aussie Chinese food, who doesn't love a flouro S&S pork or the Last Dim Sim with a generous side of extra MSG?

Bloody snobs.
post #542 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter View Post

Have you tried Portia's Place or Chairman & Yip? Both good modern Chinese that isn't all sweet and sour pork and that junk. The Shantung Lamb at Portia's is famous amongst Canberra Pollies.

Chairman & Yip has moved out of Civic to Barton, where I've eaten at their previous incarnation.

I eat at Sammy's a bit.
post #543 of 3871

Would anyone care to recommend some nice shaving cream? I'm just about to run out of TOBS Sandalwood, thought I might try something different.

post #544 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightace View Post

Would anyone care to recommend some nice shaving cream? I'm just about to run out of TOBS Sandalwood, thought I might try something different.

Occam's original shave cream, been using it the past nine months. Also Mitchell's Wool Fat, Proraso Blue..
post #545 of 3871
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightace View Post
 

Would anyone care to recommend some nice shaving cream? I'm just about to run out of TOBS Sandalwood, thought I might try something different.


I've been using TOBS Jerymn Street for a few years now and quite pleased with it.

 

If you want to try Shaving Soap, I liked Trumper but soap started to annoy me.

post #546 of 3871
Thanks for the tips gents.
post #547 of 3871
I was taking the piss re Scottish food. My brother lives there. I do agree though anything vaguely "ethnic" is done very badly.

Traditional food is done well. Haggis is great. Roasts are good. Some fish is great. Some chips great othes shite. Breakfast black pud great.
post #548 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

 

And as a final icing on the cake, I was able to pick up an extra bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky at the duty-free right next to my gate. Worked out to less than A$70. Banzai!

 

 

For other members travelling to Japan and bringing whisky back, note it's cheaper landside than at any of the duty free stores (which are usually out anyway). 

 

If you want an extensive selection, Hasegawa in Tokyo Station is pretty good - they used to have Fuji 18 year old until a friend and I effectively drained their stock over repeated 2015 trips (at ~$100, it was a steal). If you're optimizing for price, may I recommend visiting the nearest 7/11. I brought back two bottles of 500ml Taketsuru for $16 each. They also have Yamazaki, Miyagikyo and Hakushu. 

 

Zoetrope in Shinjuku is a great place to explore the rarer Japanese whiskies, quite cheap too and he has a LOT open. 

post #549 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdb View Post
 

 

For other members travelling to Japan and bringing whisky back, note it's cheaper landside than at any of the duty free stores (which are usually out anyway). 

 

If you want an extensive selection, Hasegawa in Tokyo Station is pretty good - they used to have Fuji 18 year old until a friend and I effectively drained their stock over repeated 2015 trips (at ~$100, it was a steal). If you're optimizing for price, may I recommend visiting the nearest 7/11. I brought back two bottles of 500ml Taketsuru for $16 each. They also have Yamazaki, Miyagikyo and Hakushu. 

 

Zoetrope in Shinjuku is a great place to explore the rarer Japanese whiskies, quite cheap too and he has a LOT open. 


Yes and no. Admittedly I didn't do an exhaustive comparison of every outlet in Osaka, but at Hankyu Department Store, the Nikka Coffey Grain was ¥6450 (incl tax). At the tiny little Kansai duty free stall near the gate, it was ¥5400. Even if I had claimed back the tax from Hankyu, it would still have been more expensive.

 

OTOH a bottle of Yamazaki 18yo - apparently now impossible to get anywhere except Japan - was ¥36,000 in a small bottle shop in Pontocho (Kyoto), but ¥50,000 at the Kansai place. I can assure you I was not buying at either price. I'm sure it's can't be worth that much.

post #550 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanohare View Post

Anyone got experience with Hermen menswear? I've been looking into them as an alternative to SuitShop, OH, etc.

Specifically if anyone's had a suit made with them and wants to comment on the experience and product.

Cheers.

If you're referring to Herman bros
I've got a few suits from Herman and highly recommend. Good customisation and construction at a very competitive price. Have been a few blogs written reviewing his suits which I think I can dig up and pm you later.
post #551 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxh View Post

I'm always fascinated by people who travel but won't eat the local food. I just don't get it.

Even if you only stuck to say steamed rice or noodles or dumplings - its not as if that food is strange in any way.

Sure you don't have to like everything locals like but although I haven't travelled as much as many I haven't been anywhere the food was inedible. Well Scotland, maybe, but other than that.

Worst travel companions right after the ones who would whinge about everything or mos of the times are one and the same people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

It really is inexplicable. Local food is often one of the highlights of travelling (yes, even eating boiled dog with dirty rice in a thatched shack in the highlands of a remote Indonesian island) and it's an insight into the culture and circumstances of the local people.

The food stalls at night markets in SE Asian countries are usually great - cheap, fast food prepared right in front of you so that you can check ingredients for freshness, unlike food prepared out in a back kitchen that you can't see!

Petepan's suggestion of Imodium is a good one, though - the traveller's friend in times of need, especially if you've got a long train or bus trip ahead of you!

Dog meat, is in fact quite delicious. They aren't known as the "fragrant meat" for nothing!
One tip I get when traveling is unless you're eating at the restaurant in the Sheraton or something that is known to have some sort of standard in hygiene, it is actually safer to eat where you can see the food being cooked so you can see that the germs get burnt or steamed to high heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

Agree, and adding further, people who go to a resturant serving an international cuisine an order something western, such as people I saw at a Malaysian resturant eating fish and chips.
I quite like the toast that Malaysians make...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

Do you get a free HC shantung tie if you order the shantung lamb? If so book me in.

Also, why all the hate for Aussie Chinese food, who doesn't love a flouro S&S pork or the Last Dim Sim with a generous side of extra MSG?

Bloody snobs.
The problem is that after a few times, you realise what sim sum you pick here they all taste exactly the same.



Back on sartorially related, does anyone here have any experience working in Hong Kong? Looking for knowledge on appropriate office wear. I did a google on it and all I got sounded really BS about everything is white shirt and black/charcoal suits and everything else is frowned upon.
post #552 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 


Yes and no. Admittedly I didn't do an exhaustive comparison of every outlet in Osaka, but at Hankyu Department Store, the Nikka Coffey Grain was ¥6450 (incl tax). At the tiny little Kansai duty free stall near the gate, it was ¥5400. Even if I had claimed back the tax from Hankyu, it would still have been more expensive.

 

OTOH a bottle of Yamazaki 18yo - apparently now impossible to get anywhere except Japan - was ¥36,000 in a small bottle shop in Pontocho (Kyoto), but ¥50,000 at the Kansai place. I can assure you I was not buying at either price. I'm sure it's can't be worth that much.

Interesting on the DF stall. I've never seen this before, and will check out next time I fly out of Kansai airport. My last flight out, prices were not competitive with landside options; both Haneda and Narita's Japanese selections were sold out every flight in 2015.

 

Hankyu, Daimaru, Takeshimaya, the big stores tend to be overpriced, at least in my recent experience and for what I was looking for (Chihiro's Malt, mostly). A small bottle shop is exactly what you want, and where the gems can be found with some digging - but I never found a good one in Tokyo (haven't looked particularly hard mind you).

 

I drank the 18 and I also don't think it's worth that much even if a friend swears by it - I prefer Taketsuru 21 (which is also exorbitant these days), and it was also in Kyoto that I found the best prices, go figure... there's even a SMWS associated bar in Kyoto that sold Port Ellen for $10 a shot as recently as late 2014! 

 

But the same money could, for example, get me three single cask experiments from the Savanna distillery (you have to email them and ask what they have) shipping included, or a couple bottles of Michel Couvreur Overaged (which you can taste first at the amazing Farmhouse King's Cross). Hence switching back to piling $10 half bottles of "basic" stuff from 7/11 to maximise my duty free ROI...

 

Righto, back to sartorial matters. 

post #553 of 3871
Thread Starter 
When in Tokyo, a MUST stop is Book Off in Shibuya. They're a second hand department store that sells movies,TV shows, books, video games, and clothes. Some of the other shops around Tokyo and the rest of the country are quite weak when it comes to decent clothing, but the Shibuya store had a great range, including Schott, Aero, Barbout, RL, RRL, Buzz Rickson, Moscot and many more. It's where I picked up my black Aero jacket from.
post #554 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by crappbag View Post

If you're referring to Herman bros
I've got a few suits from Herman and highly recommend. Good customisation and construction at a very competitive price. Have been a few blogs written reviewing his suits which I think I can dig up and pm you later.

Yep, that's them - thanks.
post #555 of 3871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

When in Tokyo, a MUST stop is Book Off in Shibuya. They're a second hand department store that sells movies,TV shows, books, video games, and clothes. Some of the other shops around Tokyo and the rest of the country are quite weak when it comes to decent clothing, but the Shibuya store had a great range, including Schott, Aero, Barbout, RL, RRL, Buzz Rickson, Moscot and many more. It's where I picked up my black Aero jacket from.


For me i love the clothes in japan, i frequent Burberry black label every year im there, theres been a nice DB trench coat i see every year (winter range) but ive never been able to buy it since small is always out of stock. Bit pricey but burberry has always been a guilty pleasure shop for me. For a bit more of a local brand id reccomend Hare, they used to be in Harajuku but since i didnt get to go last year, my brother has informed me they have moved to shibuya. The quality is more than fair and at least personally the style suits me. American rag cie would be another one but that place is very hit and miss in terms of styling and the price is a bit high even for simple things like a plain cotton shirt. Comme ca for something a bit more commercial but again the style of clothes are a lot more me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.