or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about. - Page 213

post #3181 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post

Clearly you haven't been to DFO in Canberra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petepan View Post

The most horrendous "Malaysian" cuisine could be found there.

Canberra + DFO = *shudder*
post #3182 of 3545
Hey it's not called DFO anymore, it's now the Canberra Outlet Centre or as the locals refer to it as, the COC
post #3183 of 3545
laugh.gif
post #3184 of 3545
Hello, first time poster here. I'll start by mentioning that I am not a wealthy man by any means since I'm a student and living out of home, you know how it is. I have a few questions, I don't expect to get them all answered but I figured it was worth a try.

I'm looking to purchase at least a half-canvassed suit (if I can get a full-canvassed for not too much more I'm open to suggestions) mid-way through next year. I've lurked for a little while since I didn't want to be "that guy" and have gathered that my best option is probably going to be copping something from MJ Bale's clearance of their previous season when winter rolls around. Can anyone tell me if there's a better alternative to this? I want to dress appropriately for my age and build, so for reference I'm quite skinny, 185cm and 65kg. I imagine I should be looking for something a bit slimmer fitting than most, but I'm fairly new to fashion so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, as I am in a rather hot climate should I be searching for something in the S120-130 range? (as I imagine finer fabrics = cooler but again, correct me if I'm wrong)

I've recently discovered that I really enjoy fashion, and I'd love to learn more about textiles and construction, however being in Brisbane I worry it wouldn't be the best environment for it (compared to say Melbourne or Sydney). I'd very much like to learn how to alter my clothes however I see fit, but I'm not sure where/how I should go about pursuing this. If anyone who works in the industry can pm me with advice on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
post #3185 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafe View Post

Hello, first time poster here. I'll start by mentioning that I am not a wealthy man by any means since I'm a student and living out of home, you know how it is. I have a few questions, I don't expect to get them all answered but I figured it was worth a try.

I'm looking to purchase at least a half-canvassed suit (if I can get a full-canvassed for not too much more I'm open to suggestions) mid-way through next year. I've lurked for a little while since I didn't want to be "that guy" and have gathered that my best option is probably going to be copping something from MJ Bale's clearance of their previous season when winter rolls around. Can anyone tell me if there's a better alternative to this? I want to dress appropriately for my age and build, so for reference I'm quite skinny, 185cm and 65kg. I imagine I should be looking for something a bit slimmer fitting than most, but I'm fairly new to fashion so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, as I am in a rather hot climate should I be searching for something in the S120-130 range? (as I imagine finer fabrics = cooler but again, correct me if I'm wrong)

I've recently discovered that I really enjoy fashion, and I'd love to learn more about textiles and construction, however being in Brisbane I worry it wouldn't be the best environment for it (compared to say Melbourne or Sydney). I'd very much like to learn how to alter my clothes however I see fit, but I'm not sure where/how I should go about pursuing this. If anyone who works in the industry can pm me with advice on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Mj bale - get the basics (navy/charcoal).
post #3186 of 3545

Evening all,

 

I'm looking at purchasing a new steam iron and currently scoping out the Tefal steam generators (GV8962, GV8981).

I iron my own shirts (or at least the missus does most of the time) so I thought I'd put a new one under the Christmas tree this year :satisfied:

In any case, was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience with any other brands?

 

Whilst checking prices for said models, I found the below on the DJ's website which some of you may find interesting.

 

Link at: https://www.davidjones.com.au/Whats-On-and-Events/2016/10/Gieves-and-Hawkes?cm_sp=HP_BASER-_-W17_GIEVESHAWKES-_-FINDOUTMORE&_ga=1.215101079.1263153606.1474328494

 

David Jones are delighted to announce their exclusive partnership with Gieves & Hawkes.

The brand will be bringing its renowned made to measure specialist Tim Ardron to selected stores this October.

 

 

 

25 & 26 October 2016

 

Level 2, Gieves & Hawkes Department

 

David Jones Bourke Street Mall Men’s Store, Melbourne

 

Bookings: 03 9643 2001 or pssvic@davidjones.com.au

 

 

27 & 28 October 2016

 

Level 2, Men’s Personal Shopping Suite

 

David Jones Market Street Store, Sydney

 

Bookings: 02 9266 6112 or pssnsw@davidjones.com.au

 

 

Places are limited, bookings are essential. 

 

post #3187 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafe View Post

I've recently discovered that I really enjoy fashion, and I'd love to learn more about textiles and construction, however being in Brisbane I worry it wouldn't be the best environment for it (compared to say Melbourne or Sydney). I'd very much like to learn how to alter my clothes however I see fit, but I'm not sure where/how I should go about pursuing this. If anyone who works in the industry can pm me with advice on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

 

It's more the weave of the cloth that's important in hot weather, rather than the "S" (or Super) number. I've had suits made in Super 180s cloth that was definitely winter-weight, and I've also had suits in S170s or S180s cloth that was tissue-like and felt as though the fabric was going to tear as I wore it! It also wrinkled like a bastard and the wrinkles didn't come out with hanging. 

 

In summer, I now tend to wear suits with a more open weave in a "fresco"-like cloth, and I have my jackets made up with "buggy" lining (lined through the sleeves and front and a little bit up at the shoulders at the back - in other words, only partially lined so as to get more ventilation. 

 

With regard to learning about fabrics and construction, I think that reading on places like StyleForum helps. Of course, there can be misinformation but there's also a great deal of useful info, particularly in posts by people like JeffreyD and in other threads on construction and fabrics. You can also try to get hold of books by people like Alan Flusser, Bernhard Roetzel and G Bruce Boyer. 

 

When it comes to actually doing alterations yourself, I guess that experimentation is possibly the way to go, unless you can find a decent tailor or alterations person who is happy to teach you. There are TAFE courses you can do, but if you're already studying something else, then it would be difficult to find the time. Of course, there are also old pattern books and tailoring diagrams that can teach you about construction and so on. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
 

 

Whilst checking prices for said models, I found the below on the DJ's website which some of you may find interesting.

 

Link at: https://www.davidjones.com.au/Whats-On-and-Events/2016/10/Gieves-and-Hawkes?cm_sp=HP_BASER-_-W17_GIEVESHAWKES-_-FINDOUTMORE&_ga=1.215101079.1263153606.1474328494

 

David Jones are delighted to announce their exclusive partnership with Gieves & Hawkes.

The brand will be bringing its renowned made to measure specialist Tim Ardron to selected stores this October.

 

 

The only direct experience that I have with Gieves and Hawkes is an off-the-rack shirt that I bought some years ago. Suffice to say, it wasn't bad, but for the price, it wasn't great, either. I may be wrong, but I tend to think that they're trading on past glories. 

post #3188 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post

Evening all,

I'm looking at purchasing a new steam iron and currently scoping out the Tefal steam generators (GV8962, GV8981).
I iron my own shirts (or at least the missus does most of the time) so I thought I'd put a new one under the Christmas tree this year satisfied.gif
In any case, was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience with any other brands?

Whilst checking prices for said models, I found the below on the DJ's website which some of you may find interesting.


https://www.target.com.au/p/tefal-effectis-steam-generator-gv672/59090038

I got this one from Tefal earlier this year. Makes ironing so much easier and quicker. It takes 5 minutes to warm up and the hot plate/iron is on the light side. Otherwise I can iron 4-5 shirts in under 5 minutes without having to top up the water. I looked at Lauastar and considered getting a second hand model for cheaper via eBay as the new ones were $500 plus. The "blowing" iron board in the more expensive models was very impressive but just couldn't justify the cost. You need to upgrade your ironing board to one with perforations underneath the board cover otherwise the steam has nowhere to escape and can dampen your clothes. Also love how you can rejuvenate your suits with the steamer function by vertically steaming while holding the suit on a hanger.
post #3189 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

It's more the weave of the cloth that's important in hot weather, rather than the "S" (or Super) number. I've had suits made in Super 180s cloth that was definitely winter-weight, and I've also had suits in S170s or S180s cloth that was tissue-like and felt as though the fabric was going to tear as I wore it! It also wrinkled like a bastard and the wrinkles didn't come out with hanging. 

In summer, I now tend to wear suits with a more open weave in a "fresco"-like cloth, and I have my jackets made up with "buggy" lining (lined through the sleeves and front and a little bit up at the shoulders at the back - in other words, only partially lined so as to get more ventilation. 

With regard to learning about fabrics and construction, I think that rewading on places like StyleForum helps. Of course, there can be misinformation but there's also a great deal of useful info, particularly in posts by people like JeffreyD and in other threads on construction and fabrics. You can also try to get hold of books by people like Alan Flusser, Bernhard Roetzel and G Bruce Boyer. 

I might just add as well that there are few other things - I've tried to simplify it as much as possible.

Fibres are twisted into yarn/thread, which in turn is woven into fabric. To make it more complicated sometimes multiple threads are twisted into a single yarn - 2-ply, 3-ply, etc.

1. The Super rating refers to the fine-ness of the fibres used to make up the threads (yarn) - this is often advertised. Higher Supers often go hand in hand with lighter fabric weight, as the fibres are expensive. Same way Red Rock Deli crisps in 150gm cost the same as Lays in 250gm bags - costs more to produce, so they give you less for the same price.

2. The twist refers to the how tightly twisted the fibres are when they make up the thread (yarn) - rarely advertised, sometimes labelled as "high twist" fabric, this is a critical factor in the feel/handling of the fabric - ever notice how some fabrics are "bouncier", have better "body", and resist creases better than others of the same weight?

3. Ply refers to how many threads are combined to make a yarn - often advertised. So 3 ply means the yarn used to weave the fabric was made by combining 3 smaller threads. Generally speaking, higher ply means improved durability.

4. Woolen vs Woosted refers to whether the fibres are combed to ensure they are all in the same direction before they are twisted into yarn - again rarely advertised. The difference comes in the feel of the fabric - how some fabrics are "woolier" feeling vs some others which are "dry" feeling. Woosted often goes hand in hand with high/higher twist.

5. Weave refers to how the threads are woven to make up the cloth - advertised only if there is some special feature, e.g. "Fresco" or "breathable". A good fresco would have a high twist woosted fabric - so that even though there are less threads per unit of surface area the fabric still has body and will not crumple like tissue.

Hope that helps.
post #3190 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournites View Post


https://www.target.com.au/p/tefal-effectis-steam-generator-gv672/59090038

I got this one from Tefal earlier this year. Makes ironing so much easier and quicker. It takes 5 minutes to warm up and the hot plate/iron is on the light side. Otherwise I can iron 4-5 shirts in under 5 minutes without having to top up the water. I looked at Lauastar and considered getting a second hand model for cheaper via eBay as the new ones were $500 plus. The "blowing" iron board in the more expensive models was very impressive but just couldn't justify the cost. You need to upgrade your ironing board to one with perforations underneath the board cover otherwise the steam has nowhere to escape and can dampen your clothes. Also love how you can rejuvenate your suits with the steamer function by vertically steaming while holding the suit on a hanger.

 

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll check out the model you have suggested too.


The perforated ironing board was one of my first early investments.  Haven't looked back since!

post #3191 of 3545
The grey or blue?
Explorer and every other SS sports models are on bs waiting list. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


post #3192 of 3545

I prefer the blue. 

 

I tried on the grey and it looked washed/dull out against my complexion. 

post #3193 of 3545

@Bravo Sierra

 

I iron my shirts directly after they come out of the washing machine. Shirt is damp enough to iron without any steam.

post #3194 of 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabilmust View Post
 

I prefer the blue. 

 

I tried on the grey and it looked washed/dull out against my complexion. 

 

I prefer the blue as well.

post #3195 of 3545
Another vote for the blue, which I tried on last weekend. I can't remember but have you also considered a date just?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.