Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about. - Page 12

post #166 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

It's interesting, though, in that it's so different from the way that other vintage items are valued (well, to my limited knowledge, at least). With other vintage items - furniture, books, crockery/glassware, pictures and so on - damage and wear is viewed negatively. It reduces the value of the vintage item. In other words, the more pristine the vintage item, the higher the value. However, when it comes to some watches, people are willing to pay considerably more for watches with visible wear-and-tear - it enhances the value, rather than reducing it! 

Another 20 cents worth. When I did my Masters I did an internship at the NMA. The curators their valued the wear and tear and scarification of an object over time as it provided clues to the objects narrative and journey. These become the narrative speach of an object as it circulates through the commodity market, community and also offers insight into the individuals it encountered on its journey. Its manufacture, individual ownership, where it was repaired how many times it was exchanged. The provenance speaks volumes about an object and its inscription tells the tale of its circulation as both a commodity with a monetary value and item of cultural exchange.
post #167 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post

More importantly, does Auburn do good bahn mi and vietnamese coffee for cheap?
No but you can always catch the train out to Cabramatta.
post #168 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post

I work there. Face it it's a hole.

Well shit, but I will be walking distance to school if I live in Lidcombe.

safety or convenience, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The thing is, many people online say Lidcombe is actually relatively safe, or they have a strong negative reaction to it? I google mapped the place, it doesn't look like the richest area, but it doesn't look like the hood either.


And I said sydney winter sounds brutal because even though Canada is cold, central heating keeps indoors of all buildings at a toasty 21-23 celsius. I heard it can dip into single digits in sydney at nights in the winter because houses were built for summer. Good to hear it's not the case though
post #169 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairy Phobic View Post


Well shit, but I will be walking distance to school if I live in Lidcombe.

safety or convenience, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The thing is, many people online say Lidcombe is actually relatively safe, or they have a strong negative reaction to it? I google mapped the place, it doesn't look like the richest area, but it doesn't look like the hood either.


And I said sydney winter sounds brutal because even though Canada is cold, central heating keeps indoors of all buildings at a toasty 21-23 celsius. I heard it can dip into single digits in sydney at nights in the winter because houses were built for summer. Good to hear it's not the case though

 

Honestly, you will be fine in Lidcombe. It's basically suburbia with a high ethnic mix (chinese, vietnamese, lebanese, turkish).

 

It's not the nicest area (compared to North or Eastern suburbs) but it's definitely not 'hood' either (e.g. Mt Druitt).

post #170 of 4153
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli2012 View Post


I work there. Face it it's a hole.


Aren't you from Newcastle?

post #171 of 4153

/flamesuit on.

After reading all the positive views on Rolex owners you guys have further convinced me that getting a submariner is the right move for a 20som

ething guy that spends most Thursdays and Fridays at Establishment and Ryan’s Bar.

What are the thoughts on second hand vs new? Where would you suggest the best place to purchase in Sydney, I don’t see myself going overseas anytime soon. 

post #172 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post


Aren't you from Newcastle?

Summer Hill.
post #173 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post

/Where would you suggest the best place to purchase in Sydney. 

Wherever the most people can see you walking in and out. Also, make sure the store has a unique hashtag.
post #174 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairy Phobic View Post

Well shit, but I will be walking distance to school if I live in Lidcombe.

safety or convenience, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The thing is, many people online say Lidcombe is actually relatively safe, or they have a strong negative reaction to it? I google mapped the place, it doesn't look like the richest area, but it doesn't look like the hood either.


And I said sydney winter sounds brutal because even though Canada is cold, central heating keeps indoors of all buildings at a toasty 21-23 celsius. I heard it can dip into single digits in sydney at nights in the winter because houses were built for summer. Good to hear it's not the case though
Auburn stinks. Lots of crimes and overall just dirty. Lots of refugees from countries you and I would never visit.
There are different points of views - But I don't feel enthusiastic every morning going to work knowing big chunk of my hard earned cash is going to support these people and their families. And at the end of the day these people are always making it hard for the tax payers and their families. I hope my comments don't upset anyone.
post #175 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartagnanRed View Post



Wherever the most people can see you walking in and out. Also, make sure the store has a unique hashtag.

 



#wristys
post #176 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Auburn stinks. Lots of crimes and overall just dirty. Lots of refugees from countries you and I would never visit.
There are different points of views - But I don't feel enthusiastic every morning going to work knowing big chunk of my hard earned cash is going to support these people and their families. And at the end of the day these people are always making it hard for the tax payers and their families. I hope my comments don't upset anyone.
Yeah, too right, all those refugees clogging up the M4 and pushing up house prices!
post #177 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by crappbag View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairy Phobic View Post


Well shit, but I will be walking distance to school if I live in Lidcombe.

safety or convenience, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The thing is, many people online say Lidcombe is actually relatively safe, or they have a strong negative reaction to it? I google mapped the place, it doesn't look like the richest area, but it doesn't look like the hood either.


And I said sydney winter sounds brutal because even though Canada is cold, central heating keeps indoors of all buildings at a toasty 21-23 celsius. I heard it can dip into single digits in sydney at nights in the winter because houses were built for summer. Good to hear it's not the case though

 

Honestly, you will be fine in Lidcombe. It's basically suburbia with a high ethnic mix (chinese, vietnamese, lebanese, turkish).

 

It's not the nicest area (compared to North or Eastern suburbs) but it's definitely not 'hood' either (e.g. Mt Druitt).


Yes, that's right. Don't take any notice of what the others have said - it's a perfectly nice area to live. Lidcombe has the advantage of being a major train station with regular express trains that get you into the city in around 20 minutes.  You'll be fine to start off and then you have the option of looking elsewhere if you want to; when you get to know Sydney better.

post #178 of 4153
Plus if you're Canadian they have an ice hockey exhibition game at Olympic Park next to Lidcombe every year.

And what you've heard about the lack of central heating is true - those old weatherboards have zero insulation and it does get nippy there in winter though not Canberra or Winnipeg cold.
post #179 of 4153

I have Canadian friends and they complain about how cold Australian houses are in winter. It's a great opportunity to tease them about how soft they've become since they moved to Australia.

post #180 of 4153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Another 20 cents worth. When I did my Masters I did an internship at the NMA. The curators their valued the wear and tear and scarification of an object over time as it provided clues to the objects narrative and journey. These become the narrative speach of an object as it circulates through the commodity market, community and also offers insight into the individuals it encountered on its journey. Its manufacture, individual ownership, where it was repaired how many times it was exchanged. The provenance speaks volumes about an object and its inscription tells the tale of its circulation as both a commodity with a monetary value and item of cultural exchange.

Whenever I've bought antique cufflinks, the dealers have always advised me not to polish them, for this reason
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.