Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 26TH FEBRUARY 2016 BROWN TIE CHALLENGE (BTC) Last post on 3/2/16 at 4:36am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:34 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 5:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- ISAIA NAPOLI - SUPER HUGE MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Pants, Ties, Hangers &... Last post on 11/13/13 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- shirt/tie color suggestion for new jacket Last post on 10/29/12 at 1:41pm in Classic Menswear
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition - Page 8post #107 of 2792/21/16 at 10:50amThread Starterpost #108 of 2792/21/16 at 10:57amQuote:I must have blocked it from the gallery when I posted it. Ooops. Maybe the mods can fix that.Originally Posted by TweedyProf
Really nice, as I expected. I have to rethink my ambivalence to grey solid ties. Well done.
Tho: why don't the photos show up in the gallery?
That is actually bottle green. Bad lightpost #109 of 2792/21/16 at 11:09amThread Starterpost #110 of 2792/21/16 at 2:06pmOK, here goes. I took the assignment to be the five jackets and ten ties that I would keep if I had to give away all others. If you ask me a week from now my answer would probably be different and if you ask me a year from now it almost certainly will be. But this is how I felt today.
So here's a pic of five jackets:
From L to R: Blue tweed; Green donegal; Brown herringbone; Midnight velvet; Light brown cashmere
The midnight velvet is probably the one that's most different from others' selections, but it's the one I'm most sure of. I really like having a jacket specifically for evening. This one has peak lapels and jetted pockets (i.e., no flaps). I usually wear it with a white shirt (some might call it perineal) and no tie. But for a fancier occasion I might wear a midnight or black bow tie. I don't think I would ever wear it with a long tie.
So, to the ties then:
Sorry for the crappy pictures. But the top row is knits and wools, the bottom row silks. I don't really like stripes that much, and the stripes I like are usually big, like the brown tie in the bottom row. Most of my jacket patterns are big checks, and to my eye thin stripes look puny next to them. The grey and caramel wool on top is an exception in that it's a smaller stripe but I like the colors a lot, so I wear it. Usually with the brown herringbone coat. But mostly with F/W SCs I like knits, fuzzy wools, or madders with big prints, maybe bordering on obnoxious.
A few pics of items together:
Thanks to @TweedyProf for getting this thread going. It's an honor to be in such exalted company.post #111 of 2792/21/16 at 2:22pmThread Starterpost #112 of 2792/21/16 at 3:29pmpost #113 of 2792/21/16 at 5:42pmThread Starter
I'm curious about the fabric of the Steed in the last shot (1 and 5 are Steed)?
We're having a slow roll out which is fine, enjoyable to have posts trickle in. European absence is glaring, but that will be remedied. In the meantime, to fill the gaps, I have asked a couple of additional posters who I'll announce soon.
I'm going to invite any of the previous posters who have an interest in doing suits to go ahead and do so if they wish (just flag this in your additional posts). Doing this because I'm going to relax the requirement of 5 SCs when necessary to bring in those who focus more on suits and who would provide valuable insight (as @poorsod did and who is warmly invited to add more at his leisure).
Also, if current posters want to add information, details, etc., again you are most welcome to.post #114 of 2792/21/16 at 6:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by TweedyProf
I'm curious about the fabric of the Steed in the last shot (1 and 5 are Steed)?
5 is actually an old Attolini. The fabric is cashmere, maybe 16 oz or so - the group shot and last pic are represent the color best. The other pic is too yellow. I got the jacket off eBay about 5 years ago now. I wish I could find more of this fabric, since I love it and this jacket may not have the much more life left in it. The blue tweed is Steed, as is the brown herringbone. The green donegal is Ciro Zizolfi. The midnight velvet is Napolisumisura.post #115 of 2792/21/16 at 6:56pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
5 is actually an old Attolini. The fabric is cashmere, maybe 16 oz or so - the group shot and last pic are represent the color best. The other pic is too yellow. I got the jacket off eBay about 5 years ago now. I wish I could find more of this fabric, since I love it and this jacket may not have the much more life left in it. The blue tweed is Steed, as is the brown herringbone. The green donegal is Ciro Zizolfi. The midnight velvet is Napolisumisura.
Would love to see a shot of the green at some point.post #116 of 2792/21/16 at 7:25pmpost #117 of 2792/21/16 at 7:29pm
When are you going to write up Zizolfi? He's the heir to Ciro Palermo right?
For those of you interested, here is a write up of Palermo
Anyway, here is the rest of my contributionpost #118 of 2792/21/16 at 7:43pmpost #119 of 2792/21/16 at 7:45pmThread Starter
Thanks @poorsod (no more pestering from me!).
I realize now it would be helpful to see more full length shots given the different tailoring examples. Some differences are apparent from the close-ups but seeing more would be of interest. Ah well, I'm sure that thread has been done at some point.post #120 of 2792/21/16 at 8:36pm
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 20 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent NEW Black Suede London 20 Side Zip Boots size 41.5 21 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 24 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL THRIFT/DISCOUNT STORE FIT PIC BRAGGING THREAD 33 minutes ago
- › TOD's cardholder blue alligator BNIB tods 41 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 46 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway