or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Styleforum in Paris: Streetstyle Pics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Styleforum in Paris: Streetstyle Pics - Page 3

post #31 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulan View Post

-Looks like first, maybe second grade children, if not, those are some pretty big kindergarteners. They must be eatin good.

-I love the coats on these two men.

Good stuff! +Subbed+ icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Haha yeah I'm sure that's right. They are pretty big. I just saw kids and thought kindergarten for some reason.
post #32 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

These people look like they could be from any of several cities in the US. I'm not saying this to be critical, just an observation of global styles.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






Totally agree. The first guy was some sort of model so he has that sort of international vibe about him. The 4 girls were in a pretty trendy shopping district so possibly not Parisian at all, and the bottom pic, well I mostly just liked the hipster priest dude poking his head up from behind the girls. There's definitely a lot of people that could be from anywhere in Paris. There is a lot of denim, a lot of skinny pants, etc. But walking around you still mostly get a sense of being not in the US. Just all the red and salmon pants is enough to do that.
post #33 of 61
Thread Starter 
The old French dudes are definitely my favorite. I've also noticed a lot of rus in urbe dressing here, and with that, a lot of Barbour.












straight outta compton

post #34 of 61

 

This is essentially how my father dresses.  Pretty sure he is not Parisian though.

post #35 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




Interesting. Also it was all the mens stuff last week and now women's stuff is happening now, so I would guess that there are likely some foreigners in the mix. I honestly don't know what is definitively Parisian in terms of style.
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin View Post

Totally agree. The first guy was some sort of model so he has that sort of international vibe about him. The 4 girls were in a pretty trendy shopping district so possibly not Parisian at all, and the bottom pic, well I mostly just liked the hipster priest dude poking his head up from behind the girls. There's definitely a lot of people that could be from anywhere in Paris. There is a lot of denim, a lot of skinny pants, etc. But walking around you still mostly get a sense of being not in the US. Just all the red and salmon pants is enough to do that.

As a (transplanted) Parisian, I'd say you can recognize the city's style pretty easily: For old guys, it's one or two piece that are totally incongruent, but they're worn with an IDGAF attitude so it works. Like a bright red scarf with a business suit, or a crazy overcoat and green shoes. For middle-aged conservative guys, it's stuff that's really well tailored and completely coordinated. Very sleek. For middle-aged "artistic" types, it's a variation on Mick Jagger circa "Sticky Fingers." For young strivers, it's black wholecut shoes, tailored high n tight suits, and fitted dress shirt. Young hipsters are like everywhere else.

Overall, I'd say the difference is that Parisians -- men and women -- are obsessed with fit. Even if you shop at H&M you'll go to the retoucher shop to get your jeans slimmed or hemmed. I personally can't wear my clothes as tight as most Parisian men, but at least at work I definitely wear what an American would consider to be perhaps a little too much clothing on the slim side.
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1 View Post

As a (transplanted) Parisian, I'd say you can recognize the city's style pretty easily: For old guys, it's one or two piece that are totally incongruent, but they're worn with an IDGAF attitude so it works. Like a bright red scarf with a business suit, or a crazy overcoat and green shoes. For middle-aged conservative guys, it's stuff that's really well tailored and completely coordinated. Very sleek. For middle-aged "artistic" types, it's a variation on Mick Jagger circa "Sticky Fingers." For young strivers, it's black wholecut shoes, tailored high n tight suits, and fitted dress shirt. Young hipsters are like everywhere else.

Overall, I'd say the difference is that Parisians -- men and women -- are obsessed with fit. Even if you shop at H&M you'll go to the retoucher shop to get your jeans slimmed or hemmed. I personally can't wear my clothes as tight as most Parisian men, but at least at work I definitely wear what an American would consider to be perhaps a little too much clothing on the slim side.

I may need to consider relocating.

I also enjoy pastries.
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

And it it on the street.  It seems that the only acceptable food to eat on the street in Paris are:

1) Baguettes (at one store, where they were oven fresh, we were told to eat it right away).
2) Crepes
3) Gyros
4) Falafel
5) Coffee (this is unlike Italy.  In Italy, if you asked for a to go coffee, you'd probably get hot coffee in the face.)

ftw, I looooove me some good falafel, and @oisin
 is some sort of falafel sniffing demigod.

Yup. Sandwichs (no "e") are OK provided they're classic jambon/fromage/beurre.

Would delete gyros/kebab and coffee from that list, actually. I slug my morning coffee on the metro from a thermos mug and get dirty looks every day.
post #39 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1 View Post


Yup. Sandwichs (no "e") are OK provided they're classic jambon/fromage/beurre.

Would delete gyros/kebab and coffee from that list, actually. I slug my morning coffee on the metro from a thermos mug and get dirty looks every day.

Disagree withg the gyros.  I figure if there are a emporter window, it's okay to eat on the street.  Crepes, falafel and gyros have gotta count.

post #40 of 61

Nice shots, good job. Taking portraits of people on the street is not easy. Disagree with the "nice kit" comment. First of all, x100 is a pretty nice piece of kit. You can make nice pictures with a disposable if you wanted. The hard part with street photography isn't technical, it's psychological. For me anyways.

 

x100 is a bit tough though because autofocus is pretty shit and it's a bit slow in general. For this documentary kinda thing though, these work. I prefer snapshots to a posed sartorialist style. 

 

Nice to see the love lock bridge with no love locks. 

post #41 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil rathbone View Post

Nice shots, good job. Taking portraits of people on the street is not easy. Disagree with the "nice kit" comment. First of all, x100 is a pretty nice piece of kit. You can make nice pictures with a disposable if you wanted. The hard part with street photography isn't technical, it's psychological. For me anyways.

x100 is a bit tough though because autofocus is pretty shit and it's a bit slow in general. For this documentary kinda thing though, these work. I prefer snapshots to a posed sartorialist style. 

Nice to see the love lock bridge with no love locks. 

Thanks. Agree with all of this. Great street photography would require me to get in the zone and also get in people's faces. I don't have the energy for that sort of thing right now, especially not in a foreign city and double especially not while wheeling my Canon gear and lights all over the cobblestones as I was most of last week. Still, I'm happy with some of the shots. I have the x100T (had the S but it was stolen and so replaced) so the AF is better and the camera is faster, but it's still a bit sluggish for this sort of thing. I do love the viewfinder though. I'd go manual focus and set it to focus at 3-4 feet at a small aperture and just leave it there, but it's pretty dark here even in the daytime most of the time so shooting at F8 or F11 can be tough, even at 1600 or 3200 ISO, and it's really easy to bump the focus and I'm not sure there is a lock. But mostly I'd rather walk and enjoy and take a shot here and there when I see someone I kind of like.

Definitely happy that the Pont des Arts is not all junked up anymore.
post #42 of 61
this guy does a good job shooting "street"-type shots with the x100 by setting the camera to f8 or so and manual focus to 7 feet or so like you said. just bump the af lock button if you need to refocus. i use a similar tactic when i'm traveling because the x100 is too slow for that type of shot and I don't wanna mess with it anyways when I'm trying to enjoy myself.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2011/11/01/how-to-shoot-with-the-fujifilm-finepix-x100-for-street-photography/
post #43 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post

this guy does a good job shooting "street"-type shots with the x100 by setting the camera to f8 or so and manual focus to 7 feet or so like you said. just bump the af lock button if you need to refocus. i use a similar tactic when i'm traveling because the x100 is too slow for that type of shot and I don't wanna mess with it anyways when I'm trying to enjoy myself.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2011/11/01/how-to-shoot-with-the-fujifilm-finepix-x100-for-street-photography/

Cool, makes sense to me.
post #44 of 61
Thread Starter 












post #45 of 61
I really enjoy these pictures, thanks for sharing.

And I'll make sure to check the fit of all my clothing if I ever fulfill my dream of going to the Louvre.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Styleforum in Paris: Streetstyle Pics