or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Blake/Rapid Shoe Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blake/Rapid Shoe Thread

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I am looking to acquire some quality Black/Rapid shoes at Carmina/C&J Handgrade/Alden prices or under: <= 500 USD/350GBP/450 EUR). It seems quality BR shoes are not as advertised extensively as Goodyears, and therefore much less discussed here on SF.

 

So let's have a listing and comparison of the different makers of Blake/Rapid shoes. I'll start off:

- Scarosso

- Velasca

- Italigente

- Romano Martegani (not sure; they don't have much of an online presence)

 

Pics always welcome:D

post #2 of 9
Enzo bonafe
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyor View Post

Enzo bonafe

 

Interesting. I only know of the brand for their hand-welts.

 

Got any examples of their BR shoes? thanks

post #4 of 9

I think Scarpe Di Bianco & Sutor are blake, but I am not sure. Even when I see a shoe in flesh, I have a difficult time telling if it is blake or goodyear (some are obviously blake).  The RLPL (and even RL) made in Italy are blake, I believe.  

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanS View Post

I think Scarpe Di Bianco & Sutor are blake, but I am not sure. Even when I see a shoe in flesh, I have a difficult time telling if it is blake or goodyear (some are obviously blake).  The RLPL (and even RL) made in Italy are blake, I believe.  

big difference between blake and rapid-blake. The better made high end footwear is usually rapid-blake. Search for posts by rider that goes into detail about blake, rapid blake and goodyear

pic posted by rider (click on pic to enlarge)
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 

Yes, I am talking about Blake/Rapid, not Blake, shoes.

 

Agreed that it can be difficult to tell BR from GYW, especially if the Rapid shoe has a sockliner glued on top of the insole.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanS View Post

I think Scarpe Di Bianco & Sutor are blake, but I am not sure. Even when I see a shoe in flesh, I have a difficult time telling if it is blake or goodyear (some are obviously blake).  The RLPL (and even RL) made in Italy are blake, I believe.  

big difference between blake and rapid-blake. The better made high end footwear is usually rapid-blake. Search for posts by rider that goes into detail about blake, rapid blake and goodyear

pic posted by rider (click on pic to enlarge)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starro View Post

Yes, I am talking about Blake/Rapid, not Blake, shoes.

Agreed that it can be difficult to tell BR from GYW, especially if the Rapid shoe has a sockliner glued on top of the insole.

You are both quite right. I think I was referring to Blake rapid when I said Blake. (At the price of sutor, di Bianco & rlpl, they should be.) But I will be quiet since I am not knowledgable on this topic. Most of my shoes are englishmade Goodyear welted. I have very few made in Italy shoes, although I am quite pleased with my scarpe di Biancos (just got them, so I'll have a better idea in 6 months or a year).
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanS View Post



You are both quite right. I think I was referring to Blake rapid when I said Blake. (At the price of sutor, di Bianco & rlpl, they should be.) But I will be quiet since I am not knowledgable on this topic. Most of my shoes are englishmade Goodyear welted. I have very few made in Italy shoes, although I am quite pleased with my scarpe di Biancos (just got them, so I'll have a better idea in 6 months or a year).

 

Scarpe di Bianco: it seems they have multiple collections, some Black, some Blake Rapid. The prices though, are approaching bespoke levels. But please do share, after you've given them some wear.

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 

Add to the list:

 

Rancourt & Co (factory in Maine)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Blake/Rapid Shoe Thread