or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

tell those weavers to get to work. 

 

This kind of white collar vs. bootlack kind of humor is in poor taste.

Having worked in a fabric mill before, I can assure you this is why customers are hated.

Weavers are on the bottom of the totem pole; they don't need to be reminded of that.

post #272 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

 

Oh come on - you know perfectly well he was not actually going to say anything like that.

post #273 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

Oh come on - you know perfectly well he was not actually going to say anything like that.

 

He made the joke, right? My point was directed at the joke, which we're in a position to enjoy because we can buy things to make us look pretty. It's the kind of joke that typifies the tension between customer and maker. We want them to hurry up and meet our whims, they want us to lay off and stop being snobs.

 

People in mills work pretty much nonstop with deafening machinery, sticking their hands in between gears to fix things. They do it because a) they have no other skills or b) they abandoned other careers to do that out of passion. Even saying "pick up the pace" with a wink in your eye is the kind of dumb remark that only Rich Uncle Moneybags makes when touring the shop.

 

It's not the end of the world, it just fails to pass as humor to me.

post #274 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

 

This kind of white collar vs. bootlack kind of humor is in poor taste.

Having worked in a fabric mill before, I can assure you this is why customers are hated.

Weavers are on the bottom of the totem pole; they don't need to be reminded of that.

 

The only comments here that are in poor taste are yours. 

 

You owe an immediate apology to this entire thread as well as the Vanda staff for hijacking their affiliate thread and a pleasant discussion and ruining it with your NONSENSE. Further, you should edit and delete your comments. 

 

The 1 BRIEF sentence that I wrote SIMPLY AND SOLELY expressed my excitement and anticipation for the new offerings in the pipeline.

 

BUT, you and your HYPERSENSITIVITY have taken it and created a context that was NEVER implied nor expressed and turned it into some ABSURD derogatory statement about class and socio-economic status. 

post #275 of 556

Relax, I am not upset. Aff. threads are not paid advertisements, either.

 

I know you are excited. You and I patronize many, many of the same makers.

I just thought you were coming off a little strong (the usual for you).

 

Your proposed solution -- gag the comments in question -- is bizarre.

Neither you, I, Gerald, or Diana are in a position to tell anybody we don't employ to "get to work." There are other ways of showing your excitement for ties than issuing orders. Like I said, not a big deal. It's not a class issue, not an economic issue: just respecting the things you enjoy. For instance, I might say, "Can't wait to see the new collection." The fact that you think telling people to work on your ties is a way of expressing excitement, and that when I humbly contradicted you you tell me to cram it, tells me you lack emotional intelligence. This is borne out by the posturing you engage in in almost every post on this site.

 

I don't go around this forum spewing PC palaver -- in fact, I do probably the opposite. Just try not to come off like a dick all the time, bro. Alpha male is so SF 2010.

 

Carry on with the neckties

post #276 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

Relax, I am not upset. Aff. threads are not paid advertisements, either.

 

I know you are excited. You and I patronize many, many of the same makers.

I just thought you were coming off a little strong (the usual for you).

 

Your proposed solution -- gag the comments in question -- is bizarre.

Neither you, I, Gerald, or Diana are in a position to tell anybody we don't employ to "get to work." There are other ways of showing your excitement for ties than issuing orders. Like I said, not a big deal. It's not a class issue, not an economic issue: just respecting the things you enjoy. For instance, I might say, "Can't wait to see the new collection." The fact that you think telling people to work on your ties is a way of expressing excitement, and that when I humbly contradicted you you tell me to cram it, tells me you lack emotional intelligence. This is borne out by the posturing you engage in in almost every post on this site.

 

I don't go around this forum spewing PC palaver -- in fact, I do probably the opposite. Just try not to come off like a dick all the time, bro. Alpha male is so SF 2010.

 

Carry on with the neckties

 

Two other people in this thread as well as a pm I received are agreeing with me that your comments are ridiculous. I don't think I need to further justify my statements...it is very clear what the intended statement is.

 

But I have a MAJOR problem with your new and personal attacks against me. It is SLIMY and INAPPROPRIATE. I get it...your attacks got ripped apart and now you are hurt and feel the need to defend yourself. But it's really not wise to amplify it with personal attacks. 

 

Just admit you are wrong, apologize, and move forward. 

post #277 of 556

sprout2.  You were gone from the forums for a few months.  I miss that time.  Your comments are always either snarky, off-point, non-additive to the collective knowledge of the forum, failed humor, or some combination of the above list.  Before you post, I simply ask you to ask yourself if what you are saying is helpful or informative or kind.  If not, don't post.

post #278 of 556
At absolute worst, PCK's comments read as a lighthearted joke, likely borne out desire to see said tie designs.

I'm hard pressed to imagine one can live in a world where PCK's initial comment rates as highly offensive...
post #279 of 556

StyFo, in general, seems to have had its knickers in a twist for the past several days.

post #280 of 556
Guys, let's lighten up and enjoy the ties and menswear.
I'm sure we can all find a way to get along.
smile.gif
post #281 of 556

Yes we can all get along when @sprout2 deletes all of his comments and apologizes. 

post #282 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshen View Post

All the stuff we saw on our trip were samples - so everything is woven to order, and it'll take a couple of months after factoring in the August summer breaks, etc. etc.

We do have more interesting things coming though. We always do...

Can you give us a preview of what to expect?
post #283 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post

Yes we can all get along when @sprout2
 deletes all of his comments and apologizes. 

Just block him so you don't see his comments and carry on.
post #284 of 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillingToLearn View Post
 

sprout2.  You were gone from the forums for a few months.  I miss that time.  Your comments are always either snarky, off-point, non-additive to the collective knowledge of the forum, failed humor, or some combination of the above list.  Before you post, I simply ask you to ask yourself if what you are saying is helpful or informative or kind.  If not, don't post.

 

Thanks, I was in the hospital.

 

I appreciate your efforts to keep us on the stated mission of the forum, without which we would spiral into anarchy. I notice this is a job you appointed yourself to, so I must thank you for volunteering for the task where lesser men have not. My feelings on the matter are summarized by this post by a senior member whom you also chastised.

post #285 of 556
No one needs to apologize to the thread; that's silly. And as Veremund said, you can always block someone if you don't like or find value in what he has to say, but no one gets to speak on behalf of SF, nor does a few supporting posts constitute a unanimously backed position.

Regardless, I like Justin's attempt to put us back on ties - the reason we're subscribed to this particular affiliate thread. I've been thinking about these two madders - anyone have either one and have a fit pic?



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread