or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JAN 4, 2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JAN 4, 2016

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for?  Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread?  Welcome, you found the right place.

 

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer.  If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction.  The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away! 

post #2 of 18

I'm looking for more leather shoes and boots that can be paired with both a smart casual look (cotton trousers/smart jeans/casual tweed, shirts and jumpers) and business casual (slim suits mostly worn without tie).

 

I currently have black oxfords which obviously can't be worn without suit, dark brown semi-brogues which can go with trousers but definitely not jeans due to thin elegant sole. I also have Meermin boots, which I believe can be worn with all and that is what I'm looking to have more of, as I'm on a tight budget.

 

I hate loafers and don't really like bluchers. All I can really think of to straddle the outfits, is a nice pair of sleek chelsea boots. Surely there must be other styles that I can wear with both types of outfit? Maybe double monks, but that's a bit much for my personal style and again, can't really be paired with jeans.

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock View Post
 

I'm looking for more leather shoes and boots that can be paired with both a smart casual look (cotton trousers/smart jeans/casual tweed, shirts and jumpers) and business casual (slim suits mostly worn without tie).

 

I currently have black oxfords which obviously can't be worn without suit, dark brown semi-brogues which can go with trousers but definitely not jeans due to thin elegant sole. I also have Meermin boots, which I believe can be worn with all and that is what I'm looking to have more of, as I'm on a tight budget.

 

I hate loafers and don't really like bluchers. All I can really think of to straddle the outfits, is a nice pair of sleek chelsea boots. Surely there must be other styles that I can wear with both types of outfit? Maybe double monks, but that's a bit much for my personal style and again, can't really be paired with jeans.

 

Welcome to the forum, @tbrock.  I'm not a fan of chelseas, but they would work...much better than double monks.  A chukka would be another option to consider, but not great with suits...much better with odd jackets/trousers.  Best of luck.

post #4 of 18

So I have a black Suit with three buttons, have had it for a few years. Should I be wearing it? Not a big suit person (Like them just not required in my profession) My goal is to start to dress more professionally so was going to invest in some upscaled clothing... any advise would be helpful and appreciated. 

Next question, can most people tell a $200 suit compared to a $750 suit?

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannahavestyle View Post

So I have a black Suit with three buttons, have had it for a few years. Should I be wearing it? Not a big suit person (Like them just not required in my profession) My goal is to start to dress more professionally so was going to invest in some upscaled clothing... any advise would be helpful and appreciated. 
Next question, can most people tell a $200 suit compared to a $750 suit?

Welcome to the forum, man. Sorry, but 99% of the people on this forum will tell you that a black suits are pretty useless. A funeral or a tux for black tie, but that's about it. Start with grey or navy.

It really depends on who made the suits and how you got them. You can find great suits on eBay for $200 and you can also buy a POS in a department store for much more than $750. No matter what you have to spend, get something that fits well. That is what will be noticed.
post #6 of 18

Thank you Murlsquirl for the welcome as well as the response. I will most certainly keep this in mind as I move forward.

post #7 of 18

Hi there, 

after a few weeks of quietly reading along I finally decided to create an account! I just finished my undergraduate degree in uni and am hugely interested in classic menswear. That being said though my wardrobe is very limited at the moment and I am just starting to build it up. 

When buying new clothes I often encounter the problem of color. Being a redhead I am very timid about this just to avoid clashes with my skin tone or hair color. This inevitably leads to very boring outfits as you might imagine. So on which items of clothing should I start experimenting (I would guess ties, pocket squares and the like?) and are there any good resources about color combinations (for redheads) out there?

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daraven View Post
 

Hi there, 

after a few weeks of quietly reading along I finally decided to create an account! I just finished my undergraduate degree in uni and am hugely interested in classic menswear. That being said though my wardrobe is very limited at the moment and I am just starting to build it up. 

When buying new clothes I often encounter the problem of color. Being a redhead I am very timid about this just to avoid clashes with my skin tone or hair color. This inevitably leads to very boring outfits as you might imagine. So on which items of clothing should I start experimenting (I would guess ties, pocket squares and the like?) and are there any good resources about color combinations (for redheads) out there?

 

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your graduation.  You should find this very helpful http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/practical-color-help/

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post
 

 

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your graduation.  You should find this very helpful http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/practical-color-help/

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

post #10 of 18

I've browsed these forums for ages and picked up many valuable tips, finally creating an account as I'm in need of some assistance.

 

My wedding is coming up and we're going navy suit with a blue gingham shirt and brown shoes. We're struggling mightily to find a good tie to go with this combination. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

post #11 of 18

How about burgundy with a bit of texture. Something like this

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viapatclark View Post
 

I've browsed these forums for ages and picked up many valuable tips, finally creating an account as I'm in need of some assistance.

 

My wedding is coming up and we're going navy suit with a blue gingham shirt and brown shoes. We're struggling mightily to find a good tie to go with this combination. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

 

 

Welcome to the forum @viapatclark and congrats on the wedding.  In case you didn't know, we have a great wedding thread here

post #13 of 18
Law student here. I currently have one suit each in charcoal and navy 1818 line. Hoping to purchase two more before summer. My question is, how light a gray is acceptable or advisable? I am leaning towards this purchase to contrast more with my 1818 charcoal:http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-grey-plain/P4270I.html?cgid=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-Napoli
But I wonder if this color is better or if it is too duplicative:http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-grey-faux-uni/P2505I.html?cgid=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-Napoli

Thanks
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvee View Post

Law student here. I currently have one suit each in charcoal and navy 1818 line. Hoping to purchase two more before summer. My question is, how light a gray is acceptable or advisable? I am leaning towards this purchase to contrast more with my 1818 charcoal:http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-grey-plain/P4270I.html?cgid=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-Napoli
But I wonder if this color is better or if it is too duplicative:http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-grey-faux-uni/P2505I.html?cgid=Suits&prefn1=styleFit&prefv1=Classic-Napoli

Thanks

 

 

Welcome to the forum, @jvee.  I think both of those should be fine and the faux uni wouldn't be a duplicate of your charcoal.  I've tried on that suit (faux uni) and the fabric is nice.

post #15 of 18

Every time I sit down while wearing a vest and tie the tie is pushed outwards and sticks out. how can i wear the vest without it sticking out?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JAN 4, 2016