or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 588

post #8806 of 10667

Purple Shell?  Hi guys, I am looking to buy "the king" , also known as the color 8 LWB.  I am trying to find one that isn't so...black.  Has anybody recently seen a color 8 shell that has that more purple tint as oppose to the super dark eggplant color.  Thanks! 

post #8807 of 10667


Like this beauty. 

post #8808 of 10667
I appreciate your insight @mdubs

I thoroughly enjoy alden, I also agree the couple of retailers I deal with are incredible. I cannot sing the praises of GF and BM enough. Alden's fan base is rabid beyond the other major manufactures and the number of posts in this thread speak to that.

I still look at my cigar indys in awe. I feel bad when people get (exotics in particular) in a defective state. Really what can you do if you pass you will likely wait 2+ years for a remake. Tough call but again it's a sellers market for sure.

It just seems CJ in particular has multiple mto s going for cigar and whiskey and these have runs of at least 12 shows each. Perhaps shell isn't as popular across the pond and they are so kind to leave it for us chaps in the states.
post #8809 of 10667


Thanks, I will. I am surprised at the price difference though. The BB branded shoe is €540 (547 incl shipping), whilst the Alden branded ones are almost € 800. As long as it's the same shoe, I'm not too bothered about the BB brand instead of the Alden brand...

post #8810 of 10667


Sorry, I was replying to Prez' post

post #8811 of 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilone View Post


Thanks, I will. I am surprised at the price difference though. The BB branded shoe is €540 (547 incl shipping), whilst the Alden branded ones are almost € 800. As long as it's the same shoe, I'm not too bothered about the BB brand instead of the Alden brand...

Technically not the same- Alden stock model is Hampton last and I believe BBxAlden perf toe is Snap last
post #8812 of 10667
Fransboone Snuff PTBs. Afraid to break out the shell this week because of the threat of rain.

How well does leather defender work if you actually get caught in the heavy stuff?

post #8813 of 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunted22 View Post

Fransboone Snuff PTBs. Afraid to break out the shell this week because of the threat of rain.

How well does leather defender work if you actually get caught in the heavy stuff?

 

I don't think leather defender is for suede.  An aerosol like Nano is your best bet. In a good soaking, the soles will suffer more than the uppers.

post #8814 of 10667
Agree with chipshot that sometimes the classics are what is called for....but thst doesnt mean I don't want a pair in Ravello smile.gif

Alden Color 8 Full Straps today:

post #8815 of 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post

I don't think leather defender is for suede.  An aerosol like Nano is your best bet. In a good soaking, the soles will suffer more than the uppers.

Yeah I guess my post was poorly worded.

I meant I've been avoiding shell due to the threat of rain. I'm not sure if I can trust LD to prevent spots if I get caught in more than something light.
post #8816 of 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevisIsland View Post


Technically not the same- Alden stock model is Hampton last and I believe BBxAlden perf toe is Snap last


OK, thanks. Snap is a bit rounder than Hampton, or so they say. We'll see.

post #8817 of 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs View Post


Although I understand with your point with regards to C&J, they do their Whiskey Shell Cordovan very differently than Alden and frankly do them in much smaller quantities. C&J goes by the slow and steady concept, limiting the Whiskey GMTO runs to 12 pairs and only 2, maybe 3 per year. They will also do an additional 2-3 runs of 12ish for their various stores and vendors. So they are frankly only asking about 60 pairs of Whiskey shoes per year. Alden tends to just confirm a slew of orders once they get material. From all that I saw this year from Alden in Whiskey, AoC Whiskey NST Saddles, DC LWBs, SF LWBs, TSM LHSes, TSM LWBs, Leffot NST Boots, Madison Monks + NST Boots (6 each), Madison U-Tips, to name the ones coming off the top of my head, Alden actually does more Whiskey than C&J does, seeing how that is 8x12 = 96 pairs and I don't know if they have any additional Whiskeys or sold pairs to other vendors or non-US vendors. Frankly, this makes sense, as Alden is the biggest user of Horween Shell Cordovan by far. Just had to chime in here with more facts.
 

 

I understand your perspective, but I must say I'm skeptical of your facts on C&J's output.  C&J make Whiskey GMTO available because they have an inventory of skins as a result of Whiskey offerings in their mainline.  I walked into the C&J on both Threadneedle and Jermyn while in London and both had Whiskey LHS.  Their AW line has yet another pair of (hideous) shoes in Whiskey.  It seems making these available (in addition to the MTO offering) require production of more than 60 pairs per year.

 

...I also wonder how many of the 96 pairs of Aldens you quote ended up on the same set of feet.   

post #8818 of 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarsdaleVibe View Post
 

 

I understand your perspective, but I must say I'm skeptical of your facts on C&J's output.  C&J make Whiskey GMTO available because they have an inventory of skins as a result of Whiskey offerings in their mainline.  I walked into the C&J on both Threadneedle and Jermyn while in London and both had Whiskey LHS.  Their AW line has yet another pair of (hideous) shoes in Whiskey.  It seems making these available (in addition to the MTO offering) require production of more than 60 pairs per year.

 

...I also wonder how many of the 96 pairs of Aldens you quote ended up on the same set of feet.   

Seems like quite a bit of snark there in your last statement. 

While I agree it is harder to get your hands on the rare shell, it is not that the vendors are only catering to the same people. 

I am not sure that happens as often as one may think.

There are a few select retailers that only cater to their "VIP" clients.

It is the exception rather than the rule.

Anyone can get a rare shell (maybe not the ultra rare like Color 2) from Alden, if they start researching and calling retailers and getting on the waiting lists. 

 

With regards to the C&J B&M stores, you may be surprised to find that while they may have a few examples on their showroom floors, they may not have a full stock of sizes with multiples of each size. They may have done a run with only a dozen pairs. 

post #8819 of 10667
I do not really perceive much snark in the above comments.

It is worth noting that Alden and C&J get comparable color/quality whiskey shells from Horween. The major differences between the look on shoes is how the companies treat and finish the shells. Many in this thread like or appreciate the Alden shiny acrylic finish. C&J shoes do not feature the same type of glossy top layer finish as Alden.

Personally, I think the primary difference in the availability of whiskey shell between the two makers reflects their relative popularity and approach to making shoes. For better or worse, there is something of a cult of rare shell in Alden as of late, so rare shell colors get pre-ordered and purchased quickly. As I and others have mentioned previously, this was not at all the case in the past, such as six years ago or more. Demand was comparatively limited for "rare" colors of shell. One could walk into an Alden store and select between Whiskey, cigar, and color 8 et al. Ravello was something of a rarity then, btw. In fact Alden SF did not even bother to distinguish between Whiskey and Ravello for a period; they were both simply labeled whiskey. Furthermore, color 4 styles just sat for months/years unsold at the Shoe Mart; color 4 was a specialty item with rather limited appeal-something different for those who were interested.

I mention all this to say, I do not think Alden's production of rare shell shoes, specifically whiskey, has changed much. It is demand (and maybe even availability of the shells from Horween) that has changed considerably. Also, Horween makes a a lot of shell in various colors, but I suspect larger volumes go to non-Alden (and non-Allen Edminds) customers than in the past.
post #8820 of 10667
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie1 View Post

As I and others have mentioned previously, this was not at all the case in the past, such as six years ago or more. Demand was comparatively limited for "rare" colors of shell. One could walk into an Alden store and select between Whiskey, cigar, and color 8 et al. Ravello was something of a rarity then, btw. In fact Alden SF did not even bother to distinguish between Whiskey and Ravello for a period; they were both simply labeled whiskey. Furthermore, color 4 styles just sat for months/years unsold at the Shoe Mart; color 4 was a specialty item with rather limited appeal-something different for those who were interested.
t.

I think you need to go back longer than that. I started shopping for shell in 2009 (I still have most of the Shoemart emails) and don't ever remember seeing #4 in any of them. You could see Ravello and Whiskey pop up more however. It's possible firsts sat unsold but I think if that was the case you would have *sometimes* seen them on seconds lists

(just looking at my first email I see listings for "dark brown" shell cordovan and "tan" shell cordovan for $369!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.