I don't know about waterproof but it's very oily and I consider it water resistant. I have a few pairs and think they are well suited for foul weather. I wouldn't go swimming in them though.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- brandAldentagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 403 Brown Chromexceltagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16More
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicShell Cordovantagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicSizingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
Related Forum Threads
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:06am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read Last post on 11/20/16 at 5:42am in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 532post #7967 of 117938/16/16 at 1:28pmpost #7968 of 117938/16/16 at 1:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by smfdoc
Quote:Originally Posted by smfdoc
Its time to cast a vote and all opinions count. I will order one of these three shoes and they all have their pluses. All would be delivered in late spring 2017 and are available in my EEE size. I currently have the following:
Black shell LWB, #8 PTB, black shell perf cap toe and a Regina grain LWB with commando sole.
Plain Toe Saddle Blucher - Barrie Last
Color 8 Shell Cordovan Vamp and Quater, Brown Alpine Grain Saddle, Tangue and Backstay,
Blind Eyelets, Flat Welt 360, Antique Welt & Sole Edge, Flex Waterloc Sole
Short Wing Blucher -Plaza Last
Color 8 Shell Cordovan, Blind Eyelets, Flat Welt 360, Antique Welt & Sole Edge, Double Waterloc Sole
V-Tip Blucher -Barrie Last
Color 8 Shell Cordovan, 6 Blind Eyelets, Reverse Welt 360, Antique Welt & Sole Edge, Commando Sole
My other option is to wait until I can get a shell alt wein when they are ever ordered again in my size.
Which of the three do think best fills a gap in what I have and be the most versatile? Any pictures you have of any of these would be welcome. Ready.....pontificate.
Thanks for the input forum members. I also think the saddle shoes would be the least versatile. I really wanted the SWB, but then learned that the Plaza last is not offered in EEE width. Looks like a V tip is in my future.
Second update. One dealer told me that EEE is not available on the Plaza last and this correlates with the Alden catalog. Mack, at the Brogue shop told me the EEE can be obtained in the Plaza last and I was able to order the #8 SWB. I hope he is right as he took the order.post #7969 of 117938/16/16 at 1:47pmpost #7970 of 117938/16/16 at 2:46pm
Google "alden reverse chamois boots used" you'll see lots of pictures (in the rain!). The beauty of reverse chamois is that all you ever have to do it brush off and dirt, re-oil it, and it looks like the day you got it again. No leather is truly waterproof, especially the way Alden constructs their shoes, but reverse chamois is probably as close as you can get. If your looking for something for the rain, I think you'll find it hard to beat. Hope this helps!post #7971 of 117938/16/16 at 4:53pmpost #7972 of 117938/16/16 at 5:14pmpost #7973 of 117938/16/16 at 5:26pmpost #7974 of 117938/16/16 at 5:27pmpost #7975 of 117938/16/16 at 5:36pm
I was completely dumbfounded. When I opened the box and they were in a torn up J. Crew labeled box and not an Alden box I knew something was up. Utterly ridiculous that someone passed these through quality control. Nearly $600 for that. Did they think someone would actually think that was acceptable? They look worse than the pair I am replacing!post #7976 of 117938/16/16 at 5:36pmpost #7977 of 117938/16/16 at 8:16pm
I agree completely with what's been said , it's oily and feels pretty tough. Wore it in light rain couple days back as show in this prior postpost #7978 of 117938/16/16 at 8:22pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by JSO1
Whiskey wingtip x Harrison Ltd. today.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Looking great @JSO1, very nice makeup from our friends at Harrison.Quote:Originally Posted by MrDV
Those Color #4 NSTs are looking pretty amazing DV. Love them!Quote:Originally Posted by Don L
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don, those Tan Suede Shortwing Bluchers are looking great.Quote:Originally Posted by chipshot
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Madrass patch shorts RL. Blue Aqua All Cotton Button down short sleeve shirt also RL. Black calf belt. Time to up my belt game to shell.
Looking great Chippy! Love those LHSes as always.Quote:Originally Posted by Don L
Ravello NST Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don, those Ravello NST Bluchers are looking lovely and have a great color on them!Quote:Originally Posted by totalair1
I own a lot of Alden shell boots and shoes. I feel there is a minor difference between boots and shoes...but nothing that's caused me to size differently.
Since the boots are taller and go above the ankle I think they fit snugger simply because they lace higher and there is pressure from lacing in a different area.. To be honest I've seen some variance between shoes and boots with the same model# and last and how they fit. I see it more of a human factor than anything else.
In summary I find the difference in tightness or fit to be very minor. I will say the Aberdeen last in general is less forgiving, and so if you have
a snug fit already then a boot version will certainly feel tighter...specially if the shoe version is already tight.
This is just my opinion and personal experience. I own way too many pair!
I personally size identically for Boots and Shoes.Quote:Originally Posted by denver0321
Thought I'd share my J. Crew experience with you all. These were shipped to me today. In this condition. They ended up fixing the problem and even gave me a $50 gift card for my trouble, but are you kidding me? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
-Mikepost #7979 of 117938/16/16 at 8:22pm
I just ordered a pair of Navy Chamois Indy's from Brick + Mortar and I asked Yenni if it was relatively waterproof. He replied that chamois is oiled so it handles wet weather well.
I imagine reverse chamois is the same. It's more rugged.post #7980 of 117938/16/16 at 8:28pmThread Starter
Leisure Sunday. Alden Black Shell Cordovan LHS. Marcoliani Black Argyles OTC. Epaulet Silver Shadow Merino Wool Windowpane Walt Trousers.
Happy Monday! Alden Color 8 Shell Cordovan Chukka Boots. Brooks Bros Navy Houndstooth Trousers.
Tuesday. Alden Cigar Shell Cordovan NST Loafer. Marcoliani Brown Argyles OTC. LBM Linen Blend Tan Khakis.
This thread is locked
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 27 seconds ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 6 minutes ago
- › HUGE DROP: RARE: Gant Rain Slicker Size Small 7 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 11 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 13 minutes ago
- › Sartoria Partenopea wool reversible blazer 50 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...