Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- brandAldentagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 403 Brown Chromexceltagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16More
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicShell Cordovantagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicSizingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
Related Forum Threads
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:06am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read Last post on Today at 9:49 am in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 513post #7682 of 117938/4/16 at 5:47ampost #7683 of 117938/4/16 at 5:48ampost #7684 of 117938/4/16 at 5:50ampost #7685 of 117938/4/16 at 6:44ampost #7686 of 117938/4/16 at 6:58ampost #7687 of 117938/4/16 at 7:12ampost #7688 of 117938/4/16 at 7:40ampost #7689 of 117938/4/16 at 8:54ampost #7690 of 117938/4/16 at 10:04ampost #7691 of 117938/4/16 at 10:07ampost #7692 of 117938/4/16 at 10:26amThanks for the kind words gentlemen.
The whiskey boots are from last year's run. I was surprised to get a light shade of whiskey. We got lucky with them.
Never imagined shell bedding, but would love to have ravello bucket car seats. Someone page Nick horween. And rig the lottery for me.
Edited by MrDV - 8/4/16 at 11:02ampost #7693 of 117938/4/16 at 10:29ampost #7694 of 117938/4/16 at 10:41ampost #7695 of 117938/4/16 at 11:47amQuote:Originally Posted by ironclad
Over the the years, I have purchased a few pair of shell boots with every intention of treating them as boots. Let me be clear - I did not set out to abuse any of these unfairly, but rather I intended to be as bold around water, dirt, mud, and scuff-worthy situations as I would with any other pair of boots (like my 405 Indys). But every time I intended to act with such swagger, I would get cold feet and feel cowardice. Chance of rain? Nope. Possible dirt? No. Dust particle? No no. Excessive sunlight? Shade please. Jumpy dogs? Um, uh uh. As a result, I have a few pairs of well worn but otherwise pristine shell boots.
Early in 2016 I received a pair of boots with an obvious flaw. The flaw did not affect appearance or functionality because it was mostly invisible to the untrained eye. The boots were otherwise perfect and had all the features I wanted in an every day boot for a casual, non-work setting. Dark Color 8, antique edge, all eyelets, Barrie last, commando soles. I decided that this would be my honest-to-god everyday (well, maybe every other as all Alden freaks know to be appropriate -- gotta let 'em rest in between wears with shoe trees of course!) pair of kickers.
Rain? Check. Water welts too, but I'm not sweating them. Creasing but no rush to grab a deer bone. The occasional scuff mark and abrasion. Dust, dirt, and even some muddy fields and yards have been traversed in these boots. Sure, I periodically brush and buff them. The occasional damp wipe down. And they get treed after every wear. But they are no more than boots. I don't think twice. They get worn. They take their lumps. And they get their well due compliments. In fact, they probably get more compliments than my Color 2 LWBs (no disrespect to Adam - I love those shoes) or proper old school Cigar Indys.
Are they anything unusual? No. But in many ways their reliability, relative anonymity within the Alden crowd, and fact that they have become my trusty sidekicks all make them very special to me.Quote:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Right on, brothers. This is the stuff that makes this thread satisfying for me.
My honeymoon period is over with a pair of Aldens when a new pair arrives. Then they move on to the golden years where they fit well, wear well, clean up well, and mature to greatness. They sure take and give a lot.
This thread is locked
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Suit Newkignston in harrisons of edinburgh Fabric 2 minutes ago
- › Suede bomberjacket | Made in Florence | Size 48 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 4 minutes ago
- › What color socks with taupe-ish slacks? 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 11 minutes ago
- › Suit Newkignston in harrisons of edinburgh Fabric 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway