or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 489

post #7321 of 10584
How do you care for the Chromexcel natural? Clear cream polish?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

I see that Standard & Strange has some special Alden pre-orders going on right now:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/392829/standard-strange-official-affiliate-thread/150_30#post_8508474




The Natural Chromexcel blucher is especially nice!
post #7322 of 10584
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

How do you care for the Chromexcel natural? Clear cream polish?

 

IME it doesn't really need much care. I usually just brush mine. If I decide it looks a slight bit dry (rarely happens), Bick 4 and VSC both work well.

post #7323 of 10584

Decided to try my hand at giving my 975's an antique edge this weekend.

 

One of the things that bothers me when seeing pics of how others have done it in the past is that you lose the stacked sole/heel look that a factory antique edge has. The way I did the first shoe also resulted in that, so on the second shoe I tried using my soldering iron to create a darker layer, which ended up working very well (and also sealed the fibers to prevent moisture intrusion from what I understand). I re-did the first shoe the same way to create that look.

 

Another thing I learned is that there's pretty much 0 difference between AE's neutral and chili edge dressing. I was hoping chili would darken things a bit more, but it was imperceptible compared to neutral.

 

Overall, I'd say my first attempt came out so-so, but acceptable.

 

Reference pic:

Antiqued:

 

 

 

 

 

post #7324 of 10584
Well done! I really like the way your heels Look! At First sight I think I couldnt distinguish wrgeter its Factory or handmade! Nice!
post #7325 of 10584
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle View Post

Decided to try my hand at giving my 975's an antique edge this weekend.

One of the things that bothers me when seeing pics of how others have done it in the past is that you lose the stacked sole/heel look that a factory antique edge has. The way I did the first shoe also resulted in that, so on the second shoe I tried using my soldering iron to create a darker layer, which ended up working very well (and also sealed the fibers to prevent moisture intrusion from what I understand). I re-did the first shoe the same way to create that look.

Another thing I learned is that there's pretty much 0 difference between AE's neutral and chili edge dressing. I was hoping chili would darken things a bit more, but it was imperceptible compared to neutral.

Overall, I'd say my first attempt came out so-so, but acceptable.

Reference pic:


Antiqued:


















That looks fantastic! Very nice!
post #7326 of 10584
I just got a pair of shell perf cap toe bluchers and the came with the Foot Balance heel. I haven't owned any of those yet and I am not familiar with them. They seem to feel fine but I can definitely tell that my heels sit a bit higher off the ground. I suspect the rubber heel will hold up a little longer than the traditional heel, but I am concerned these are designed for someone with foot or back issues.

Can anyone fill me in on their experience and thoughts about these types of heels? Any calf or back problems due to the higher heels, etc?
post #7327 of 10584

What's everyone's experience with ordering from J.Crew? I'm guessing their return policy is not as strict, which makes me wonder if there's a good chance of being sent shoes with obvious signs of try-on (creasing, etc).

post #7328 of 10584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasfunke View Post
 

What's everyone's experience with ordering from J.Crew? I'm guessing their return policy is not as strict, which makes me wonder if there's a good chance of being sent shoes with obvious signs of try-on (creasing, etc).

 

I used them to test fit shoes =P. One of the shoes in my order had clearly been tried on due to the creases. There were no issues returning the pairs to the store.

post #7329 of 10584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasfunke View Post

What's everyone's experience with ordering from J.Crew? I'm guessing their return policy is not as strict, which makes me wonder if there's a good chance of being sent shoes with obvious signs of try-on (creasing, etc).


 



I wouldn't hesitate to order from them - their customer service is outstanding in my experience.
post #7330 of 10584
Wanted Antique edges on my 975s for a while now, but was too lazy to do it myself. Asked my cobbler to do it when he replaced the worn heel toplifts last week. Very pleased with the result.

post #7331 of 10584
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Couple flash shots bringing out the patina then natural dark room lighting because of sun screen to keep heat out of my media room for three months. AZ Scottsdale heat

 

Looking good and comfy there today Chippy! Hope that you had a good Saturday!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

^ nice Tassel for SD day..

Looking for Snuff Suede Unlined LHS but.. with the light color welt stitching.. I know occasionally they do this makeup but I can't seem to locate it. 9D. Enjoy your weekend guys.. Golf .. Baseball.. Terrific viewing

 

Thanks buddy, I am not completely sure where you can find one with light welt stitching.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfdoc View Post
 

Now for something different. Alden appreciation long wing artwork.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Cool looking effect on those LWBs. They sort of look depressed or something... :-)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelnik View Post

Got 3 news friends. These all came in yesterday. Just a few staples to add to the collection. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Very nice additions to your collection @Skelnik! Hope that you enjoy them in good health.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle View Post
 

Decided to try my hand at giving my 975's an antique edge this weekend.

 

One of the things that bothers me when seeing pics of how others have done it in the past is that you lose the stacked sole/heel look that a factory antique edge has. The way I did the first shoe also resulted in that, so on the second shoe I tried using my soldering iron to create a darker layer, which ended up working very well (and also sealed the fibers to prevent moisture intrusion from what I understand). I re-did the first shoe the same way to create that look.

 

Another thing I learned is that there's pretty much 0 difference between AE's neutral and chili edge dressing. I was hoping chili would darken things a bit more, but it was imperceptible compared to neutral.

 

Overall, I'd say my first attempt came out so-so, but acceptable.

 

Reference pic:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Antiqued:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Congrats on antique-ing your LWBs. I hope that you enjoy them and that they take good care of you! Good news is, if you decide to go back to black edges, its a lot easier! ;-)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelnik View Post

I just got a pair of shell perf cap toe bluchers and the came with the Foot Balance heel. I haven't owned any of those yet and I am not familiar with them. They seem to feel fine but I can definitely tell that my heels sit a bit higher off the ground. I suspect the rubber heel will hold up a little longer than the traditional heel, but I am concerned these are designed for someone with foot or back issues.

Can anyone fill me in on their experience and thoughts about these types of heels? Any calf or back problems due to the higher heels, etc?

 

The Foot Balance heel is typically a Thomas Heel, meaning that it has a slight "S" shape to it, providing a little bit more support on the inner arch of your foot. It is supposed to provide a little more support and make them more comfortable to wear over longer periods of time. I do not have many pairs with that sole, in fact, I think just my Navy Reverse Chamois Indy Boots have that heel. It should be just fine for you, however, I did not notice my heel stack being particularly extra tall. My Snuff LHSes just got a new heel stack on them, because I wore through the old one, it was a little weird the first time that I wore them, as they were a little "out of balance" due to the heel being fresh and full, but the main sole being old and worn down, but I quickly got used to them and didn't notice it after a few minutes... It didn't give me back problems...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne View Post

Wanted Antique edges on my 975s for a while now, but was too lazy to do it myself. Asked my cobbler to do it when he replaced the worn heel toplifts last week. Very pleased with the result.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Very nice Wes, those look good as well and the upper has a nice patina forming on them...

 

-Mike

post #7332 of 10584
Thread Starter 

Leisure Sunday. Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan LHS. Marcoliani Brown Argyles OTC. Gustin Khaki Selvedge Chinos.

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

-Mike

post #7333 of 10584
^ Oh Mikey those are such a nice non brown Ravello, almost half way to Whiskey. Very nice makeup Sir!
post #7334 of 10584
Alden Mahogany Shell AF2 x AoC today.

post #7335 of 10584
[IMG][IMG]

8 plain toe blucher on modified from Shoemart irregular list. My 1st time trying on modified last. I went with my Barrie size 11D. Certainly is more supportive than Barrie at the arch and snugger in the heel. Overall a good fit. they are much sleeker than thought for modified.

I also bought the modified black shell perf cap toe in 11C, not delivered yet. They'll probably be too tight but I'll give them a try. I'm really liking this last!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.