or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 458

post #6856 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Before and after:

Update on these as I finally got some flat waxed laces.

Went from:


to:


Looking forward to seeing how they break in
post #6857 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post


Update on these as I finally got some flat waxed laces.

Went from: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


to:


Looking forward to seeing how they break in

That's pretty interesting.

I wonder how the otterwax on suede will wear and compare to something like a waxed flesh.

post #6858 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelnik View Post
 


Thank you.

 

They sent me some Color 8 polish.  Do you recommend using that on the handling marks or just leave as is and only use a horse hair brush for general dusting.  I know everyone's care advice is different.  Some say not to use any wax paste ever, even from Alden and others say at least use it once or twice a year.  In this case I was wondering if it would be good to use on the marks.

 

Also the boots feel tight on back of heels and bridge of foot, but toes feel good.  I suspect that is normal for these boots until they are broken in.  Does that sound right or do you recommend going to a 8.5 E?

 

The shell care I will leave to someone else.  But for now, brush them if you'd like and wear them.

 

The foot bed will compress a little bit as you break them in.  The shell won't stretch but your foot will settle down slightly, possibly alleviating the instep and heel pressure a bit.  How much pressure relief it will yield, hard to say.    

post #6859 of 10559
In the theater district tonight to see Hamilton.

Color 8 Saddles



post #6860 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisefi View Post

In the theater district tonight to see Hamilton.

Color 8 Saddles

Unicorn, ha. A stock model that basically never gets posted here. Looking good.
post #6861 of 10559
Cigar PTBs with a little sun

post #6862 of 10559


I went to C&J in Manhattan yesterday.  A lot of shoes on sale but the selection was only fair.  Frankly I was somewhat disappointed at the offerings....still, worth a call to see if they have something on sale in your size.

post #6863 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

Anyway, most every Tanker I see is on Commando, nice if your in a wet climate but I dislike the comfort of the ever popular Commando Alden split sole. Is there another retailer doing Tankers on Double Leather soles? I'd love to see a Suede Tanker on Double leather. Chocolate - Snuff - Green, Antique sole?

If you like Barrie lasted NST boots these may be of interest???

https://unionmadegoods.com/product/alden-pre-order-mccoppin-norwegian-front-boot-in-hunting-green-suede-40200/

Or also reverse chamois pimpin'

https://unionmadegoods.com/product/alden-mccoppin-norwegian-front-boot-in-reverse-tobacco-chamoise-40207h/
post #6864 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post


Update on these as I finally got some flat waxed laces.

Went from:


to:


Looking forward to seeing how they break in

Those look great. I've done this on a few pairs of lesser boots (j.crew kenton)...though never to my prized Aldens...I applaud your bravado. Makes for a great waterproof boot. Enjoy them! and keep posting pics as they break in.

post #6865 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarsdaleVibe View Post

I know this is an Alden thread but C&J is offering a whiskey loafer at the moment.

http://m.crockettandjones.com//product/harvard2-whiskey
And with the pound where it is, even with shipping it's ~$650
I've never purchased C&J but have been looking into them lately. These look fantastic. Where do you US folks purchase from? I assume the quality of these is equal to Alden correct (acknowledging that maybe nobody does cordovan as good as Alden)?

I'd say C&J is better than Alden.

See http://www.crockettandjones.com/retailservices#mailorder
or email mailorder@crockettandjones.co.uk
I think Pernilla from the mail order department will reply.
You can probably also just email an individual store. See the C&J site for the addresses.
Right now is sale season too.

Prices for C&J buying from the UK are cheaper in general than buying from the NYC store.
Divide the UK price by 1.2 to get the non VAT price.

Remember you shouldn't have to pay any customs/duty on orders under $800.

Odd fact: C&J retail is actually run by Turnbull & Asser
post #6866 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clemson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by naspratt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarsdaleVibe View Post

I know this is an Alden thread but C&J is offering a whiskey loafer at the moment.

http://m.crockettandjones.com//product/harvard2-whiskey
And with the pound where it is, even with shipping it's ~$650
I've never purchased C&J but have been looking into them lately. These look fantastic. Where do you US folks purchase from? I assume the quality of these is equal to Alden correct (acknowledging that maybe nobody does cordovan as good as Alden)?

I'd say C&J is better than Alden.

See http://www.crockettandjones.com/retailservices#mailorder
or email mailorder@crockettandjones.co.uk
I think Pernilla from the mail order department will reply.
You can probably also just email an individual store. See the C&J site for the addresses.
Right now is sale season too.

Prices for C&J buying from the UK are cheaper in general than buying from the NYC store.
Divide the UK price by 1.2 to get the non VAT price.

Remember you shouldn't have to pay any customs/duty on orders under $800.

Odd fact: C&J retail is actually run by Turnbull & Asser

Very helpful. Thanks a lot!
post #6867 of 10559
These beauties yesterday.
Close to 2 years old and not taken care of very well.
Loving the colour and rolls on them.

c947cbe4ca701b38ed4cb136a837867c.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6868 of 10559
NST goodies this week


post #6869 of 10559
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD500 View Post

Those look great. I've done this on a few pairs of lesser boots (j.crew kenton)...though never to my prized Aldens...I applaud your bravado. Makes for a great waterproof boot. Enjoy them! and keep posting pics as they break in.

Thanks. Have to admit that in my research I came across someone on Reddit who'd used the Otter Wax on Alden boots with the same suede, which made going through with it a bit easier. I'd wanted to darken and protect the boots, and am very happy with how they turned out.
post #6870 of 10559
Brown Regina Grain Wingtip Boot x B+M (x J.Gilbert).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.