Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 425  

post #6361 of 11793
Who here feels like polish is bad on your leather?

I decided I was going to put a little brown cream polish on my Alden muchigan Epaulet boots. I put a light coat, let it dry and shined it up really bright. A little to shiny for me

I decided I really didn't like it, I always forget that shoe polish builds up and for a rugged work boot. It was just a little to much.

I cleaned it off with lexol cleaner, and water on a damp cloth and then I Let them sit and dry. I brushed them back to the natural shine of the boot. Which actually looks a little better then when they were new.
post #6362 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post
 

What's a good first pair of Aldens to buy?  I have my bases covered with brands from other makers; I would be looking for something that 1) Alden does particularly well, and 2) is versatile enough to wear with suits and with khakis and an open-collar shirt.  Any suggestions?

 

Budget is the question.

 

If you have some money for a life-time pair of shoes, 975 Gunboats or NST's in Color 8 are great dressed up or down.

 

For whatever reason, the calf NST's don't grab me quite as much, but my tobacco LWB's (from JCrew in my case) are great - not quite suit material unless it is in a certain and less formal color range, but slacks/chinos/jeans are all great.

 

Color 8 NST's are a nice choice if you want something that you don't see very often.

 

I've got too much on my plate between now and the end of the year (as many as four pair of Alden), but one of these days I'm going to get a Color 8 NST shoe or boot...

post #6363 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post
 

What's a good first pair of Aldens to buy?  I have my bases covered with brands from other makers; I would be looking for something that 1) Alden does particularly well, and 2) is versatile enough to wear with suits and with khakis and an open-collar shirt.  Any suggestions

 

#8 Tassel loafers. No question. Goes with everything! no matter what these other folks say, the #8 Tassel is the quintessential Alden shoe. Will last a lifetime and never go out of style.

post #6364 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by tps3443 View Post

Who here feels like polish is bad on your leather?

I decided I was going to put a little brown cream polish on my Alden muchigan Epaulet boots. I put a light coat, let it dry and shined it up really bright. A little to shiny for me

I decided I really didn't like it, I always forget that shoe polish builds up and for a rugged work boot. It was just a little to much.

I cleaned it off with lexol cleaner, and water on a damp cloth and then I Let them sit and dry. I brushed them back to the natural shine of the boot. Which actually looks a little better then when they were new.

 

polish is unnecessary for cxl imo. quick rub with a thumb will get most scratches out, or a little VSC

post #6365 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilby View Post
 


Thanks Mike,

These are actually a pair of J Gilbert Plaza WTB boots not the latest Grant last boots.  They have J Gilbert heel pads and must have been a leftover from the last run.  JG old stock must have gone over to B&M when they got out of the Alden game.  I passed on the original pre-order so I'm happy to have gotten a second shot at them.

 


Yeah - Yenni has the JGilbert remnants in her shop. A lot of it is on sale at very attractive prices! ($399 on a lot of stuff, might be some less than that - some really cool makeups). Not sure why she doesn't have that stuff listed on her site.

On a tangential mini-rant - I don't know what it is with shoe people. There are very few websites that are done well (Unionmade, Leffot and Epaulet) and the rest are generally really terrible in terms of e-commerce.

Yenni's site is visually really good, but bad for orders, doesn't show sizes available, can't take an order, etc. AoM's is similar. Alden SF has great information if you know style numbers and are patient enough to wander through their '80's-era website. Citishoes looks like they copied their site over from the Prodigy/AOL days. For what I assume is Alden's single biggest reseller, I find ShoeMart's site kind kludgy (though I just discovered they do seem to have an Alden landing page that is better than their standard 'Mart experience).

I know these are small businesses for the most part, but there are some great tools out there... /rant

(mainly I'd like to see Yenni be very successful) smile.gif


But the interesting thing is, Alden actually prefers retailers not to list all the sizes on the website, they don't want their customers can just buy a shoes with just a few clicks.

 

Alden wants more interaction between customers and retailers.

post #6366 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by tps3443 View Post

Who here feels like polish is bad on your leather?

I decided I was going to put a little brown cream polish on my Alden muchigan Epaulet boots. I put a light coat, let it dry and shined it up really bright. A little to shiny for me

I decided I really didn't like it, I always forget that shoe polish builds up and for a rugged work boot. It was just a little to much.

I cleaned it off with lexol cleaner, and water on a damp cloth and then I Let them sit and dry. I brushed them back to the natural shine of the boot. Which actually looks a little better then when they were new.

As stated earlier, polish is unnecessary for CXL leather. It is not "bad" for leather in general, but is really only needed on calf,

CXL and shell don't need it. There are other products specifiaccly for protecting these leathers.
post #6367 of 11793
Hey Guys.. A little unlined Suede LHS help here. I just ordered this model on my same Van Shell size and these feel much tighter. Will the suede stretch some and conform. Model 2244 F. Thanks!
post #6368 of 11793

deleted cause bunk formatting

 

 

 

post #6369 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefok View Post
 

But the interesting thing is, Alden actually prefers retailers not to list all the sizes on the website, they don't want their customers can just buy a shoes with just a few clicks.

 

Alden wants more interaction between customers and retailers.

 

Which would be great if more retailers carried Alden.  My nearest dealer (nearest to Salt Lake City) is ~600 miles away, in Denver.

post #6370 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefok View Post
 


But the interesting thing is, Alden actually prefers retailers not to list all the sizes on the website, they don't want their customers can just buy a shoes with just a few clicks.

 

Alden wants more interaction between customers and retailers.

 

I'm assuming that is sarcasm. ;)  (at least the first part)

 

Of them all, I think Epaulet does the best overall job - you can see what they've got, in what sizes and when you click on a shoe you generally get nice photos of the shoes in the real world in what appears to be natural light, though I'm guessing that shows that they've got a skilled photographer on the case.  Yenni has a *much* broader range of offerings, and she's a one-person-army, but an easy understanding of sizes and what pre-orders are running against styles would be awesome.

 

I'm pretty sure Yenni would still hear from a lot of folks...  :)  ;)

 

I think most of the major Alden sellers do a good job engaging their customers, and it wouldn't diminish with better websites.  Heck, you could list sizes and just say "Call to order"

 

 

I guess the journey is part of the destination...

post #6371 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post

 

Which would be great if more retailers carried Alden.  My nearest dealer (nearest to Salt Lake City) is ~600 miles away, in Denver.

 



It's funny - I've found a couple small men's shops that have some selection of Alden in Raleigh, which is a relatively small city. I travel enough that I've been able to visit Alden of SF and DC, as well as Yenni's shop in Seattle.
Edited by M635Guy - 6/5/16 at 7:04pm
post #6372 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 

 

I'm assuming that is sarcasm. ;)  (at least the first part)

 

Of them all, I think Epaulet does the best overall job - you can see what they've got, in what sizes and when you click on a shoe you generally get nice photos of the shoes in the real world in what appears to be natural light, though I'm guessing that shows that they've got a skilled photographer on the case.  Yenni has a *much* broader range of offerings, and she's a one-person-army, but an easy understanding of sizes and what pre-orders are running against styles would be awesome.

 

I'm pretty sure Yenni would still hear from a lot of folks...  :)  ;)

 

I think most of the major Alden sellers do a good job engaging their customers, and it wouldn't diminish with better websites.  Heck, you could list sizes and just say "Call to order"

 

 

I guess the journey is part of the destination...

 

Yea, that's sarcasm to me too. Able to buy things with a few click is nice. But what we are talking here is a very old fashioned company and their retailer wouldn't even know when the products they ordered will get shipped. :puzzled: 


Edited by stevefok - 6/5/16 at 7:23pm
post #6373 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

Hey Guys.. A little unlined Suede LHS help here. I just ordered this model on my same Van Shell size and these feel much tighter. Will the suede stretch some and conform. Model 2244 F. Thanks!

They do stretch a bit after a while; have tendency to feel like slippers, esp w flex sole... Try carpet for a few days...
post #6374 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefok View Post


But the interesting thing is, Alden actually prefers retailers not to list all the sizes on the website, they don't want their customers can just buy a shoes with just a few clicks.

Alden wants more interaction between customers and retailers.

I agree and prefer this approach.
post #6375 of 11793
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post


I agree and prefer this approach.

 

I'll try to shut up about this, but here was my thought:  When I saw the stack of 20 or so pairs of shoes that Yenni has left over from Adam and are all at sale prices, I thought how many folks around here would benefit from some cool makeups at great prices.  Plus they aren't helping her business just sitting there.  

 

She's in a small shop in a city that a lot of folks don't travel to, and isn't on a major street - her foot-traffic is going to be a little limited.  Thus she depends on connecting to her customers over the internet (like many of these retailers).  Designed the right way, a good site encourages relationship, not abstraction.

 

I'm sorry for the thread-jack - I'll shut up now.  ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.