or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 367

post #5491 of 10638
new Aldens



ugh...
post #5492 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbrother View Post


These are amazing. I need a pair of these in my life. Where did you purchase these beauties?

Those are from Anatomica, Paris.
post #5493 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post

Anybody have any experience with truflare last. I'm an 11D on Barrie. What would be my expected size in truflare? Tassels has some cordovan Vtips on truflare that I'd love to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDRH View Post

Your Barrie size should get it done

Just to add another data point, I have the Tassels Color 8 V-Tips on Truflare. I tried them on in store and based on my fit it was recommended I go TTS (9D). I'm an 8.5D Barrie, measuring 9E on Brannock. I probably could have gone 8.5D on Truflare but I find that TTS is very comfortable without being too big. Give the guys at Tassels a call or send an email. They're really easy to communicate with.
post #5494 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjaw View Post

Could someone tell me about Alden's "oiled nubuck?" I am curious to know what sort of care (if any) it requires. Are there any recommended products for conditioning? 

Thanks!

I'll answer my own question with info I just received from Leather Soul: mink oil.
post #5495 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post

Ravello cap toe boots today.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

That phone call can't come soon enough. Great boots!

 

Went with their cousins today. 


Edited by csmitty - 5/5/16 at 7:30pm
post #5496 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjaw View Post

I'll answer my own question with info I just received from Leather Soul: mink oil.
Yes but very very rarely if ever.
post #5497 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmallo15 View Post



Just to add another data point, I have the Tassels Color 8 V-Tips on Truflare. I tried them on in store and based on my fit it was recommended I go TTS (9D). I'm an 8.5D Barrie, measuring 9E on Brannock. I probably could have gone 8.5D on Truflare but I find that TTS is very comfortable without being too big. Give the guys at Tassels a call or send an email. They're really easy to communicate with.


I too own 2 pairs of Tru-Flare shoes from Tassels (Black V-tip and Color 8 Atom Wing). I wear the same size as my Barrie/Tru-balance/Modified. Obviously the Tru-Flare is a bit more snug but they are very comfortable after break in. I don't think you need to size up. Tru-Flare is a Truly (Oh yes I did...) underrated last.

post #5498 of 10638
Whiskey Friday? These are half a size large...
post #5499 of 10638

No whisky for Friday, but I did take the 990s out for their maiden trip. Cooling my heels at the dentist.

 

post #5500 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemefive View Post

new Aldens
ugh...
#8 saddles?
That's disappointing, I would exchange or return. I also don't think that would affect the integrity of the shoe in the future. My ravello lwbs have had similar lose threads for years, which consequently ripped due to brushing. nothing's come undone or been compromised. Just sad for $700 shoes.
post #5501 of 10638
Looking for some input from you guys. I got the shell pct boot from j crew on the recent sale. They look good except there are a couple of broken stitches where the quarter panel meets the vamp. Is this something that will get worse? I'm inclined to think it won't since there isn't any pressure against it when laced.

I talk to customer service and they told me I could send them back and they will prove match for me whenever they get a restock. I talked with them a little more and the rep offered me a additional 10% off of I wanted to keep them. That brings them down to about $410 which is a steal. I'm inclined to keep them provides the problem won't get worse.

Thoughts?



post #5502 of 10638

I have done my best to search online for an answer to this question.  I am between a 9.5D and 10D on the Brannock scale.  However, I have a "meaty" foot which requires me to buy shoes with room for a higher instep.  I am in the market for an Alden Indy boot in Natural Chromexcel on the Trubalance last so I went to my only local Alden shoe store to try on a few sizes.   Unfortunately they only carry D size widths.

 

I first tried on the 9.5D Alden Indy boot and the length/heel/instep felt fine but the toe box area was too snug and my pinky toe was bulging out a little immediately.  So I jumped up to the size 10D and the heel/instep/toe box felt fine although the length seemed a little to long (my toes were maybe just over 1 inch from front of boot on 10D).  Both the 9.5D and 10D were fine in regards to the ball of foot fitment on the widest part of the shoe.

 

My initial thought was I should special order the boots in a 9.5E which would solve the tight toe box issue on the 9.5D and length issue moving up to the 10D.  However, the shoe guy said that the heel in a 9.5E boot will be a size C which is (obviously) bigger than the size B heel in a 9.5D sized boot.  For a point of reference, I asked him how the size C heel in the 9.5E boot would compare "fit-wise" to a size B heel in the 10D boot and he was unsure.

 

Can anyone with experience let me know?

post #5503 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post
 

I have done my best to search online for an answer to this question.  I am between a 9.5D and 10D on the Brannock scale.  However, I have a "meaty" foot which requires me to buy shoes with room for a higher instep.  I am in the market for an Alden Indy boot in Natural Chromexcel on the Trubalance last so I went to my only local Alden shoe store to try on a few sizes.   Unfortunately they only carry D size widths.

 

I first tried on the 9.5D Alden Indy boot and the length/heel/instep felt fine but the toe box area was too snug and my pinky toe was bulging out a little immediately.  So I jumped up to the size 10D and the heel/instep/toe box felt fine although the length seemed a little to long (my toes were maybe just over 1 inch from front of boot on 10D).  Both the 9.5D and 10D were fine in regards to the ball of foot fitment on the widest part of the shoe.

 

My initial thought was I should special order the boots in a 9.5E which would solve the tight toe box issue on the 9.5D and length issue moving up to the 10D.  However, the shoe guy said that the heel in a 9.5E boot will be a size C which is (obviously) bigger than the size B heel in a 9.5D sized boot.  For a point of reference, I asked him how the size C heel in the 9.5E boot would compare "fit-wise" to a size B heel in the 10D boot and he was unsure.

 

Can anyone with experience let me know?

Try the modified last if you can, the guys at Moulded have Indy boots not sure what their specific stock is but give them a call they are very nice and helpful people.

 

The length on the 10D may not seem as extreme once you break the boot in but sounds like it is probably not ideal.  The larger heel of the E width ie the C will be slightly bigger than its size up brother down one width (10 D/B) but since they are boots it may not be that big of a deal in terms of mitigating heel slip or whatever may be the issue with a larger heel.  There is variance pair to pair as well and you will never know until you try it unfortunately. Check out what TSM has in stock, I did a quick look and they have at least one 9.5E, if it doesnt work they have a very customer friendly return policy.

 

If I were you I would not wear the the narrower 9.5D squeezing my pinky, it will stretch and may end up "comfortable" but you will be doing that at the expense of your anatomy which IMO is a bad idea.

 

Or, seek another brand (I know I am talking sacrilege within the Alden Forum) but there is always the possibility that the last does not work for you and short of bespoke there may be a better option out there.

post #5504 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post
 

I have done my best to search online for an answer to this question.  I am between a 9.5D and 10D on the Brannock scale.  However, I have a "meaty" foot which requires me to buy shoes with room for a higher instep.  I am in the market for an Alden Indy boot in Natural Chromexcel on the Trubalance last so I went to my only local Alden shoe store to try on a few sizes.   Unfortunately they only carry D size widths.

 

I first tried on the 9.5D Alden Indy boot and the length/heel/instep felt fine but the toe box area was too snug and my pinky toe was bulging out a little immediately.  So I jumped up to the size 10D and the heel/instep/toe box felt fine although the length seemed a little to long (my toes were maybe just over 1 inch from front of boot on 10D).  Both the 9.5D and 10D were fine in regards to the ball of foot fitment on the widest part of the shoe.

 

My initial thought was I should special order the boots in a 9.5E which would solve the tight toe box issue on the 9.5D and length issue moving up to the 10D.  However, the shoe guy said that the heel in a 9.5E boot will be a size C which is (obviously) bigger than the size B heel in a 9.5D sized boot.  For a point of reference, I asked him how the size C heel in the 9.5E boot would compare "fit-wise" to a size B heel in the 10D boot and he was unsure.

 

Can anyone with experience let me know?

Think your gonna get some heal slip. I have the same problems...I tend to go a little snug as Natty Chrome is a big stretcher. 

post #5505 of 10638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post

I have done my best to search online for an answer to this question.  I am between a 9.5D and 10D on the Brannock scale.  However, I have a "meaty" foot which requires me to buy shoes with room for a higher instep.  I am in the market for an Alden Indy boot in Natural Chromexcel on the Trubalance last so I went to my only local Alden shoe store to try on a few sizes.   Unfortunately they only carry D size widths.

I first tried on the 9.5D Alden Indy boot and the length/heel/instep felt fine but the toe box area was too snug and my pinky toe was bulging out a little immediately.  So I jumped up to the size 10D and the heel/instep/toe box felt fine although the length seemed a little to long (my toes were maybe just over 1 inch from front of boot on 10D).  Both the 9.5D and 10D were fine in regards to the ball of foot fitment on the widest part of the shoe.

My initial thought was I should special order the boots in a 9.5E which would solve the tight toe box issue on the 9.5D and length issue moving up to the 10D.  However, the shoe guy said that the heel in a 9.5E boot will be a size C which is (obviously) bigger than the size B heel in a 9.5D sized boot.  For a point of reference, I asked him how the size C heel in the 9.5E boot would compare "fit-wise" to a size B heel in the 10D boot and he was unsure.

Can anyone with experience let me know?

If your pinky toe is bulging out on a Trubalance last on a 9.5D, you likely meausre between 9.5E or 10E on a Brannock, not 9.5D to 10D. I measure ~10F on Brannock and find 9.5E to fit well on the Trubalance last. Alden E Widths are readily available, so you should be able to buy one online to try on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.