or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 336

post #5026 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post




Whiskey LHS's at the office today..
Living dangerously with shell and all that water. I get nervous using public urinals lol8%5B1%5D.gif

post #5027 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post


this is awesome

but then i wouldn't get much patina on my boots
post #5028 of 10731

Just curious - does Horween produce a dark brown cordovan that is not cigar?  I purchased a pair of C&J captoe bluchers at the Jermyn St store a few months ago in dark brown after just walking in.  They also had other models in dark brown, and they all look exactly like cigar.  I wonder if the color is readily available to be sold off the rack at C&J and AE, why is it so rare for Alden?  Or do the other shoemakers that readily offer brown/cigar shell buy up too much of the supply?

post #5029 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarsdaleVibe View Post
 

Just curious - does Horween produce a dark brown cordovan that is not cigar?  I purchased a pair of C&J captoe bluchers at the Jermyn St store a few months ago in dark brown after just walking in.  They also had other models in dark brown, and they all look exactly like cigar.  I wonder if the color is readily available to be sold off the rack at C&J and AE, why is it so rare for Alden?  Or do the other shoemakers that readily offer brown/cigar shell buy up too much of the supply?

 

Yes, it's called Dark Cognac. It is very similar to Cigar, but is not Cigar. Cigar is exclusive to Alden. Some shoemakers refer to it as Cigar, but Cigar is actually a different dye and Horween only produces Cigar shells for Alden.

 

Alden chooses to limit their Cigar supply because they can barely keep up with demand for their #8 and Black shell "catalog" models, and they have committed to being able to produce those within a reasonable amount of time when a retailer/vendor requests a model in their stock shell catalog.

post #5030 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarsdaleVibe View Post
 

Just curious - does Horween produce a dark brown cordovan that is not cigar?  I purchased a pair of C&J captoe bluchers at the Jermyn St store a few months ago in dark brown after just walking in.  They also had other models in dark brown, and they all look exactly like cigar.  I wonder if the color is readily available to be sold off the rack at C&J and AE, why is it so rare for Alden?  Or do the other shoemakers that readily offer brown/cigar shell buy up too much of the supply?

 

that's mostly what horween calls color no. 449 (or at least sold that way)

 

also "cigar" is (perhaps a little bit) in the eye of the beholder  :) 

post #5031 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinsanfran View Post
 

 

that's mostly what horween calls color no. 449 (or at least sold that way)

 

also "cigar" is (perhaps a little bit) in the eye of the beholder  :) 

 

#449 is Dark Cognac. The only time it was ever branded as #449 was on the Wolverine 721 and 744 special editions that AE produced for them. Horween has made all sorts of random colors for certain shoemakers over the years (Walnut for AE, for example), and has many more shell colors that are no longer produced regularly (Gunmetal, for example). It's pretty much impossible to compile an accurate list, but piecing together from various sources (including Nick Horween himself), I've been able to cobble together the following list:

 

Right now they regularly produce:

  • Color 8
  • Color 4
  • Color 2
  • Black
  • Navy
  • Dark Green
  • Mahogany
  • Brandy
  • Whiskey
  • Natural
  • Dark Cognac
  • Cognac
  • Bourbon
  • Ravello (Alden exclusive)
  • Cigar (Alden exclusive)

 

Other colors that have been made over the years and have been discontinued or are less often produced:

  • Color 6
  • Dark Mahogany
  • Mocha
  • Walnut (AE exclusive)
  • Gunmetal

 

Unclear if actual, different Horween-produced color or just shoemaker branding and/or re-dyeing (like what Rancourt does):

  • Saddle (Carmina and others)
  • Scotch (Florsheim)
  • Dark Cherry (Florsheim, AE)
  • Truffle (AE)
  • Cappuccino (AE)

Edited by JSO1 - 4/20/16 at 10:45am
post #5032 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post

Yes, it's called Dark Cognac. It is very similar to Cigar, but is not Cigar. Cigar is exclusive to Alden. Some shoemakers refer to it as Cigar, but Cigar is actually a different dye and Horween only produces Cigar shells for Alden.

Alden chooses to limit their Cigar supply because they can barely keep up with demand for their #8 and Black shell "catalog" models, and they have committed to being able to produce those within a reasonable amount of time when a retailer/vendor requests a model in their stock shell catalog.

"Brown" cordovan is pretty readily available. Cigar is a bit unique and has some olive in it. Alden's model is to prioritize color 8 and black and to provide rare colors when available.
post #5033 of 10731
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

 

#449 is Dark Cognac. The only time it was ever branded as #449 was on the Wolverine 721 and 744 special editions that AE produced for them. Horween has made all sorts of random colors for certain shoemakers over the years (Walnut for AE, for example), and has many more shell colors that are no longer produced regularly (Gunmetal, for example). It's pretty much impossible to compile an accurate list, but piecing together from various sources (including Nick Horween himself), I've been able to cobble together the following list:

 

Right now they regularly produce:

 

  • Color 8
  • Color 4
  • Color 2
  • Black
  • Navy
  • Dark Green
  • Mahogany
  • Brandy
  • Whiskey
  • Natural
  • Dark Cognac
  • Cognac
  • Bourbon
  • Ravello (Alden exclusive)
  • Cigar (Alden exclusive)

 

Other colors that have been made over the years and have been discontinued or are less often produced:

  • Color 6
  • Dark Mahogany
  • Mocha
  • Walnut (AE exclusive)
  • Gunmetal

 

Unclear if actual, different Horween-produced color or just shoemaker branding and/or re-dyeing (like what Rancourt does):

  • Saddle (Carmina and others)
  • Scotch (Florsheim)
  • Truffle (AE)
  • Cappuccino (AE)

 

 

Thanks for the info!  It's unfortunate (and frustrating!) that such a wonderful product is so hard to procure in these interesting colors!

post #5034 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarsdaleVibe View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Thanks for the info!  It's unfortunate (and frustrating!) that such a wonderful product is so hard to procure in these interesting colors!

 

Some makers (like Ron Rider) offer a tremendous range of shell colors from time to time. Others, like Alden, are more limited. Also, makers that use non-Horween shells, like Trickers and Meermin, regularly offer a broader range of colors.

post #5035 of 10731
Is Ron Rider still doing cordovan? Last time I saw him, he said he wasn't making cordovan shoes anymore
post #5036 of 10731
Rider had/has been doing quite a few gmto over on Reddit. Iirc, dozens of people were participating, all at different shades. not just one color like C&J does through hoit's occasional gmtos here on SF
post #5037 of 10731

Anyone know what last these Alden tassel loafers for BB are made on?  

 

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Tassel-Loafers/443H,default,pd.html

post #5038 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Is Ron Rider still doing cordovan? Last time I saw him, he said he wasn't making cordovan shoes anymore
There was a gmto on reddit a few months back with rider. Plenty of shell colors were available including color #4. The longwings looked pretty incredible.
post #5039 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDotz View Post


There was a gmto on reddit a few months back with rider. Plenty of shell colors were available including color #4. The longwings looked pretty incredible.

I'm talking to him right now about trying to get a color 4 or scotch grain pair- unfortunately he's playing the waiting game with Horween.

 

In other news, cigar seems to be popping up more as of late. Just heard from another retailer that they were called to ask which of their cigar orders they wanted prioritized. They ended up with one of their orders confirmed (NSTs). Then there was the recent AoM preorder. I wonder if we'll see a lot more cigar makeups coming down the pipe (pike?) from various retailers.

post #5040 of 10731
thanks to all the friendly gentlemen who welcomed my scotch grain NST bluchers so nicely yesterday smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.