or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 302

post #4516 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidtest View Post

Gents, some opinions please;

I am longing for this specific shoe (previously available from

I really like the dark eggplant shade of the shoe as pictured. Unfortunately, this run is sold out.

I have not inquired whether they have stock in my size, but AoM has a nearly identical shoe listed:

My question is, is the NS shoe truly that dark, vs the Aom, which appears more light and more brown? And if so, with various cremes or polishes, could the darker shade of the NS shoe be duplicated on the AoM shoe with a little effort? Or is it a case of "it is what it is"?

I was just at AoM the other day and saw this shoe in person. It is a dark shade of color 8, very lovely.
post #4517 of 10561
Fantastic. Thanks for the feedback guys. I will inquire and hope my size is in stock. It will be my first pair of shell (but third pair of Aldens within a little more than a month). smile.gif
post #4518 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post

I had the chance to get a Whiskey Tanker in 9E but passed because I'm 9D on Barrie. I'll probably regret this for the rest of my life.
I assume you are joking. Why would you regret passing on a pair of $700+ boots that is not in your size?
post #4519 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry2000 View Post

I assume you are joking. Why would you regret passing on a pair of $700+ boots that is not in your size?

add 20 bucks for a nice pair of hiker socks and he's good to go.

it's fairly easy to take up the extra volume and I bet more comfortable.
post #4520 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldennoob View Post

I received the AOM rare shell twice in last 2year.
I was listed on alden sf and tsm rare shell list too.
But for DC everytime i sent an email to them they said there were no such list.
I will never purchase anything from DC.

as TO said, there's no general email list. but they have a waiting list for their all their rare shell makeups. you should call Kathy and let her know you are interested. she's pretty fair and she'll let you know where you are on the list.
post #4521 of 10561
Retailers obviously have to make money and if they have a customer who buys calf models and basic shell models it's in their best interest to reward their best customers. Who wouldn't want to show up to the superbowl ten minutes before kick off and sit on the 50 yard line.

I am by no means a super buyer but I have purchased a few rare shells over the years by just getting lucky. Happened to call AoM the morning a run of cigars showed up. Just the way it works it is what it is. I know bit has turned many people off but this is what happens when there is dearth of exotic shell skins.
post #4522 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Do you guys pair #8 shoes/boots with #8 belts mostly? Any belt recommendations?

 

I have an AE color 8 belt I snagged on eBay that I wear most of the time with trousers but I also sometimes reach for a Rancourt brown CXL belt if I am wearing jeans/color 8.

 

I always thought the AE merlot belt would be a good choice for color 8 though, have not had a chance to check it out in person. http://www.allenedmonds.com/accessories/belts/dress-belts/wide-basic-dress-belt/SF39501.html?dwvar_SF39501_color=39501#start=2

 

post #4523 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post

as TO said, there's no general email list. but they have a waiting list for their all their rare shell makeups. you should call Kathy and let her know you are interested. she's pretty fair and she'll let you know where you are on the list.

I agree. I literally just bought rare shell two days ago from DC. I emailed them inquiring about a specific make up. Kathy was a pleasure to deal with and happened to have one sitting around from a run last year that was a size that could work for me. It's a half size down in length but a size up in width. I received it yesterday and it fits great.

She also put me on a few lists. I have no idea if they will ever come in but all in all she was really great to deal with. It seems to me that you have better luck if you are looking for something specific rather than any make up in any color.
post #4524 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post

as TO said, there's no general email list. but they have a waiting list for their all their rare shell makeups. you should call Kathy and let her know you are interested. she's pretty fair and she'll let you know where you are on the list.
+1. They're a good group to deal with. They don't necessarily run their business around rare makeups and it's mainly a nuisance for most retailers bc people are inevitably disappointed they can't easily get what they want. For example, when rare makeups do get announced on here their phone rings off the hook for days.
post #4525 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Retailers obviously have to make money and if they have a customer who buys calf models and basic shell models it's in their best interest to reward their best customers. Who wouldn't want to show up to the superbowl ten minutes before kick off and sit on the 50 yard line.

I am by no means a super buyer but I have purchased a few rare shells over the years by just getting lucky. Happened to call AoM the morning a run of cigars showed up. Just the way it works it is what it is. I know bit has turned many people off but this is what happens when there is dearth of exotic shell skins.

does anyone think Alden just chooses to limit their rare shell offerings? similar to what rolex does with the daytona. we see whiskey and cognac all the time with other makers. c&j always has dark brown available and recently had a stockpile of whiskey. seems that alden can easily request more cigar if they wanted.
post #4526 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

I have an AE color 8 belt I snagged on eBay that I wear most of the time with trousers but I also sometimes reach for a Rancourt brown CXL belt if I am wearing jeans/color 8.

I always thought the AE merlot belt would be a good choice for color 8 though, have not had a chance to check it out in person. http://www.allenedmonds.com/accessories/belts/dress-belts/wide-basic-dress-belt/SF39501.html?dwvar_SF39501_color=39501#start=2



Thanks a lot. That's helpful.
post #4527 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Thanks a lot. That's helpful.

I agree with @Burzan I have this very belt from AE and it works well with Color 8
post #4528 of 10561

Leffot Daytripper in black grain for the snow today.

 

post #4529 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Do you guys pair #8 shoes/boots with #8 belts mostly? Any belt recommendations?
Tricky-
I would also recommend Equus Leather. They have a burgundy shade that works well with #8 (except for some of the near-black shades). They make outstanding belts and you can customize all kinds of options. I have used them for all my hard-to-find shades (navy, green, #8)
post #4530 of 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burzan View Post

I have an AE color 8 belt I snagged on eBay that I wear most of the time with trousers but I also sometimes reach for a Rancourt brown CXL belt if I am wearing jeans/color 8.

I always thought the AE merlot belt would be a good choice for color 8 though, have not had a chance to check it out in person. http://www.allenedmonds.com/accessories/belts/dress-belts/wide-basic-dress-belt/SF39501.html?dwvar_SF39501_color=39501#start=2



I have an AE Merlot belt and it pairs really well with two pairs of AE burgundy shell that are about 4 years old and a lot lighter. I wouldn't wear it with any recent Alden color 8 though, which would be quite noticeably darker than the merlot belt. I have a plum museum calf belt on order from Vass that should match my Alden 975s nicely when they come in next month (hopefully).

Some people also match belt color to sole edge color if the upper leather is exotic enough (like grey, pewter, or green, etc). I think black would work if you're really in a pinch. If your shells have black edges, that is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.