PSA: Snuff Suede WT Boots are shipping to B+M this coming week. If you fit a 9D Barrie and want to assume my pre-order send me a PM.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- brandAldentagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 403 Brown Chromexceltagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16More
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicShell Cordovantagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicSizingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
Related Forum Threads
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:06am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read Last post on 11/20/16 at 5:42am in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 253post #3782 of 117933/19/16 at 12:10pmpost #3783 of 117933/19/16 at 12:13pmQuote:
I agree with this for CXL as well. In addition, I've used a brown cream polish on some of the rougher scuffs to put a little color back into the leather with good results. Cream polish tends to impart a bit more pigment than wax paste IMO.post #3784 of 117933/19/16 at 12:48pmpost #3785 of 117933/19/16 at 1:03pmQuote:
I'm on that order, and I'm really excited! My first suede! I got a little carried away and bought a snuff belt from Epaulet when I ordered these in Octobern and I wonder what tone this batch of boots will have. The belt leans a little more brown than some of the olive tones I see around - I'm not worried about a perfect match though. Can't wait to see them!post #3786 of 117933/19/16 at 1:04pmpost #3787 of 117933/19/16 at 1:19pmQuote:
Here's a cut/paste of the short version of my take on shoe care (heavily based on things learned on this forum) - the next-to-last addresses the brush question:
- Use a shoe horn every time you put the shoes on if at all possible. I carry a small plastic horn in my laptop bag, travel with a bigger one and have a nice natural horn one at home.
- Use trees with shoes when they're not being worn. Let them breathe for a few minutes before putting in the trees
- Brush shoes for 30 seconds or so before and after each wear. Brushing before shines them up a bit and brings up the leather, brushing after helps keep them clean after a day's use. I'm a fan of bags, too.
- Allow any pair of leather shoes rest for at least 24 hours between wears if possible. It won't kill them if you occasionally have to go back to back (e.g. when traveling), but always better to rotate.
- Develop a shoe rotation. Having 3-4 pairs of shoes you rotate through helps keep your shoes happy, but even two pairs should more than double the lifespan of the shoes.
- There are no hard rules on care routine. Most people probably overdo it. If your days tend to be long and hard - exposure to outdoors, lots of steps, etcs. - condition more frequently - I'd say minimum every 3-5 wears depending on how the shoe looks/feels. If you drive to an work, walk into a carpeted office and walk minimally around and then go back home, I'd say every 5-8 wears. I wind up picking 1 Sunday a month and doing several pairs I wear the most. If the shoe doesn't look or feel like it needs some love, I'll wipe/brush and leave it alone.
- For care products. I have one brush for each color of polish (marked with a sharpie for what color I use it for) I use and one for daily brushing (which I also use for uncolored conditioner, in my case Saphir Renovateur or Bick 4). I've got a couple welt brushes that come in handy, but 90% of my routine is handled with the big brushes and cloths. I use 8" brushes because I tend to whack the shoes with smaller 6" brushes, though I do have one 6" I use when I travel. I use creme wax infrequently and paste wax about half as much as creme, but I'm not a shiny-shoe guy.
- Use cut-up old t-shirts for cloths as long as they are 100% cotton. Cut away any seams and edges (the thread might scratch). I put patches as well as long strips for buffing. Allen Edmonds sells flannel polishing cloths for $2 that a very nice also (http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/shoe-care/cloths-bags/cotton-flannel-polishing-cloth/SF591.html?dwvar_SF591_color=545#start=1).
I'm probably forgetting something (and it really isn't very short ), and I'm certainly not an expert, so some may take issue with something above, but all of that works well for me.
Edited by M635Guy - 3/19/16 at 3:16pmpost #3788 of 117933/19/16 at 1:20pmThread StarterQuote:
Yes. I have 5 brushes.
Black and Navy (I use a different cotton cloth for Navy)
Cigar and Cognac
Ravello and Color 4
Whiskey and Color 2 (I use a different cotton cloth for Color 2)
It's worth the few bucks to prevent dye hoping.
-Mikepost #3789 of 117933/19/16 at 2:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by Burzan
Doing a shoe box originals week on my IG page @sartorialsketches (in case you want to follow, thanks if you already do)
Come check it out and let me know if any of your other fav shoe boxes need the sketch treatment!Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
i love the alden box cartoon. if hank hill ever bought 975s..
thank you sir.Quote:
thank you sir. yes, patinaed is a word.Quote:Originally Posted by drewvacavaliers
hey everyone, been lurking in the thread for a while, but this is my first post here. i became interested in aldens about one year ago after reading a lot of posts on the "goodyearwelt" subreddit of reddit.com (i'm guessing some of you have stumbled across it) and learning more about shoes/boots. my first purchase was the venerable indy 403. i owned other reasonably nice shoes/boots at the time (e.g., allen edmonds and wolverine 1000K), but i was blown away by the indys.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
i've been trying to expand my collection since i picked up the indys, and i have some aldens in CXL, suede, and reverse chamois, but i've never had anything in shell. i recently decided to take a chance on a pair of seconds from the shoe mart and ordered a cap toe boot on the modified last in color 8. the boot seems to fit me well, and i personally like the look of the modified last (i gather some people find the shape a bit odd).
anyway, the only flaw i can find is a scratch or abrasion on the right toe (see attached photos), and i'm trying to determine if it's a deal breaker/reason to return. i've read a bit about cordovan care, and it seems like scratches, etc., can be buffed or polished away with a deer bone. would that be an option here? would a paste wax polish work? any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.
welcome to the thread. glad to hear you're keeping the shoes. that flaw is not a deal breaker.
thanks mayor.Quote:Originally Posted by Alcibiades
My four most recent buys - all captoes, three different leathers Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
great pick ups and photo. enjoy your new horses.Quote:
yes. i use 4, i'm sure one could argue only 2 are needed... i like 4.post #3790 of 117933/19/16 at 3:58pmpost #3791 of 117933/19/16 at 4:04pmpost #3792 of 117933/19/16 at 4:04pm
^^ Damn. Those gave me this instant urge to go swimming... Thats a hell of a shine of those daytrippers @watchman
btw, thanks to the kind stranger who passed on their 11.5D BM snuff suede boots. It made my day after telling Yenni I cant do 11D. Cheerspost #3793 of 117933/19/16 at 4:08pmpost #3794 of 117933/19/16 at 4:51pmI know a lot of regular posters on this thread aren't a fan of the wedge sole, but honestly this is one of the best uses of the wedge sole I have seen on an Alden boot. This is really an excellent casual/weekend boot. I also like the Leffot natural CXL chukka on the wedge sole...post #3795 of 117933/19/16 at 5:23pm
This thread is locked
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 9 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 26 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 33 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 42 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 48 minutes ago
- › www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page 54 minutes ago
- › ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central 57 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 59 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 hour ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...