or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 210

post #3136 of 10728
Snowy day here in MI, so office residing Color 8 LHSes today. I don't wear these nearly enough

post #3137 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

#8 medallion cap toe monks
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Well... hot damn!
post #3138 of 10728

Out of curiosity, what do you like about having all-eyelets as opposed to eyelets and hooks? I've been thinking about going the same direction, so that the laces are more contained when I take my boots off. 

post #3139 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLP View Post

Out of curiosity, what do you like about having all-eyelets as opposed to eyelets and hooks? I've been thinking about going the same direction, so that the laces are more contained when I take my boots off. 
Huh? Sorry i don't get this at all.
post #3140 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLP View Post
 

Out of curiosity, what do you like about having all-eyelets as opposed to eyelets and hooks? I've been thinking about going the same direction, so that the laces are more contained when I take my boots off. 

 

I think Alden's speed hooks are so close together they take me longer to do than eyelets. Outside of Chamois and the likes which can make all laces a little tougher for a while.  I generally either have to unlace only the top eyelet or none at all. Also the eyelets are uncomfortable when crossing ankles if you sit that way.

 

That being said I would not skip getting a build I really really wanted if it has hooks. If I am on the fence the hooks sway me not to buy.

post #3141 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by budapest12 View Post


Huh? Sorry i don't get this at all.

 

He's saying that when you take off boots that have eyelets, you have some lace-management to do...

 

Personally, I love speed hooks.  Don't want an all-eyelet boot.

post #3142 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post
 

 

He's saying that when you take off boots that have eyelets, you have some lace-management to do...

 

Personally, I love speed hooks.  Don't want an all-eyelet boot.

 

I took his post to mean that with the speedhooks - you take the boots off and the laces are all over the place.  With all eyelets they are more contained and stuck in the boot, so less crap hanging out all over the floor, etc.  There's less additional "cleanup" that needs to be done once you remove the boot that contains all eyelets.  

 

His quote: 

 

Quote:
 so that the laces are more contained when I take my boots off. 
post #3143 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT1982 View Post

I took his post to mean that with the speedhooks - you take the boots off and the laces are all over the place.  With all eyelets they are more contained and stuck in the boot, so less crap hanging out all over the floor, etc.  There's less additional "cleanup" that needs to be done once you remove the boot that contains all eyelets

I mixed myself up - I meant speed hooks
post #3144 of 10728

Luv my AF43. My first photo post here.
post #3145 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
 

 

 

Thank you!  They're my second pair of Aldens, and hopefully second of many ;-) 

 

 

 

Love them both equally.

Are these the boots from Brooks Brothers?  If so, I may have to grab a pair myself.  I've looked at them online a couple of times but never pulled the trigger since I wasn't sure how they looked in person.

post #3146 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsmith4 View Post
 

Are these the boots from Brooks Brothers?  If so, I may have to grab a pair myself.  I've looked at them online a couple of times but never pulled the trigger since I wasn't sure how they looked in person.


They are!  Bought them during the 40% off sale during Cyber Monday.  My favorite pair of boots to wear with denim and chinos.

post #3147 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT1982 View Post

I took his post to mean that with the speedhooks - you take the boots off and the laces are all over the place.  With all eyelets they are more contained and stuck in the boot, so less crap hanging out all over the floor, etc.  There's less additional "cleanup" that needs to be done once you remove the boot that contains all eyelets.  

His quote: 
I have boots with hooks and without - for years - and never once thought of this. You learn something new each day I guess! The thought of buying a style based on this seems a bit much to me personally.
post #3148 of 10728

hello all,

 

alden noob here. I chanced upon an alden loafer on ebay and in italian the material stated is "Leather Cordovan" --

 

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SCARPA-ALDEN-37918Y-scarpa-uomo-/172096755986?var=&hash=item6da5fdaa56

 

could someone help identify if it is #8 or Cigar? or even cordovan at all?

 

Thanks!

post #3149 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster145 View Post
 

hello all,

 

alden noob here. I chanced upon an alden loafer on ebay and in italian the material stated is "Leather Cordovan" --

 

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SCARPA-ALDEN-37918Y-scarpa-uomo-/172096755986?var=&hash=item6da5fdaa56

 

could someone help identify if it is #8 or Cigar? or even cordovan at all?

 

Thanks!

 

 

looks like color 8 Shell to me

post #3150 of 10728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster145 View Post
 

hello all,

 

alden noob here. I chanced upon an alden loafer on ebay and in italian the material stated is "Leather Cordovan" --

 

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SCARPA-ALDEN-37918Y-scarpa-uomo-/172096755986?var=&hash=item6da5fdaa56

 

could someone help identify if it is #8 or Cigar? or even cordovan at all?

 

Thanks!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

They look like #8 to me as well.  I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but the left shoe looks considerably lighter in colour to me.  That would definitely bother me.  Also, Alden #8 tassels (popularly known as model 563) usually come with dark burgundy stitching on the vamp as opposed to white, so I'm not sure what to think of these.

 

And I couldn't tell the from the listing whether or not these were advertised as E (wide) width, but thought you should know in case you didn't notice from the sizing listed inside the shoe "C/E".

 

I don't mean to discourage you from buying these, but just wanted to give my two cents.  Take it FWIW.  I own the Brooks Brothers version and I love them!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.