Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- brandAldentagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 403 Brown Chromexceltagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16More
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicShell Cordovantagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
- topicSizingtagged by LA Guy, 1/3/16
Related Forum Threads
- ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/16 at 11:06am in Streetwear and Denim
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 11/4/16 at 11:41am in Classic Menswear
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read Last post on 11/20/16 at 5:42am in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 164post #2447 of 105592/13/16 at 12:42pmThread Starterpost #2448 of 105592/13/16 at 12:52pmpost #2449 of 105592/13/16 at 1:05pmpost #2450 of 105592/13/16 at 2:00pmThread Starterpost #2451 of 105592/13/16 at 2:03pmpost #2452 of 105592/13/16 at 2:05pmThread Starterpost #2453 of 105592/13/16 at 2:07pmQuote:
Dubs, I don't normally gravitate toward that particular style of loafer, but you are seriously rocking those!post #2454 of 105592/13/16 at 2:13pmThread Starterpost #2455 of 105592/13/16 at 4:28pmpost #2456 of 105592/13/16 at 5:44pm
After spending far too much time in this thread over the past 3 years, I've realized that I've come full circle and checked just about every single stereotypical box:
1. Buy a pair of original Indys in 2006 - check.
2. Discover this forum and become a lurker - check.
3. Join the forum and make my first post with excitement - check.
4. Get a kind welcome from many members and some of big dogs (Dubs, DV, Mac, et. al.) - check.
5. Not quite understand the glory and nuances of shell cordovan - check.
6. Not quite understand the nuances of "uncle" and "nephew" - check.
7. Believe NAMOR's rare boots are actually made from unicorn shell.
8. Make the honest but clearly newbie mistake of asking where I can buy Ravello, Whiskey, and #4 - check.
9. Wonder why some forum members were less than receptive to my question about where to buy rare shell - check.
10. Wish deep down that Sazon is as happy as the dude in his profile picture appears to be - check.
11. Wonder if RTP actually sells high-end ties - check.
12. Buy my first pair of shell boots - check.
13. Scoff at the members who say once you buy your first pair of shell, you'll never go back - check.
14. Promptly start buying more shell, vow never to go back - check.
15. Wonder why anybody needs a rotation of more than 4 or 5 nice shoes - check.
16. Get on pre-orders for "rare" shell - check.
17. Get on a pre-order for Leather Soul Pitt Boots - check.
18. Score my first pair of "rare" shell - check.
19. Realize that what I thought was a good fit on various lasts is actually not ideal - check.
20. Become less than receptive when new forum members ask where they can buy "rare" shell today - check.
21. Think that antique edges on shoes only look so-so - check.
22. Rock my shell boots with swagger, hoping people will notice how badass my boots look - check.
23. Unable to comprehend people's lust for loafers - check.
24. Start defending the "uncle" and "nephew" protocol and telling people to go elsewhere if they don't like it - check.
25. Wait patiently for Leather Soul Pitt Boot pre-order to arrive - check.
26. Angle my phone screen away from people when viewing this forum in public - check.
27. Would rather be busted looking at real porn than shoe porn in public - check.
28. Wonder if MDubs owns a horse stable - check.
29. Wonder if DV gets his lawn fertilizer from MDubs horse stable - check.
30. Make my pilgrimages to Alden DC, Shoe Mart, Alden SF; Learn that Alden of Carmel ain't in Carmel - check.
31. Get the hots for antique edges and start buying every model with antique edges - check.
32. Begin to acquire a rotation that I believe can never be large enough - check.
33. Laugh at guys who claim their rotation is too big and need to start selling - check.
34. Wait less patiently for Leather Soul Pitt Boot pre-order to arrive - check.
35. Wear my shell with less swagger, hoping that people don't ask me how much my shoes cost - check.
36. Start ignoring the "uncle" and "nephew" bashers - check.
37. Calling Steve "See Ya Steve" in my head before people start calling him "See Ya Steve" - check.
38. Actively keep an eye open for whiskey loafers - check.
39. Realize I have way too many pair of boots with antique edges - check.
40. Wait angrily for Leather Soul Pitt Boot pre-order to arrive - check.
41. Realize my rotation is too big and both promise to go on a one-in one-out policy - check.
42. Sell 1 pair of Aldens - check.
43. Immediately buy 3 more pair of Aldens - check.
44. Declare never to make that same mistake again and go on a quest to purge my collection of lesser-worn Aldens - check.
45. Declare that I will not make any new purchases in 2016 - check.
46. Buy 2 new pair of shell boots in the first 2 months of 2016 - check.
47. Wonder if Budapest12 actually lives in Budapest - check.
48. Surprised and elated by the unexpected arrival of Leather Soul Pitt Boot pre-order - check.
49. Depressed and down-in-the-dumps when Leather Soul Pitt Boots don't fit well (see #19) - check.
50. Wouldn't trade this crazy Alden addiction for any other addiction - check.
That is all.
P.S. My wife applauds me for writing a love letter to my Aldens on Valentine's Day eve.
Edited by ironclad - 2/13/16 at 6:30pmpost #2457 of 105592/13/16 at 6:05pmpost #2458 of 105592/13/16 at 6:34pmpost #2459 of 105592/13/16 at 7:28pmThread Starterpost #2460 of 105592/13/16 at 7:29pmMy Alden evolution-revolution:
Buy first pair of Alden shell unlined lhs at Brooks Brothers. Except that I didn't know what shell leather was, that Alden was the maufacturerer, or what Alden was
Buy classic shell tassel loafers for work, again from Brooks
Buy shell full-strap loafers from Brooks
Learn that Alden makes the shoes and has a restoration service. Perfect for my sensibilities: expensive shoes, but can be justified by having them last a long time
Have 3 or 4 pairs restored and they come back as good as new
Discover Alden of Carmel and that there are different lasts that fit differently (naif) and lots of shell styles and colors
Realize Plaza last is probably my favorite
First resale of slightly used, too big shoes. Who knew there was such a secondary market?
Find this forum
Start buying big: cigar, whiskey, dressy boots, Indy boots. From several online shops, especially Shoemart
Rediscover the wonders of suede, especially mocha kid suede
30 pairs later...
Now in the how much is enough phase
Edited by 89826 - 2/13/16 at 8:24pm
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 4 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 41 seconds ago
- › Styleforum's "Just what Santa should have brought" Viberg GMTO... 4 minutes ago
- › Croquis sartoriaux / Sartorial sketches 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of nice gloves...? 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Stoffa Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 10 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 15 minutes ago
- › THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD 24 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway