or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 129

post #1921 of 10567
My Alden Whiskey squad
post #1922 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post



To me this is both sad and ridiculous. I understand on some level trying to protect retailers make ups but ultimately one can go to the likes of bnelson anyway. Might as well afford the customer the oppotunity to swap soles.

 



I'm guessing that there are lots of reasons they're not doing that, and protecting retailer makeups isn't one of them (or at least not a major one).

As Alden has grown in popularity and sold more shoes, the number of owners coming to them has likely increased over the years. This means they are faced with being a custom cobbler for a huge number of people and bearing all the complexity and responsibility that entails. Instead, they're following the KISS model and signing up for something they can reliably achieve. That allows great shops like BNelson and others to do the kind of work they want to do.

When it comes down to things like this, trying to please everybody risks pleasing almost nobody. While I'd love to think they would swap my neocork Indys to commmando when it come time to resole, I do kinda get why they have to draw a line somewhere when there are good independent-shops to fill the need as well or better than they would.

My $0.02.
post #1923 of 10567
Snuff LWBs

post #1924 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post



To me this is both sad and ridiculous. I understand on some level trying to protect retailers make ups but ultimately one can go to the likes of bnelson anyway. Might as well afford the customer the oppotunity to swap soles.

 



I'm guessing that there are lots of reasons they're not doing that, and protecting retailer makeups isn't one of them (or at least not a major one).

As Alden has grown in popularity and sold more shoes, the number of owners coming to them has likely increased over the years. This means they are faced with being a custom cobbler for a huge number of people and bearing all the complexity and responsibility that entails. Instead, they're following the KISS model and signing up for something they can reliably achieve. That allows great shops like BNelson and others to do the kind of work they want to do.

When it comes down to things like this, trying to please everybody risks pleasing almost nobody. While I'd love to think they would swap my neocork Indys to commmando when it come time to resole, I do kinda get why they have to draw a line somewhere when there are good independent-shops to fill the need as well or better than they would.

My $0.02.

Well framed.. Golf Clap...
post #1925 of 10567
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranguschu View Post

My Alden Whiskey squad Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Looking good. Then LWBs look like they want to get out!

-Mike
post #1926 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by M635Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post



To me this is both sad and ridiculous. I understand on some level trying to protect retailers make ups but ultimately one can go to the likes of bnelson anyway. Might as well afford the customer the oppotunity to swap soles.

 



I'm guessing that there are lots of reasons they're not doing that, and protecting retailer makeups isn't one of them (or at least not a major one).

As Alden has grown in popularity and sold more shoes, the number of owners coming to them has likely increased over the years. This means they are faced with being a custom cobbler for a huge number of people and bearing all the complexity and responsibility that entails. Instead, they're following the KISS model and signing up for something they can reliably achieve. That allows great shops like BNelson and others to do the kind of work they want to do.

When it comes down to things like this, trying to please everybody risks pleasing almost nobody. While I'd love to think they would swap my neocork Indys to commmando when it come time to resole, I do kinda get why they have to draw a line somewhere when there are good independent-shops to fill the need as well or better than they would.

My $0.02.

Agree, sole changes lead to edge dressing choices which leads to welt stitching color.

Can you imagine us goobers crying about shades of antique edge dressing we get....lol
post #1927 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Agree, sole changes lead to edge dressing choices which leads to welt stitching color.

Can you imagine us goobers crying about shades of antique edge dressing we get....lol

Yep lol
post #1928 of 10567
So I thought that staying off this thread would keep me out of the Alden game. I thought wrong. First pair of Alden Suede - Unlined Snuff Suede Chukka on the Leydon Last. Very happy with them. First post of 2016:


post #1929 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevisIsland View Post

So I thought that staying off this thread would keep me out of the Alden game. I thought wrong. First pair of Alden Suede - Unlined Snuff Suede Chukka on the Leydon Last. Very happy with them. First post of 2016:



How did you find the sizing vs your other Alden lasts? I've read the 1/2 size up and got them but they still feel quite narrow vs Trubalance/Barrie.
post #1930 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonV View Post

How did you find the sizing vs your other Alden lasts? I've read the 1/2 size up and got them but they still feel quite narrow vs Trubalance/Barrie.


TB = 10.5D
Barrie =11C
Leydon = 11.5C

I went a 1/2 size up from Barrie and I agree they have less room (compared to 11C Shell LWB).

Hard to compare apples to apples when you deal with different models and different leathers.

Feel like suede should expand a bit, especially since they are unlined.
post #1931 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevisIsland View Post

TB = 10.5D
Barrie =11C
Leydon = 11.5C

I went a 1/2 size up from Barrie and I agree they have less room (compared to 11C Shell LWB).

Hard to compare apples to apples when you deal with different models and different leathers.

Feel like suede should expand a bit, especially since they are unlined.

I went from 7.5D Barrie to an 8E Leydon and it is the perfect fit. I actually find the Leydon last to fit my foot very well, maybe that's the comfy unlined suede of my chukka talking though.
post #1932 of 10567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Yep lol

Idk, AE let's you change welt and sole, I'd guess they do a lot more volume too.
post #1933 of 10567
Recently kopped some Alden 990's and took them to my local cobbler for the ol' bl@ster treatment (more neutral edge and brass eyes).

Before:



After:


post #1934 of 10567
@Bl@ster - those look great. Nice personalization!
post #1935 of 10567
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

@Bl@ster - those look great. Nice personalization!

Agree, looking superb!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.