or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › This board is unrecognisable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This board is unrecognisable - Page 3

post #31 of 43

And how about that B/S forum? How many times have you see the Want To Buy ad for the Zegna centennial derby?

post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post

And how about that B/S forum? How many times have you see the Want To Buy ad for the Zegna centennial derby?

Who cares?
post #33 of 43
Thread Starter 
^ who said that? Reeves above?
post #34 of 43
The forum has changed for the better and for the worse but it doesn't really matter.
post #35 of 43
I dislike most of the AV here. It's pretty much 99% the same stuff on everyone. I haven't seen a Formosa jacket that I've really been impressed with. I stay for the David Reeves thread bc he makes some nice stuff, for the B&S and of course to make people upset with breaking the rules.
post #36 of 43

What I find vexing are these threads that have thousands and thousands of posts.  It keeps new guys like me from being able to join in.  I'm not going to read 50,000 posts in a thread under any circumstances.

post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG123 View Post

What I find vexing are these threads that have thousands and thousands of posts.  It keeps new guys like me from being able to join in.  I'm not going to read 50,000 posts in a thread under any circumstances.

Welcome to the forum, CSG. You can jump into any of them at any time...all of us have at some point.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

Welcome to the forum, CSG. You can jump into any of them at any time...all of us have at some point.

^This. I have some threads I just stay subbed to for ideas on what I'd want to buy at a later date. There's a Balmoral cap toe thread I probably visit once a week to see what everyone's wearing and to read about last as I'm a shoetard
post #39 of 43
I like to follow the TOJ thread to remind me how lucky I am for not being able to afford it.
post #40 of 43
I'm thankful for the older members that (whether intentional or not) provided us with knowledge and passion, for all sartorial things. Not unlike tenured professors, they taught countless students and shared that knowledge many times. Retirement was the next natural progression for them.

This is the part where i share blame with other long time members. We have struggled to step up and give back. To become teachers ourselves, even if our lessons would be more high school than college level. We have left that job to the AV's and blogs, which have their own interests in mind. So I understand why it's hard to break down the group think and ad driven brand whoring that the newer members get caught up in.

The waters are muddied out there, and i'm not sure how to navigate through them myself, let alone contribute something meaningful again. I rarely post on SF now, i'm a silent observer once again. Not sure of how I can help, or if anyone is even asking for help more...
post #41 of 43

I pretty much lurk and consult google searches with Ask Andy and Styleforum as the domain limiters on a regular basis. I have lurked probably for a year or two longer than I have been registered. I still see this place as a discussion of menswear and not just brand affiliate stuff, but I don't regularly contribute as I don't have much to add. I guess to some degree, it's like a growing archive to me.

 

Lurking has insanely boosted my knowledge of menswear, even though I don't get to put it to much use in real life. However, I know what to look for in clothing now much more than I used to I have matured vicariously through other posters who get to dress up more often :) After years of using this place to consult for casual brands or the few times a year I needed to look nice and just general menswear history, I'm planning on taking the plunge and getting more generally useable tailored clothing and not caring that the people around me might think I'm "too dressed up".

 

Also, in regards to what that guy said above about 50,000 post threads, that's kind of true. I get the appeal of megathreads for archival reasons but at the same time, I think maybe discussion flows better to some degree when there are regularly created short threads, even if there ends up being some overlap. The tradeoff, of course, is that people who know what they are talking about get sick of explaining things to newbies who can't search properly and probably also sick of the increased surface area of their comments with which they invite argumentative attitudes, as is common on the internet. You make five posts, instead of one and it's more likely someone will yell at you in regards to at least one of those posts and then you have to have an internet argument or just be angry.

 

I don't ever feel comfortable creating a new thread because I feel like my questions must have been answered somewhere on the board, but sometimes it's nice to start a fresh discussion. For example, let's say I wanted to ask something along the lines of: Would a navy hopsack blazer go with a pair of mid-gray fresco trousers in the same way a navy serge blazer would go with a pair of mid-gray flannels or would the hopsack and fresco weaves not be contrasting enough texturally? Or perhaps: Are there any good example photographs of people wearing saturated dark colored shirts or is the look always going to be misguided? I would introduce into evidence Daniel Craig in an electric royal blue shirt that doesn't look as bad as one would expect and then let people debate whether it's because of the lighting and the fact it's Daniel Craig, or whether it is in fact possible but too played out by newbies making the mistake that shiny, saturated dark "dress" shirts are the way to go.

 

Things of that nature seem to be what the OP maybe is describing and they are examples of things I search for, but I never really make threads on.

post #42 of 43
The mega threads serve a useful purpose. How else would a new person immediately diagnose into which pit he should throw his robokopping dollars to earn SF cred most efficiently?
post #43 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam H View Post

For example, let's say I wanted to ask something along the lines of: Would a navy hopsack blazer go with a pair of mid-gray fresco trousers in the same way a navy serge blazer would go with a pair of mid-gray flannels or would the hopsack and fresco weaves not be contrasting enough texturally? Or perhaps: Are there any good example photographs of people wearing saturated dark colored shirts or is the look always going to be misguided? I would introduce into evidence Daniel Craig in an electric royal blue shirt that doesn't look as bad as one would expect and then let people debate whether it's because of the lighting and the fact it's Daniel Craig, or whether it is in fact possible but too played out by newbies making the mistake that shiny, saturated dark "dress" shirts are the way to go.

Thanks, Sam. That's more or less what I had in mind. There used to be far more threads of this sort, and they'd contain articulate discussions that didn't necessarily descend into matters of shopping. And so the first page would be varied and interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › This board is unrecognisable