or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › This board is unrecognisable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This board is unrecognisable

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
There used to be witty and erudite discussions of classic menswear here. Now this is largely a forum for aspirational purchasers of mock-bespoke stuff. How did this come to pass?
post #2 of 43
I agree with it entirely and I truly miss academic bespeak discussion amongst members.
post #3 of 43

Ask not what your forum can do for you – ask what you can do for your forum.

 

If you miss the "academic bespeak" and "witty and erudite" discussions...start some.

post #4 of 43
Thread Starter 
But I was always a minor character in those discussions. A secondary bespeaker, if you will. I can contribute but I can't set the discussions in motion.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post

But I was always a minor character in those discussions. A secondary bespeaker, if you will. I can contribute but I can't set the discussions in motion.

Thats your uncle talking.
post #6 of 43
One by one the original bespoke afficianados slowly packed their bags and left. Who were they? Manton, Iammatt, Mafoofan, Voxsartoria, and others whose names I've forgotten. I miss both their expertise and willingness to share their bespoke experiences. Maybe they simply outgrew the forum or felt what they contributed wasn't reciprocated.
post #7 of 43
Thread Starter 
One should also ask why the front page is constantly clogged by affiliate threads and other information relating to stuff for sale, as opposed to random discussions of sartorial matters.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandySF View Post

One by one the original bespoke afficianados slowly packed their bags and left. Who were they? Manton, Iammatt, Mafoofan, Voxsartoria, and others whose names I've forgotten. I miss both their expertise and willingness to share their bespoke experiences. Maybe they simply outgrew the forum or felt what they contributed wasn't reciprocated.

They also contributed to the march towards #PeakMenswear. In other words, they brought the best and the worst to the forum.

 

I too agree that the forum has largely become a marketplace and has become a bit hive like, but I still enjoy coming here and participating. It is the responsibility of us as members to make the forum what we want it to be. Right now, we have some work to do if we want it to change.

post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post

One should also ask why the front page is constantly clogged by affiliate threads and other information relating to stuff for sale, as opposed to random discussions of sartorial matters.

OI!
post #10 of 43
post #11 of 43
Don't they all go off and get there own blogs or clothing related businesses? Always seems to happen that, I suppose its logical in a way, if you have 100 posts a day on here and you are a lawyer (or something) you are probably not that focused on your day job and should probably do something you are really into.
post #12 of 43
I don't even know what the hell Redditt is....
post #13 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

Don't they all go off and get there own blogs or clothing related businesses? Always seems to happen that, I suppose its logical in a way, if you have 100 posts a day on here and you are a lawyer (or something) you are probably not that focused on your day job and should probably do something you are really into.

I doubt that Manton, Vox, or Foo are now flogging rags.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

Goddamn it. I missed the elitist cut off. Was this done on purpose?
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Goddamn it. I missed the elitist cut off. Was this done on purpose?

Decisions were made at a middle management level. I apologize for any inconvenience.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › This board is unrecognisable