or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers Cordovan Boots and Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers Cordovan Boots and Shoes - Page 4

post #46 of 68
You get 'em zippy! (And I wholeheartedly agree!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

How in the hell is this easier for the consumer? And for that matter, how is it easier for BB?
Quite frankly, as a consumer I really don't care about making it easier for the business. I'm not going to go out of my way to be a burden, but if ordering two pairs of boots online and then returning one is such a hassle for the company perhaps they shouldn't offer it.
For me, ordering two pairs and then returning one is not a hassle at all. And with Shop Runner (free membership with just about all AmEx btw), I have them in 2 business days and return shipping is free.
I'm all for supporting B&M stores but not if it's more of a PITA for me.
post #47 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

How in the hell is this easier for the consumer? And for that matter, how is it easier for BB?
Quite frankly, as a consumer I really don't care about making it easier for the business. I'm not going to go out of my way to be a burden, but if ordering two pairs of boots online and then returning one is such a hassle for the company perhaps they shouldn't offer it.
For me, ordering two pairs and then returning one is not a hassle at all. And with Shop Runner (free membership with just about all AmEx btw), I have them in 2 business days and return shipping is free.
I'm all for supporting B&M stores but not if it's more of a PITA for me.



.

I could go into the whole retail supply chain and what not however, by the tone for your message leave me with the impression you could care less.

Anyyway, there is nothing wrong with shopping online but when customers like you order the same item in multiple sizes because you're too lazy to go to the store and actually try it on that cost the business more money. Example: A) they ship you two and you keep one and ship the other one back so, by the numbers they are - twice on the shipping. Extrapolate that over 25,000 customers doing the exact same thing and you can see how this kind of shopping is hurting retail businesses. Again it is not the online shopping that drive cost up rather, the the negative balance for shipping back items.

Not saying you would damage the shoes but when I worked in retail when I was in college. I would see items come back missing pieces or worn and scuffed up and that would be also be a lost to the business as well.

The thing that would get me upset is when our store would hit our sales numbers for the ( of which we were accountable for) day and Mr. Jones would come in with an online return that we would have eat and then we would miss our numbers. We did not mind having returns as that is part of retail however, we did not even get the benefits of making the initial sale .We would be like hey you can find the time to come into the stores to return but cannot find the time to shop there? I not saying you would or have done that but, that is what I saw when I worked in retail and saw how it hurt the business.

Just something to think about when a company either goes out of business or raised their prices on their goods.

We are done here.
Edited by Alpha11 - 12/23/15 at 7:14pm
post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzen View Post

Thanks for the insights all, it sounds like a fitting is in order.  Unfortunately none of the stores in my area have a 10 or 10.5 in stock, the two sizes I'd be deciding between.  BB CS did say I can work with a SA in store and have them pull from inventory to try the sizes on, which I may do after the holiday.

One other thing I wish I could get is a consensus on shell as a foul weather boot material.  I read in places that it's more resilient and lower maintenance than calf, but then I also see people say it's a more fickle foul weather material with it's water spotting, etc.  How does this specific Peal cordo boot hold up in the winter weather for you guys?
Gah, I apologize for misleading you earlier today. After a lot of the other replies I thought I was a half size down on the Peal Cordovan boots. I am not. I went true to size. I double checked when I got home today. I was wrong. I am a 10.5d in AE 5 last (park ave, etc) and i got a 10.5d in the Peal boot. BUT, they are a bit roomy, which I prefer.

Sorry for any confusion on my part.
post #49 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

How in the hell is this easier for the consumer? And for that matter, how is it easier for BB?
Quite frankly, as a consumer I really don't care about making it easier for the business. I'm not going to go out of my way to be a burden, but if ordering two pairs of boots online and then returning one is such a hassle for the company perhaps they shouldn't offer it.
For me, ordering two pairs and then returning one is not a hassle at all. And with Shop Runner (free membership with just about all AmEx btw), I have them in 2 business days and return shipping is free.
I'm all for supporting B&M stores but not if it's more of a PITA for me.



.

I could go into the whole retail supply chain and what not however, by the tone for your message leave me with the impression you could care less.

Anyyway, there is nothing wrong with shopping online but when customers like you order the same item in multiple sizes because you're too lazy to go to the store and actually try it on that cost the business more money. Example: A) they ship you two and you keep one and ship the other one back so, by the numbers they are - twice on the shipping. Extrapolate that over 25,000 customers doing the exact same thing and you can see how this kind of shopping is hurting retail businesses. Again it is not the online shopping that drive cost up rather, the the negative balance for shipping back items.

Not saying you would damage the shoes but when I worked in retail when I was in college. I would see items come back missing pieces or worn and scuffed up and that would be also be a lost to the business as well.

The thing that would get me upset is when our store would hit our sales numbers for the ( of which we were accountable for) day and Mr. Jones would come in with an online return that we would have eat and then we would miss our numbers. We did not mind having returns as that is part of retail however, we did not even get the benefits of making the initial sale .We would be like hey you can find the time to come into the stores to return but cannot find the time to shop there? I not saying you would or have done that but, that is what I saw when I worked in retail and saw how it hurt the business.

Just something to think about when a company either goes out of business or raised their prices on their goods.

We are done here.

You have not presented a compelling argument..
If it costs me time, and gas and parking that costs me actual money. There's an alternative that doesn't. Plus I get airline miles.
Imagine if I order one pair online and it doesn't fit so I return them. Then I order another pair and keep those. By your reasoning, is that better or worse than the order 2 sizes scenario?
post #50 of 68
Thread Starter 

When faced with a sizing conundrum, I have actually had the Brooks associate say; "Order both sizes and return the one that does not fit properly....."

post #51 of 68
I'm with most other people here. I would order two sizes online and return the one that doesn't fit. I honestly don't like dealing with the people at 346 for the most part. My local Brooks Brothers is pretty small too and I also wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to get two sizes into store and in a worst case scenario having neither of them fit.
post #52 of 68
"You have not presented a compelling argument.."

I am sorry if you missed wherw I clearly explained the process and how it hurts the business. I do not need to present an argument on something that is so static in nature as such it is self-evident. Therefore can be understood with the most Elementary of business acumen.

Not trying to come of as pretentious as that is not my intent here rather, show you how your action with on serve to drive up the operating costs. This will surely manifest itself in the pricing increase.

To bring this conversation 360 and close this topic from further debate I will say this: is of convenient to you that you can shop online and order multiple items of the same like All because itnin too much of your personal time to visit a store. The answer would be yea. However, the cost and lost of profitability with also be an inconvience in the way of additional funds being required to purchase.

BTW: opinions are open to debate while on the other hand facts need not have the walk the same path in conversation.
post #53 of 68
Thread Starter 

Burgundy High Boots:

 

photo IMG_0459_zpstn85xnyh.jpg

post #54 of 68
^Crazy pants
post #55 of 68

Maiden run of the Peal Brogues:

 

41WgyfE.jpg
post #56 of 68
Don't know if I missed this, but are the Peal brogues different from the RL Marlow cordovan brogues? If so, what are the salient differences?
post #57 of 68

Some key differences:

 

1) They're made at the Peal and Co factory instead of the Ralph Lauren factory

2) The Peal and Co factory is more efficient so they're able to price them at $750 instead of $1000

 

Kidding aside, they are cheaper and are on the 240 last. I personally find the 240 good TTS (wider feet, high instep) but it sounds like others really hate the last. No storm welt so they're a little more clean-looking. Other than that, having handled the Marlow only but having a pair of Peal brogues awaiting final decision at home, I don't think there's really any major difference. 

 

If the last appeals, you're also much more likely to get a deal... mine were $450 (although it seems as though the Marlow new on Ebay price is usually around $500).

post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedblue View Post
 

Some key differences:

 

1) They're made at the Peal and Co factory instead of the Ralph Lauren factory

2) The Peal and Co factory is more efficient so they're able to price them at $750 instead of $1000

 

Kidding aside, they are cheaper and are on the 240 last. I personally find the 240 good TTS (wider feet, high instep) but it sounds like others really hate the last. No storm welt so they're a little more clean-looking. Other than that, having handled the Marlow only but having a pair of Peal brogues awaiting final decision at home, I don't think there's really any major difference. 

 

If the last appeals, you're also much more likely to get a deal... mine were $450 (although it seems as though the Marlow new on Ebay price is usually around $500).


And, the front medallion is different.

post #59 of 68

Price for those Peal Brogues just went up to $1k on BB site!!! Jesus!!!

post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha11 View Post

I could go into the whole retail supply chain and what not however, by the tone for your message leave me with the impression you could care less.

Anyyway, there is nothing wrong with shopping online but when customers like you order the same item in multiple sizes because you're too lazy to go to the store and actually try it on that cost the business more money. Example: A) they ship you two and you keep one and ship the other one back so, by the numbers they are - twice on the shipping. Extrapolate that over 25,000 customers doing the exact same thing and you can see how this kind of shopping is hurting retail businesses. Again it is not the online shopping that drive cost up rather, the the negative balance for shipping back items.

Not saying you would damage the shoes but when I worked in retail when I was in college. I would see items come back missing pieces or worn and scuffed up and that would be also be a lost to the business as well.

The thing that would get me upset is when our store would hit our sales numbers for the ( of which we were accountable for) day and Mr. Jones would come in with an online return that we would have eat and then we would miss our numbers. We did not mind having returns as that is part of retail however, we did not even get the benefits of making the initial sale .We would be like hey you can find the time to come into the stores to return but cannot find the time to shop there? I not saying you would or have done that but, that is what I saw when I worked in retail and saw how it hurt the business.

Just something to think about when a company either goes out of business or raised their prices on their goods.

We are done here.

the flaw in your argument is that you are not including the cost of maintaining a retail store and inventory at the store in your cost analysis. shipping two pairs of shoes is probably very similar to shipping one pair, and the return shipping is, lets say, $10.

in return, the company does not need to maintain stock at the store, or spend money on sales staff to assist the customer. lets say an associate gets paid like $10 an hour, and a customer spends like 30 minutes of the associate's time, well that's $5. then you gotta account for the cost of the space that shoe is taking up over X months in what is likely a high rent downtown store and the return shipping definitely comes out ahead.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett and Jones for Brooks Brothers Cordovan Boots and Shoes