or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 14, 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 14, 2015

post #1 of 73
Thread Starter 

New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for?  Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread?  Welcome, you found the right place.

 

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer.  If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction.  The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away! 

post #2 of 73

Awesome.  Can anyone tell me if this is considered a point collar or spread? Or is it a big point collar?

 

 

Which one is the closest looking collar to the above photos?

 


Edited by Suntory - 12/14/15 at 3:07am
post #3 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory View Post
 

Awesome.  Can anyone tell me if this is considered a point collar or spread? Or is it a big point collar?

 

 

Which one is the closest looking collar to the above photos?

 

 

 

The first looks closest to the wide spread 2 button and the second the wide spread...but that's just the closest resemblance to the collars you posted.  I don't think either of them are point collars.

post #4 of 73
Hope this is the right spot to ask this. Questions about Ralph Lauren Black Label. I noticed I can get my size on sale. I love the look, but I've held back for a few reasons: I wear suits every day, but don't see this as the type of suit you just wear to the office because it's rather distinctive. As a result, it seems like a lot of money for special occasions/nicer events. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but trying to be realistic in how something like this fits in my wardrobe.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
post #5 of 73

Hi, I'm a new member here. I have some tie/knot questions. When I tie a four in hand knot, it always comes out angled to (my) left. I know the knot is not supposed to be symmetric, but this is almost too much of an angle. I suspect it's the way that I'm putting a dimple in it that's forcing it to strain in one direction.

 

My second question is, when buying a new tie (for someone who hasn't perfected the knot yet), how do you tell if the tie can knot well or not. I love wearing ties, but I have such a hard time getting the "right" knot.

 

EDIT: I also had one more question: what measurements of my body should I have on hand when purchasing clothing and shoes online? I especially don't know how to go about it with shoes since different lasts fit me differently.


Edited by Ali29 - 12/14/15 at 8:27am
post #6 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post

Hope this is the right spot to ask this. Questions about Ralph Lauren Black Label. I noticed I can get my size on sale. I love the look, but I've held back for a few reasons: I wear suits every day, but don't see this as the type of suit you just wear to the office because it's rather distinctive. As a result, it seems like a lot of money for special occasions/nicer events. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, but trying to be realistic in how something like this fits in my wardrobe.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Welcome to the forum. Which one are you looking at specifically? There are plenty of RLBL suits that are great for standard office wear.
post #7 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali29 View Post

Hi, I'm a new member here. I have some tie/knot questions. When I tie a four in hand knot, it always comes out angled to (my) left. I know the knot is not supposed to be symmetric, but this is almost too much of an angle. I suspect it's the way that I'm putting a dimple in it that's forcing it to strain in one direction.

My second question is, when buying a new tie (for someone who hasn't perfected the knot yet), how do you tell if the tie can knot well or not. I love wearing ties, but I have such a hard time getting the "right" knot.

EDIT: I also had one more question: what measurements of my body should I have on hand when purchasing clothing and shoes online? I especially don't know how to go about it with shoes since different lasts fit me differently.

Welcome to the forum, Ali. FIH is my knot of choice and sometimes it's cocked to one side and sometimes it isn't. I wouldn't worry too much about it...doesn't need to be perfect.

For the most part, quality ties tie quality knots. There are some cheap ties you can get a good knot out of, but it's a real crap shoot. Don't go below Brooks Brothers quality. If you can afford it, look for Drakes on sale or eBay.

For shirts, you'll want to know your neck, shoulders, chest, waist, and arms. For trousers, you'll want to know your waist, thighs, and how big of a leg opening you want...unfinished hem is preferred so they can be hemmed to your inseam. For shoes, it's just a matter of trying them...trial and error. Don't order any shoes that aren't easily returnable.
post #8 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

Welcome to the forum. Which one are you looking at specifically? There are plenty of RLBL suits that are great for standard office wear.

The Anthony Solid Suit in Navy
post #9 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post

The Anthony Solid Suit in Navy

That's a staple office suit.
post #10 of 73
Ok thanks. My suits take somewhat of a beating so I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it. It's a beautiful suit. I love the look.
post #11 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post

Ok thanks. My suits take somewhat of a beating so I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it. It's a beautiful suit. I love the look.

I can't really say it is worth it without knowing your financial situation or how you take care of your suits...but it's a nice suit that could be a staple in your wardrobe. If it's just going to get trashed, might want to go to a place like Suit Supply and get two for that price. Whatever you think is best for you. Cheers.
post #12 of 73
Fair enough. I do appreciate the insight. By hard on my suits, I meant I have to wear suits a lot. They get good use. I do try to take good care of my clothes, however.
post #13 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


For shirts, you'll want to know your neck, shoulders, chest, waist, and arms. For trousers, you'll want to know your waist, thighs, and how big of a leg opening you want...unfinished hem is preferred so they can be hemmed to your inseam. For shoes, it's just a matter of trying them...trial and error. Don't order any shoes that aren't easily returnable.

 

Thank you for that info. Is there some kind of graphic that shows exactly how those measurements are defined (i.e. from where to where on the body)?

post #14 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali29 View Post

Thank you for that info. Is there some kind of graphic that shows exactly how those measurements are defined (i.e. from where to where on the body)?

Suit Supply has some good video tutorials. Just be aware that not all shops measure the same. The ones that provide measurements will usually tell you how they measure; i.e., shoulder from seam to seam or seam to collar and back down to seam.
post #15 of 73

I currently have three pairs of shoes that I rotate between (Allen Edmonds McAllister, Magnani boots, and White's Bounty Hunters). I want something slightly more casual, but along the same style (i.e. I don't want to wear sneakers). I want to be able to wear the shoes just about anywhere. Would my best option be penny loafers or is there some other shoe that would work for me? Also, is there a huge quality difference between getting loafers from Quoddy versus Alden? In other words, is the cost increase worth it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 14, 2015