or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › End of Bills Khakis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

End of Bills Khakis - Page 2

post #16 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Has ANYONE had any of their orders fulfilled over the past month???


I placed an order at the beginning of December. It sat as "processing" for almost a week and my charge on my card disappeared, so I assumed they had cancelled the order. Then after about a week the order shipped. It hasn't arrived yet, so I suppose it could be a box of wadded up newspaper and rocks :) I'm guessing the charge will reappear on Monday.

 

I only got two pairs of the weathered canvas M2 pants (not the 5 pocket, which I don't like). I got them unhemmed since I'll just do it myself since I prefer a topstitch. They aren't searchable on the site, but I had found them with a google search and had them in my cart for a while, then I struck when the uncharacteristic 70% off deal hit. 

 

I hope the brand doesn't get ruined. The M2 weathered canvas are my favorite pants. Strangely, I'm not a big fan of the M2 cut outside of the canvas or cords. I have some of the original twill in the same size and they are much looser in the seat and thigh, despite the waist being the same. Same with the chamois and vintage.

post #17 of 73
Just to follow up.  
 
I had placed several orders at 70% off...wide range of items including both of the incredible Barnett belts, Poplin and gabardine wool pants (not on site under pants unless you do a search for them) and more.
 
Received an order yesterday, with no notice.  This was the most recent order I placed, they said ordering unhemmed would speed the process / get things shipped faster.  Based on that, I am still expecting the rest of items that I ordered hemmed.
 
The M2 and M3 both fit me as intended and at liquidation pricing they seem quite a bargain, a significant upgrade from similarly priced choices.  Not sure how long they will run like this, I see a 60% sale again today but I am done.
 
ALSO received Cramertons and Bullards from Wingtip @ 50% discount...that Bills does not have in stock.  In this weather, I am loving the 10 ounce Bullards. 
post #18 of 73

I got my first order yesterday. I also got an email from customer service, perhaps due to my three unanswered emails but maybe it was to all customers, with a coupon for an additional 20% off orders through the end of the month.

 

The weathered canvas showed up today on the site under the 70% specials. That with the additional 20% (calculated after the initial discount, of course) off is really, really tempting...

post #19 of 73

Have confirmed that a range of items (Country Woolens, Wool Donegals, Fleece lined, Corduroys) won't ever ship and my cc was never billed for them.

 

My last items showed up today...I received an email yesterday with UPS tracking number.  

 

Placed another order today knowing some items may or may not ship.  

 

They have been square with my orders, though near impossible to reach.

post #20 of 73
Out of nowhere, got a shipping notification. Good news!
post #21 of 73
The original Bill's concept was excellent (except the fit) and, in my opinion, could still be a brand with value but it will take some work. I agree with @LA Guy that they need to attract a younger, premium audience. If they began by releasing a WWII khaki, true vintage reissue, Made in America, but with Japanese fanaticism about detail and production, they would have a great story, reflect their heritage and offer a better quality product to attract a new, younger audience. Then you follow up with a leaner, trimmer model, followed by guest designer models with interesting details. (like a Nigel Cabourn). You make a move to place these into the best of the online retailers and specialty shops.

However, brands like this are most often in recent years purchased and then sublicensed to manufactures who in turn place it directly into outlet malls or a specific mass channel. There might even be an attempt to "flip" the brand ASAP to a Target or Khol's who would buy it and make it a house brand. At that point the whole DNA of the brand changes. They cut corners at every turn to offer a profitable low cost consumer item. It might be OK and a good value but it won't be a better Bill's Khakis.
post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

The original Bill's concept was excellent (except the fit) and, in my opinion, could still be a brand with value but it will take some work. I agree with @LA Guy that they need to attract a younger, premium audience. If they began by releasing a WWII khaki, true vintage reissue, Made in America, but with Japanese fanaticism about detail and production, they would have a great story, reflect their heritage and offer a better quality product to attract a new, younger audience. Then you follow up with a leaner, trimmer model, followed by guest designer models with interesting details. (like a Nigel Cabourn). You make a move to place these into the best of the online retailers and specialty shops.

However, brands like this are most often in recent years purchased and then sublicensed to manufactures who in turn place it directly into outlet malls or a specific mass channel. There might even be an attempt to "flip" the brand ASAP to a Target or Khol's who would buy it and make it a house brand. At that point the whole DNA of the brand changes. They cut corners at every turn to offer a profitable low cost consumer item. It might be OK and a good value but it won't be a better Bill's Khakis.

In my mind, this would have to be done without alienating their core audience, so they are stuck in a position that very few companies have been able to navigate well.  I think that marketing of the different products will be key.  

 

The original BIll Khakis, which is sold as "MTM" and often sold alongside brands like Tommy Bahama in the many mens boutiques across middle America, in chains like Patrick James and very traditional stores like Anderson and Emami (catering to the older Spokane professional - you've seen the stores - they have some Polo, some Jack Victor, maybe some Canali for their big spenders - often some Alden shoes alongside some completely forgettable Italian brands) needs to remain more or less intact.  That could be called "Bill's Khakis", maybe.  

 

The younger line could actually have a more "heritage" name, hopefully not in the "noun+noun" naming convention that will be soon outdated.  Maybe something like... "Bill's Khakis Archival Clothing" or something similar, marketed in a similar way to RRL, but at more accessible prices, and with clothing that appeals to a wide demographic, and could also be sold in more convervative stores as well as in more directional boutiques.  Engineered Garments seems to be able to do this well.  Those boutiques, though no younger person will shop in them, give the brand an air of authenticity that a trendy boutique cannot.

post #23 of 73
Hello everyone.

Having never tried anything from Bills Khakis, I am having a hard time figuring out, which size and fit will work best. I have been trying to contact customer service, but I am put on a perpetual hold.

As a reference point, for dress slacks I prefer the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald cut in 32 waist. I won't wear anything wider than the Fitzgerald cut for dress pants. For chinos I wear Banana Republic Emerson fit in 30/30. So I do prefer the trimmer fit, but don't like super tight fits with very low rises.

I ordered couple of the M3 wool gabardine pants in 32 waist, hoping that they will fit. I would like to also add few khakis in the various materials that they have, but I am hesitating to pull the trigger in a blind.

Lastly, I would like to add few sweaters, as well. I usually go with XS in J Crew and Banana Republic (some styles I can pull off S also). BB Red Fleece I can also do S. Do you know how BK’s sizing stacks up against these brands? It seems they only go down to S.

Thank you for any advice that you can provide.
post #24 of 73

Can't help with sizing but check out the Barnett belts.  Not available on site during current sale until this morning.  

I bought 2 at 70% off last week and they are INCREDIBLE.  

(Usually $245, made from Bull shoulder, with BKTHANKYOU20, they are 76% off at $60)


Sizes are becoming scarce, but anything you buy at 24cents on the retail dollar will sell on eBay for more, in my experience.

 

To see the items that are hidden from most shoppers, do a 'generic' site search for Bills, or Pants.  

 

Avoid M2 pants (my preference), and focus on M3s, since they are a bit slimmer.  M4s are the true trimmer fitment, but they only have the overdyed twill in M4.  (at about $60 a pair!)

post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post

Can't help with sizing but check out the Barnett belts.  Not available on site during current sale until this morning.  
I bought 2 at 70% off last week and they are INCREDIBLE.  
(Usually $245, made from Bull shoulder, with BKTHANKYOU20, they are 76% off at $60)


Sizes are becoming scarce, but anything you buy at 24cents on the retail dollar will sell on eBay for more, in my experience.

To see the items that are hidden from most shoppers, do a 'generic' site search for Bills, or Pants.  

Avoid M2 pants (my preference), and focus on M3s, since they are a bit slimmer.  M4s are the true trimmer fitment, but they only have the overdyed twill in M4.  (at about $60 a pair!)
Thank you. Did you go with your actual waist size on the belt or 2 up? Looks like there are two colors available. I am thinking whiskey might be too light.

Which khakis do you have? I am deciding between Bullard, Chamois and/or Vintage.
post #26 of 73

I bought the belt in Whisky and Brown, LOVE both, in my pant size +2 sizes. 

 

And I own some of every pant Bills has in my size. Of the 3, I LOVE the Bullards if you have chill weather.  You would not wear Bullards or Vintage- Bullards are 10.2 oz, Vintage are 7.6, there are 4 pant weights in between.  Since the Bullard field pants are maybe the more rare item, as are the Cramertons, these are the 2 that I'd closet first.  But at current prices, you can buy those three pairs for less than 1 new pair anyway...PS I like but do not "love" the chamois.

post #27 of 73
Received one of the two pants I ordered, despite the shipping invoice staring two were included. What's that about?

Anyway fit is....quite roomy. Not sure if I will be able to actually pull off this look in public. Construction appears solid, though.
post #28 of 73
Did you receive shipping notification? I ordered a pair of shoes last week during the 70 + 20% sale and have not received any shipping info yet. I figured Rancourts for $90 were worth the risk.
post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Received one of the two pants I ordered, despite the shipping invoice staring two were included. What's that about?

Anyway fit is....quite roomy. Not sure if I will be able to actually pull off this look in public. Construction appears solid, though.

 

Sorry to hear about fitment issues, because returns are not Bill's current forte.  Did you buy the M2 or M3?  Bills seems quite committed to the 4 models definition of body types.

 

Let us know if there are any CC games, my packing slips have accurately noted what is and is not in the package. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

Did you receive shipping notification? I ordered a pair of shoes last week during the 70 + 20% sale and have not received any shipping info yet. I figured Rancourts for $90 were worth the risk.

 

When I have ordered online, I have received shipping notification.  The orders that were just called in have not received any notice before they arrived.  I fear shoes were not properly inventoried on the site, so hope you get them.  (Curious/Let us know?)

post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzrhwinnj View Post

Sorry to hear about fitment issues, because returns are not Bill's current forte.  Did you buy the M2 or M3?  Bills seems quite committed to the 4 models definition of body types.

Let us know if there are any CC games, my packing slips have accurately noted what is and is not in the package. 



When I have ordered online, I have received shipping notification.  The orders that were just called in have not received any notice before they arrived.  I fear shoes were not properly inventoried on the site, so hope you get them.  (Curious/Let us know?)

Reviewing my cc statement online, it appears I was only charged for one pair.

Regarding fit... I did order final sale for 70% off, with full awareness of the stated fullness of the M1 fit. So no one to blame but me. However, I just wasn't quite prepared for THIS level of room.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › End of Bills Khakis