Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Constructive Criticism Thread (15 Thumb Minimum)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Constructive Criticism Thread (15 Thumb Minimum) - Page 3

post #31 of 38

Glad to see new life injected into this thread.  I've found that square, which I initially thought to be the king of versatility, harder to wear than I'd have thought--it's bright and saturated despite the wool/silk blend. 

 

The disproportionally puny button-down collar isn't helping my case in that one, either. 


Edited by heldentenor - 6/12/16 at 3:29pm
post #32 of 38

I hope it's not unreasonable to bring this thread back from the dead, selfishly seeking my own betterment... I'll link to a couple of fits I've posted in the last couple weeks with my own criticisms, and I'd appreciate anyone else providing some.

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/44235#post_8684911

 

This one received 18 thumbs. 

 

My criticisms: Obviously a crappy iPhone pic, indoors with little natural light. The jacket sleeves are too long. Shirt could maybe have been a little darker blue, or maybe more saturated? Camel flannels were too obvious a choice with the tie, making it seem a bit too matchy or too coordinated. The tie has a cream base with an olive/brown and navy sheppards check, which to me kinda makes the whole outfit seem beige and blue. Perhaps the safety of a white linen tv fold was too simplistic, maybe a missed opportunity? I second guess myself often with pocket squares, which lead me to seek some feedback in GNAT. Thanks to those that made suggestions, I'll likely be placing an order soon.

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/43755#post_8664441

 

This one received 15 thumbs.

 

My Criticisms: Again, crappy iPhone pic, indoors, no natural light. Shirt sleeves are a bit long (actually the shirt is too big all over since losing weight). I don't like how I stuffed the square. I think that choosing the white square necessitated a tv fold in this fit. I thought about adding a new colour element with the square, but couldn't settle on one in my closet that didn't look out of place. I think the fit of the jacket itself is pretty good, and I really enjoy the texture of this suit seen in the up close shot. This tie is gorgeous. Knots well, great hand and drape.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/43635#post_8657320

 

This one received 11 thumbs.

 

My Criticisms: Decent lighting, but it looks like my pants are too long (they are a bit... also the pants were probably riding a bit low (this was the first suit I had altered during my weight loss). Shirt is also on the larger size, so you can see it bunching up a bit between the tie and lapels. Overall, nothing really daring or even that interesting about this photo. As I've typed this, I think maybe I've answered my own question.

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/43980#post_8674663

 

This one also received 11 thumbs.

 

My Criticisms: On the full length pic, something weird is happening with my pants; the hem caught on my laces and twisted the pant leg, causing some bunching behind my right thigh. Socks are too loud, shoes are shitty cheap units. I thought I did well with the tie/square pairing on the grey suit. I think this fit would have been improved by the use of a solid blue shirt, instead of the checks I chose, though I'm not totally sold on this?

 

Thanks!

post #33 of 38
#1: I liked this the first time around. Jacket sleeves are a bit long, but the combination is tasteful and the textures are nice. With nicer photography, I suspect more thumbs would have been given. Shirt definitely does not need to be darker.

#2: Weird angle, bad light. Hard to overcome

#3: Can't really see much

#4: Suit's cut is kinda meh, it's wrinkled, and the fit is indifferent (at least as pictured). Socks are too vibrant for the rest of the outfit.
post #34 of 38

Thread worth resurrecting. I'll think of a few when I have time.

 

@colHolm I already commented on #4. #1 is immaculate. 

 

@heldentenor There might be an alternative explanation: with the lightish gray odd trousers you had a second area of high contrast around your waistline; the high contrast tie and PS might have been fine if you hadn't repeated the same effect lower down.  

post #35 of 38

The correct response to all of these is "Bad photography".

post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

The correct response to all of these is "Bad photography".
Yes, if the question is how to get more thumbs. I posted in the hopes of getting feedback to improve... Whether it be fit, mixing formality, texture, colour, etc. But also internet points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

#1: I liked this the first time around. Jacket sleeves are a bit long, but the combination is tasteful and the textures are nice. With nicer photography, I suspect more thumbs would have been given. Shirt definitely does not need to be darker.

#2: Weird angle, bad light. Hard to overcome

#3: Can't really see much

#4: Suit's cut is kinda meh, it's wrinkled, and the fit is indifferent (at least as pictured). Socks are too vibrant for the rest of the outfit.

Thanks SB. I think the last one, the jacket fits ok (wrinkles not withstanding), but the pants are an issue. They catch on my shoes because they are too long, but I think they are actually a bit tight in the thigh (extra wrinkles), and maybe in the calf? They catch on certain pairs of socks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsay View Post

Thread worth resurrecting. I'll think of a few when I have time.

@colHolm I already commented on #4. #1 is immaculate. 

You did, and I appreciate the feedback.

I'm hoping for a tripod and remote for Christmas, which should help in the photography department. Daylight may be an issue... At this time of year it doesn't get light until almost 9, and is dark by 4:30. I'm not sure I'm ready to bring a camera rig to work to take pics haha.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsay View Post

 

 

@heldentenor There might be an alternative explanation: with the lightish gray odd trousers you had a second area of high contrast around your waistline; the high contrast tie and PS might have been fine if you hadn't repeated the same effect lower down.  

 

I think that's good analysis.  Some Oxford greys or mid-brown trousers would have kept the highlights in check.  

 

@colHolm all four of those fits seem solid to me.  Butch is right that light grey suits whose sheen is magnified by indoor lighting highlight every possible imperfection in fit and condition.  

 

The first three really are photography issues, if you ask me.  I don't love khaki with navy (think it goes better with light blue, green, or brown linen), but it's not a fail, and the other two are strong, classic combinations.  They're also easy to look past as a result, but dressing for thumbs here doesn't always equate to dressing to be well turned out in daily life.  

 

My biggest concrete suggestion is pic #2, where I think that tie is considerably better with a light blue shirt than it is with what appears to be a white one.  If that's the photography again, no worries.  

post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post

@colHolm
 all four of those fits seem solid to me.  Butch is right that light grey suits whose sheen is magnified by indoor lighting highlight every possible imperfection in fit and condition.  

The first three really are photography issues, if you ask me.  I don't love khaki with navy (think it goes better with light blue, green, or brown linen), but it's not a fail, and the other two are strong, classic combinations.  They're also easy to look past as a result, but dressing for thumbs here doesn't always equate to dressing to be well turned out in daily life.  

My biggest concrete suggestion is pic #2, where I think that tie is considerably better with a light blue shirt than it is with what appears to be a white one.  If that's the photography again, no worries.  

Thanks heldentenor. I think I agree with you re: khaki coloured pants with navy jacket. Maybe that's what was bugging me about the fit.

#2 was with a light grey pencil stripe shirt, maybe better seen here:

The tie is a warm grey irl, with kind of a beige cast to the base colour. For some reason it seemed off with a light blue shirt, but I'll revisit the next time I wear it.

Thanks for chiming in!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Constructive Criticism Thread (15 Thumb Minimum)