or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 23, 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 23, 2015 - Page 2

post #16 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtu View Post
 

Hello all :)

 

New member and first post.

I am an international student abroad and to buy a suit jacket is being a challenge, but I think that I found the right size. I am 190cm tall and around 95kg, and, I am really sorry about the pictures, so here they are:

 

    

 

My question is: is the jacket in the right size? Shoulders are ok?

 

This is a Calvin Klein suit jacket on a modern fit, size 46R, bought at The Bay, in Canada, I tried different sizes such:

42L: too short

44S: too short

44R: too short on the length of the jacket

44L: was ok, but when I cross my arms it feels that the jacket is a little bit small in the shoulders

46S: too small on length of the jacket

46R: was ok, but it seems a little bit baggy on the torso and when I cross my arms it feels ok.

48S: too big in the shoulders.

 

So, I decided to bought the 46R but I am not sure if it is the correct size or if the 44L was the correct one.

 

Thanks for all help and sorry for the pictures.

 

Edit: direct link for bigger pcitures:

http://s23.postimg.org/lk9rradpn/20151123_235237_HDR.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/8qbpxy0a3/20151123_235244_HDR.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/xxmly73e3/20151123_235335_HDR.jpg

 

 

Welcome to the forum, virtu.  Check out our tailors thread here http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions.  Shoulders look a bit wide to me.

post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post
 

 

 

Welcome to the forum, virtu.  Check out our tailors thread here http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions.  Shoulders look a bit wide to me.

 

Thanks for your reply and the indication about the tailors thread :)

 

Probably I am going to stay with this one, because the 44T is a little tight on torso and in the winter I may use a sweater under the jacket and this will help a little bit to make the shoulders fit better.

 

On other hand, on summer a 44T is a must for me :)

post #18 of 38
Hey everybody!

I recently purchased a suit in an 80/20 wool silk blend, and while overall the fit is fantastic, the sleeves are about a half inch too short, and I was wondering if the silk in the jacket could make tailoring any more difficult (e.g. leaving a crease in the sleeve or small visible holes where the faux button stitching was if the buttons needed to be moved). Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks!
post #19 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahj View Post

Hey everybody!

I recently purchased a suit in an 80/20 wool silk blend, and while overall the fit is fantastic, the sleeves are about a half inch too short, and I was wondering if the silk in the jacket could make tailoring any more difficult (e.g. leaving a crease in the sleeve or small visible holes where the faux button stitching was if the buttons needed to be moved). Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Hey Josiah, the silk won't be an issue.
post #20 of 38

So, I'm getting married next fall and have been on the hunt for a solid charcoal suit.  I found a Caruso on ebay being sold by NYMilan that looks good, but seems cheap enough where it's almost too good to be true.  The Buy Now is $395 for a solid Charcoal gray.  Seeing as this is the same maker as many of RL's top lines that just seems low for such a staple as a notch lapel solid charcoal suit...

 

While I've never worn a Caruso I've read good things, and from the knowledge that I've gathered it seems like it would be a good fit for my build.  I'm 6'2" and about 170-175lb, so most definitely a ectomorphic body type.  I typically wear a 40R and based on the (admittedly limited) suits I've worn I've gathered that I:

-don't care for overly slim lapels

-I don't care for heavily padded shoulders

-and tend to look better in a more trim fit.

 

Can anyone provide any advice on whether or not the suit is:

 

a) likely to be legit

b) potentially a good match for my build?

 

I live don't live particularly close to a city where I can try it on, but fortunately the seller has a return policy so I'm willing to gamble at least a little if there is a decent chance it will match my needs.

 

If it helps, I bought a Navy Luigi Bianchi Mantova line in a 40R that I wore to my brothers wedding and was pretty pleased with the fit.  I had to have some tailoring done to the collar (unfortunately...) but that was the only semi major tailoring required.  Sleeves were lengthened a bit, and the pants hemmed and let out just a little.  Other than that I feel like it fits me pretty well.  I know Luigi Bianchi isn't likely to be the same quality, but I figured it might help determine if the Caruso in question is likely to be a good match.  The measurements provided by the seller match up well, but obviously the numbers don't tell the whole story.

 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

 

Like to the suit below (please don't screw me over :facepalm:)

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221936584520?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post #21 of 38

I have an event tomorrow and I only have this one Midnight Blue suit with me here, left the rest at home. Tomorrow's event is just a Dean's list award, nothing spectacular, but we're asked to wear suits so might as well wear the only one I have - as it's not big enough event to order a new suit for.

 

What shirt and tie should I wear along with it if I wish to look great and noticeable but at the same time not over-the-top center-of-attention kinda thing? I can buy any tie, but shirts are limited to the ones I have right now - White (self-striped), Lilac (as in the photo below), Maroon, Lavender, White-and-Brown checked, Shiny Deep blue, off-white with thin green stripes.

 

Here's me in the suit - a combination I wore a couple of years ago that I am not very proud of. Any way I can improve on this disaster?

 

Thanks.

post #22 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutch View Post
 

So, I'm getting married next fall and have been on the hunt for a solid charcoal suit.  I found a Caruso on ebay being sold by NYMilan that looks good, but seems cheap enough where it's almost too good to be true.  The Buy Now is $395 for a solid Charcoal gray.  Seeing as this is the same maker as many of RL's top lines that just seems low for such a staple as a notch lapel solid charcoal suit...

 

While I've never worn a Caruso I've read good things, and from the knowledge that I've gathered it seems like it would be a good fit for my build.  I'm 6'2" and about 170-175lb, so most definitely a ectomorphic body type.  I typically wear a 40R and based on the (admittedly limited) suits I've worn I've gathered that I:

-don't care for overly slim lapels

-I don't care for heavily padded shoulders

-and tend to look better in a more trim fit.

 

Can anyone provide any advice on whether or not the suit is:

 

a) likely to be legit

b) potentially a good match for my build?

 

I live don't live particularly close to a city where I can try it on, but fortunately the seller has a return policy so I'm willing to gamble at least a little if there is a decent chance it will match my needs.

 

If it helps, I bought a Navy Luigi Bianchi Mantova line in a 40R that I wore to my brothers wedding and was pretty pleased with the fit.  I had to have some tailoring done to the collar (unfortunately...) but that was the only semi major tailoring required.  Sleeves were lengthened a bit, and the pants hemmed and let out just a little.  Other than that I feel like it fits me pretty well.  I know Luigi Bianchi isn't likely to be the same quality, but I figured it might help determine if the Caruso in question is likely to be a good match.  The measurements provided by the seller match up well, but obviously the numbers don't tell the whole story.

 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

 

Like to the suit below (please don't screw me over :facepalm:)

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221936584520?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

 

Welcome to the forum, @chutch.  I would say based on that seller feedback, I would buy with confidence that it is legit.  That's a good looking suit and if the measurements look right, it's a good buy.

post #23 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremecross View Post
 

I have an event tomorrow and I only have this one Midnight Blue suit with me here, left the rest at home. Tomorrow's event is just a Dean's list award, nothing spectacular, but we're asked to wear suits so might as well wear the only one I have - as it's not big enough event to order a new suit for.

 

What shirt and tie should I wear along with it if I wish to look great and noticeable but at the same time not over-the-top center-of-attention kinda thing? I can buy any tie, but shirts are limited to the ones I have right now - White (self-striped), Lilac (as in the photo below), Maroon, Lavender, White-and-Brown checked, Shiny Deep blue, off-white with thin green stripes.

 

Here's me in the suit - a combination I wore a couple of years ago that I am not very proud of. Any way I can improve on this disaster?

 

Thanks.

 

 

Welcome to the forum, extreme.  If you want to know how to improve that fit, never tie that knot again.  Like never.  Ever.  Thank you.

 

Go with your white shirt and maybe go grab a burgundy pindot tie from Brooks Brothers if you have one nearby.  If you don't have one nearby, just find a simple tie...i.e., solid (no sheen, repp stripe, etc.  No need to get flashy.  Most of the time, the people that are "noticeable" are that way for all the wrong reasons.  

post #24 of 38

First, some background: I'm 5'9, 37, 170lbs with athletic build and I tend to wear slim fit suits/blazers with a modern, flashier look. 

 

I have some of the entry-level, lower-priced suits and blazers (Topman, H&M, Zara, Uniqlo) and I'm starting to upgrade to higher-quality, higher-priced suits. 

 

Over the past year I've added J. Lindberg, Banana Republic and finally this Burgundy Flannel Suit on sale for $399 at Indochino

 

I've read other threads and articles and I'm trying to get a better sense of what the best options are in the $400-$800 price range. When I say "best" options, I'm talking about higher-quality suits (better construction and fabric), like half-canvassed instead of the fused stuff you get at places like H&M. 

 

Based on my research, these are some of the best suits in the $400-$800 price range:

 

- Benjamin

- Brooks Brothers (although I find their brand too conservative and stuffy)

- Charles Tyrwhitt

- J. Crew (especially the Ludlow)

- Suit Supply

- Z Zegna

 

Hugo Boss and Theory are also in this price range, but I know from reading the forums that the quality isn't great. 

 

Tyrwhitt and the J. Crew Ludlow fit me well, while Zegna would need to be taken in at the sides. I've also found good deals on Theory, Versace and Hugo Boss at Saks Off 5th (Hugo Boss 2-for-1 for around $600!!). 

 

I went to a Suit Supply store this week to try on a few suit jackets and suits and had an overall excellent experience: great customer service, quality and selection. 

 

The salesperson advised me to stay away from their lowest-priced suits ($400) - apparently they're not quite fused and not quite half canvas. The half canvassed suits are $500-$850. The price jumps up to $1,000 for full canvas, but that's above my budget. The Suit Supply suits are definitely the best fitting suits I've ever worn. 38S fit me perfectly - I would only need to let the sleeves out a little (and the pants fit me perfectly, to my surprise). 

 

I'm going to add that I'm NOT looking for the kinds of suits that can be worn to the office 5 days a week. My work environment is business casual, so I only wear blazers or suits once or twice a week on dates or when I go out for drinks, so my clothes lasts a long time. 

 

I have a navy blue H&M blazer I've worn a few dozen times over the last 3 or 4 years that still looks and fits great without any major signs of wear. 

 

So here's my question: What brand(s) would you buy if you were me? I'm leaning towards Suit Supply at the moment. 

 

Also, I've read this article - How to Buy a $2,000 Suit for $500 where the author suggests trying to score brands like Corneliani or Armani Collezioni suits off of eBay and I wonder if this is a good option in my case. 

post #25 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDemori View Post
 

First, some background: I'm 5'9, 37, 170lbs with athletic build and I tend to wear slim fit suits/blazers with a modern, flashier look. 

 

I have some of the entry-level, lower-priced suits and blazers (Topman, H&M, Zara, Uniqlo) and I'm starting to upgrade to higher-quality, higher-priced suits. 

 

Over the past year I've added J. Lindberg, Banana Republic and finally this Burgundy Flannel Suit on sale for $399 at Indochino

 

I've read other threads and articles and I'm trying to get a better sense of what the best options are in the $400-$800 price range. When I say "best" options, I'm talking about higher-quality suits (better construction and fabric), like half-canvassed instead of the fused stuff you get at places like H&M. 

 

Based on my research, these are some of the best suits in the $400-$800 price range:

 

- Benjamin

- Brooks Brothers (although I find their brand too conservative and stuffy)

- Charles Tyrwhitt

- J. Crew (especially the Ludlow)

- Suit Supply

- Z Zegna

 

Hugo Boss and Theory are also in this price range, but I know from reading the forums that the quality isn't great. 

 

Tyrwhitt and the J. Crew Ludlow fit me well, while Zegna would need to be taken in at the sides. I've also found good deals on Theory, Versace and Hugo Boss at Saks Off 5th (Hugo Boss 2-for-1 for around $600!!). 

 

I went to a Suit Supply store this week to try on a few suit jackets and suits and had an overall excellent experience: great customer service, quality and selection. 

 

The salesperson advised me to stay away from their lowest-priced suits ($400) - apparently they're not quite fused and not quite half canvas. The half canvassed suits are $500-$850. The price jumps up to $1,000 for full canvas, but that's above my budget. The Suit Supply suits are definitely the best fitting suits I've ever worn. 38S fit me perfectly - I would only need to let the sleeves out a little (and the pants fit me perfectly, to my surprise). 

 

I'm going to add that I'm NOT looking for the kinds of suits that can be worn to the office 5 days a week. My work environment is business casual, so I only wear blazers or suits once or twice a week on dates or when I go out for drinks, so my clothes lasts a long time. 

 

I have a navy blue H&M blazer I've worn a few dozen times over the last 3 or 4 years that still looks and fits great without any major signs of wear. 

 

So here's my question: What brand(s) would you buy if you were me? I'm leaning towards Suit Supply at the moment. 

 

Also, I've read this article - How to Buy a $2,000 Suit for $500 where the author suggests trying to score brands like Corneliani or Armani Collezioni suits off of eBay and I wonder if this is a good option in my case. 

 

Welcome to the forum, @DennisDemori.  Suit Supply is a good option that has something for everyone.  I also like what Benjamin offers and having tried on their suits, can definitely recommend them for the price.  In the top end of your price range you can also explore Kent Wang MTM http://www.kentwang.com. Like you mentioned, you can always scour eBay.  If you do that, you'll be interested in this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/the-styleforum-working-hierarchical-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql

post #26 of 38

Hello,

 

I will get married soon.

 

In church I wish to wear something formal. I was thinking morning dress with black tailcoat, white waistcoat and white bow tie. Would that be "wrong"? I think there are no rules about the colors of waistcoat and tie. And I think bow tie is acceptable also?

 

By the way, at the reception I will wear some lighter suit, or something colorful.

post #27 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDad View Post

Hello,

I will get married soon.

In church I wish to wear something formal. I was thinking morning dress with black tailcoat, white waistcoat and white bow tie. Would that be "wrong"? I think there are no rules about the colors of waistcoat and tie. And I think bow tie is acceptable also?

By the way, at the reception I will wear some lighter suit, or something colorful.

Welcome to the forum, ND. You check out this thread for wedding advice http://www.styleforum.net/t/329568/official-wedding-attire-question-answer-picture-thread and this one for formal wear http://www.styleforum.net/t/275650/the-state-of-black-tie-your-observations. Best of luck and congrats.
post #28 of 38

Thanks @Murlsquirl

 

Quick question: Are Benjamin suits only sold online or are there any brick and mortar stores where I can try them on first?

post #29 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDemori View Post

Thanks @Murlsquirl


Quick question: Are Benjamin suits only sold online or are there any brick and mortar stores where I can try them on first?

They don't have a shop, but I'm pretty sure they are based out of NJ. You could always try contacting them to ask about stopping by.
post #30 of 38

2 quick questions on Brioni suits. Is there a difference between a Brioni suit and a Brioni made for (Neiman Marcus, Harry Rosen, whomever)

 

Saw few that say Tailored in Italy by Brioni for.... but not sure if they are as good as straight Brioni ones.

 

Also, what is a fair price for a used Brioni suit. I know it depends on variety of things. Looked on ebay at sold listings and noticed that prices are from $100-$600 for used suit. Is that a fair range?

 

Thanks for the help

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF NOV 23, 2015