or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Simpsons... what happened?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Simpsons... what happened? - Page 5

post #61 of 81
More often than not, people always favor the early years of shows, musicians, etc...regardless of the writing. There's something appealing and exciting about enjoying something new. You latch on to it, and that becomes the "good ole days" of that musician or show. The Simpsons would still be better during its early years regardless of how good or bad the writing is today.
post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I agree with the critics. The show was one of the best ever--maybe the best ever--from seasons 2-7, peaked around 4, IMO--and went downhill after that. I stopped watching after season 10 and don't miss it at all.

The movie had some good laughs, though.

Hmm.. The show really has its odds stacked against it when it's slammed by people that aren't even watching it!

I like a lot of the new episodes and even think some of them could be regarded as "classics". There were also definitely a lot of duds in the early years too (season 1 is completely unwatchable IMHO).
post #63 of 81
Dr. Seuss loses his mind and writes adult topics in adult language for small children. The same thinking put South Park in prime time.
post #64 of 81
Wow... just saw an episode for the first time in AGES (the one from just before the Vancouver Olympics started.) It was really, truly awful. I knew the show had gone downhill, but this wasn't even remotely funny in any way.
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
Wow... just saw an episode for the first time in AGES (the one from just before the Vancouver Olympics started.)

It was really, truly awful. I knew the show had gone downhill, but this wasn't even remotely funny in any way.


It's painful to watch.
post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post
More often than not, people always favor the early years of shows, musicians, etc...regardless of the writing. There's something appealing and exciting about enjoying something new. You latch on to it, and that becomes the "good ole days" of that musician or show. The Simpsons would still be better during its early years regardless of how good or bad the writing is today.

Not true at all. People truly want to still like The Simpsons, but it's just awful.
post #67 of 81
I dont know if it happened when the film came out or when troy mcclure died ..
post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldarchon View Post
I dont know if it happened when the film came out or when troy mcclure died ..

I liked the movie, actually, so I'm not just nostalgic for the past. I just think the current stuff (especially the one I saw earlier today) was just garbage, nostalgia or not.
post #69 of 81
These shows need to know when to call it quits. Ive always thought American sit coms go on for way too long. The characters become stagnent and uninteresting and you can only tell the same jokes so many times.

The British understand this, shows like Faulty Towers, The office, Extras etc only run for a few seasons yet you can watch the same episodes again and again (i couldnt count the number of times ive seen Faulty Towers).

It seems like the longevity is driven more by commercial success than any creative desire to contuinue. Because the vast majority of television comedy is terrible it allows a great show to fall quite a long way before its superseded by something better.
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post
things fall apart
the center cannot hold

"Grasping the child firmly in his talons, Socrates here will fly him to safety."
post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
I liked the movie, actually, so I'm not just nostalgic for the past. I just think the current stuff (especially the one I saw earlier today) was just garbage, nostalgia or not.

I've enjoyed the recent stuff, and I continue to watch. It's not as good as the earlier stuff, but it's usually amusing enough to be worth ~20 minutes of my time. Last night's episode was bad. It was the first time I can recall thinking "wow, I'm really not enjoying this" while watching an episode.
post #72 of 81
I actually saw last night's episode- the one where Lisa discovers the Simpson ancestors worked to free slaves- and it was pretty good. Homer's sotto voce when he says "...some of them were alcoholics" put me and my bother-in-law into hysterics.

The most recent episode I saw before that was the one where they went to Ireland, which was just meh. It wasn't offensively unfunny or anything, it just failed to be ha-ha funny at any point.
post #73 of 81
^The appearance of the Hulk and the Thing put me on the floor.
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
The British understand this, shows like Faulty Towers, The office, Extras etc only run for a few seasons yet you can watch the same episodes again and again (i couldnt count the number of times ive seen Faulty Towers).

+1

Compare Robin's Nest with Three's Company, or Yes, [Prime] Minister with...well, American TV can't make a Yes Minister, can it?

I always liked The Greatest American Hero because it knew when to get out.
post #75 of 81
Newest episode has a quite well done montage of kisses from Gone with the Wind to Aliens. I enjoyed it so much I contemplated my sexual preference. Jury's still out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Simpsons... what happened?