or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manila Tailor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manila Tailor - Page 35

post #511 of 585

I'll probably have my next purchase sent directly to manila. By the way, MSB allows items from other countries sent to them in the US. I asked them before and they told me why not? :)

post #512 of 585
That's great. There would still be duties going into the US though. Hope they're not as usurious as ours.
post #513 of 585

Yeah for AE theres a $32 tax if I'm having it shipped to the freight forwarder's US Address.

post #514 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by megara View Post
 

Cranktrooper, MSB already includes custom clearance in their shipping fee. I've been wanting to send packages direct to manila but I'm really scared that I might be charged an exorbitant rate. . 

 

By the way, can I ask Cornell to make a half-canvassed jacket? They told me they only do fused but I've heard from this thread that they do make canvassed suits/jackets.  

 

Any help/thoughts will be deeply appreciated :thumbs-up: 

 

Always use a freight forwarder preferably those that can deliver to your home/office. You will not have the risk of items getting lost in-transit or being charged a huge sum by customs when it arrives.

 

A half-canvassed jacket only has canvassing in the lapels. Everything else is fused. No real advantage in that unless you fancy a nice lapel roll. Either you go fused or full canvass all the way.

post #515 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranktrooper View Post
 

Yeah for AE theres a $32 tax if I'm having it shipped to the freight forwarder's US Address.

 

There's always a tax if you're shipping to either CA or NY which is where almost if not all freight forwarders are located. The way to get around it is to buy from smaller retailers because they don't charge tax. Big businesses will always pay the proper taxes. I recently bought a pair of shoes from Epaulet in New York and had it shipped to MSB in CA. No tax!

post #516 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by megara View Post
 

I'll probably have my next purchase sent directly to manila. By the way, MSB allows items from other countries sent to them in the US. I asked them before and they told me why not? :)

 

Just don't expect them to go to pick them up from U.S. customs if ever it gets held because it wasn't DDP (Deliveries and Duties Paid). My friend bought some stuff from the UK and had it shipped to a freight forwarder in the U.S. The freight forwarder never bothered to pick up the item from customs because it's not part of their services. A rule of thumb when using U.S. freight forwarders: only buy from retailers located on the continental U.S.

post #517 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinyapjoco View Post
 

 

Just don't expect them to go to pick them up from U.S. customs if ever it gets held because it wasn't DDP (Deliveries and Duties Paid). My friend bought some stuff from the UK and had it shipped to a freight forwarder in the U.S. The freight forwarder never bothered to pick up the item from customs because it's not part of their services. A rule of thumb when using U.S. freight forwarders: only buy from retailers located on the continental U.S.

Thanks for this. . I always have items sent from other countries to the US. .Since you mentioned your friend's case, I'll be much careful next time.

 

Also, thank you for your opinion on my recent post (half-canvassed). With that said, does Cornell make canvassed suits? Anyway, thanks Kevin.

post #518 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by megara View Post
 

Thanks for this. . I always have items sent from other countries to the US. .Since you mentioned your friend's case, I'll be much careful next time.

 

Also, thank you for your opinion on my recent post (half-canvassed). With that said, does Cornell make canvassed suits? Anyway, thanks Kevin.

 

Have you tried shipping shoes to the US from UK?

 

Go to Tiño or Secret Armoury if you want a full canvass suit. But prepare to pay upwards of 23k per suit. And the better the cloth the higher the price.

post #519 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinyapjoco View Post
 

 

Have you tried shipping shoes to the US from UK?

 

Go to Tiño or Secret Armoury if you want a full canvass suit. But prepare to pay upwards of 23k per suit. And the better the cloth the higher the price.

Hi Kevin

 

Im getting my suit tailored as well for a wedding.

 


Between Tino and Secret Armoury and Cornells which would you suggest?

 

1) if budget is not an issue

2) as for fabric selection, i visited tino and the range seems to be too high eitehr 25k+ or 60K

 

the 25k is wool blend with mohair..is this okay? or should i stick with 100% wool?

post #520 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumerdud View Post
 

Hi Kevin

 

Im getting my suit tailored as well for a wedding.

 


Between Tino and Secret Armoury and Cornells which would you suggest?

 

1) if budget is not an issue

2) as for fabric selection, i visited tino and the range seems to be too high eitehr 25k+ or 60K

 

the 25k is wool blend with mohair..is this okay? or should i stick with 100% wool?

 

25k as a starting point is normal for both Tino and Secret Armoury. No problem with mohair. It wears cool but can be slightly shiny. If budget is an issue go to Cornell's.


Edited by kevinyapjoco - 12/3/13 at 7:28pm
post #521 of 585

Just got my first shirt from Cornell's. Made me want to trash all the shirts made by the Kamuning tailor. There's a really big difference in terms of the craftmanship and the way he handled all my requests.

post #522 of 585
I never heard that Cornell could do canvasing, half or full. I have a fused jacket he made in 2005, I think, and it's in good shape. No bubbling. I wouldn't worry about that too much. The main things I'd be concerned include a nice snug collar, high armholes, and the stylistic details you're interested in.

I agree about his shirts. Great fit and really nice, hand-sewn buttonholes. Not a fan of the default sewn-in collar stays, though. The fusing has bubbled on just one shirt I've ever gotten from him (out of maybe 10). That was a poly-cotton blend I got in 2005.
post #523 of 585

Hi guys, just a couple of questions:

 

1. Where can I buy pocket squares in Manila?

2. Would you know if the tailor at Tinio is still the one who was trained in Italy?

3.  Wedding invite says "Coat and Tie", wedding is (probably) outdoors 4pm and reception follows.  Would a black suit be appropriate?  My alternative is a navy jacket with probably grey pants.  What do you think?  All the info in SF are for US or UK weddings, which are probably dressier than they are here.  And in connection to Q. 1, would pocket squares be strange in the Philippine wedding scene for guests?

post #524 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknandrew View Post
 

Hi guys, just a couple of questions:

 

1. Where can I buy pocket squares in Manila?

2. Would you know if the tailor at Tinio is still the one who was trained in Italy?

3.  Wedding invite says "Coat and Tie", wedding is (probably) outdoors 4pm and reception follows.  Would a black suit be appropriate?  My alternative is a navy jacket with probably grey pants.  What do you think?  All the info in SF are for US or UK weddings, which are probably dressier than they are here.  And in connection to Q. 1, would pocket squares be strange in the Philippine wedding scene for guests?

 

1. They have some at Rustan's but the selection is very limited. I usually buy them abroad.

3. Would the reception also be outdoors (if so, a lighter colored suit might be more appropriate if you have one)? A black suit would be appropriate for a Coat and Tie wedding. A blazer/sport coat and slacks combo may not be as appropriate. However, if you think most people will not be following the dress code, then go ahead and wear your blazer/SC.

 

And no, wearing a PS is not strange in the Philippines (especially for parties).

post #525 of 585

Hi Guys,

 

I wish I read this forum before coming to King Philip to tailor a suit. I just collected my suit today and it was a horrible, both the suit and the experience. The first fitting was delayed 4 days and I need to fly somewhere on that day so cut story shot, can't make it for my friend's wedding day.

 

The suit itself was totally off. What was supposed to be slim fit is become a baggy bell shaped suit. I insisted them to do another alternation, but they won't budge. In the end I gave up realising that with their skills, nothing much they can do.

 

So guys, if you need a suit done, please find another tailor, or think twice before approaching King Philip tailor in Glorietta.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manila Tailor