or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manila Tailor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manila Tailor - Page 31

post #451 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

5k per yard seems a lot for VBC. The only place I ever saw good woolen cloth was at the big duty free shop at Clark. They had precut packages of suit lengths in navy and gray. But this was back in 97/98.

 

 

If I remember correctly VBC suits at Tino starts at around 32k. Their CMT is 12k so if my suit requires 4 yards (I'm a 5'9", medium built) then 5k per yard for VBC should be accurate.

post #452 of 588
Thanks. That makes sense. I thought you meant they'd sell you fabric for that amount. Most tailors charge more for fabric that the supplier charges directly. Some much more and some just a bit more. I've never priced VBC fabric directly, but I do know that many British fabrics cost under $100 per yard and many tailors price suits made of VBC much lower than suits made of British fabric. For example, Chan suits in VBC start at around $1250 and ones of Minnis fresco around $1550. Minnis fresco retails at about $100/yard.

But there are other variables involved here. Hong Kong has low or no duties on fabric, while the Philippines may have high duties. Or the shipping costs may be higher, etc.
post #453 of 588

newbie here. recently turned 25, cut my long hair off and decided to donate most of my old clothes to charity. in doing that i realized most of my clothes were handed down. im fully independent from my family (having run away at age 16 because of punk rock) and i slowly inched myself from starving and sleeping on sidewalks to establishing a name for myself as a recording engineer both here and abroad. my recording studio has recently become a corporation and i decided that for me to be able to commit to this, i should start with how i present myself. 

 

i am down to a few ok fitting T shirts, 1 ok fitting polo shirt, and 3 hand me down button down shirts that just look horrible on me (2 are too large and one has yellowed with age and was a hand me down). 1 unaltered pair of jeans (wrangler), a pair of converse chuck taylors, a pair of cheap oxford looking shoes (deceptively ok looking).

 

this is the last photo taken of me with long hair:

 

 

 

 

this was just taken after i had my  haircut:

 

 

and this was what i wore today for a meeting with recording clients:

 

here are a few questions:

 

1. given a budget of 10-15k pesos (my cash on hand), what should i invest in first?

 

2. wheres a good place to get it given my budget?

 

3. anyone near my area who could help me with this commitment? (trinoma/sm north)

 

cheers,

Raph

Into Entropy Recordings

post #454 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post

Thanks. That makes sense. I thought you meant they'd sell you fabric for that amount. Most tailors charge more for fabric that the supplier charges directly. Some much more and some just a bit more. I've never priced VBC fabric directly, but I do know that many British fabrics cost under $100 per yard and many tailors price suits made of VBC much lower than suits made of British fabric. For example, Chan suits in VBC start at around $1250 and ones of Minnis fresco around $1550. Minnis fresco retails at about $100/yard.

But there are other variables involved here. Hong Kong has low or no duties on fabric, while the Philippines may have high duties. Or the shipping costs may be higher, etc.

I agree. And I'm sure tailors average out the cost at the end because Asians are usually shorter.
post #455 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoEntropy View Post

newbie here. recently turned 25, cut my long hair off and decided to donate most of my old clothes to charity. in doing that i realized most of my clothes were handed down. im fully independent from my family (having run away at age 16 because of punk rock) and i slowly inched myself from starving and sleeping on sidewalks to establishing a name for myself as a recording engineer both here and abroad. my recording studio has recently become a corporation and i decided that for me to be able to commit to this, i should start with how i present myself. 

i am down to a few ok fitting T shirts, 1 ok fitting polo shirt, and 3 hand me down button down shirts that just look horrible on me (2 are too large and one has yellowed with age and was a hand me down). 1 unaltered pair of jeans (wrangler), a pair of converse chuck taylors, a pair of cheap oxford looking shoes (deceptively ok looking).

this is the last photo taken of me with long hair:






this was just taken after i had my  haircut:




and this was what i wore today for a meeting with recording clients:



here are a few questions:

1. given a budget of 10-15k pesos (my cash on hand), what should i invest in first?

2. wheres a good place to get it given my budget?

3. anyone near my area who could help me with this commitment? (trinoma/sm north)

cheers,
Raph
Into Entropy Recordings

You look like you're on the right track. I would start to invest in more long sleeve shirts (10k) that fit well. If you can't find one off the rack that fits you well you can visit a tailor. For the 5k I would spend on a new pair of shoes. Later on you can buy a new pair of chinos.
post #456 of 588

thanks. what kind of shoes specifically? i assume you mean more casual brown shoes? and yes most OTR shirts ive tried do not look good on me. hoping to get some tailor recommendations around the qc area if possible. just read this entire thread. looks like Cornell's is hit or miss with some people. 

post #457 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoEntropy View Post

1. given a budget of 10-15k pesos (my cash on hand), what should i invest in first?

Shoes, jeans, shirts.
Quote:
2. wheres a good place to get it given my budget?
Uniqlo SM North Edsa
post #458 of 588
Are tailors in Manila really that bad ? I was thinking of making something on my next trip, I've had a suit made at some cheap tailor in Shanghai and that turned out okay-ish considering the price point. Is Manila a total disaster or just not perfectionist quality =)
post #459 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by czs View Post

Are tailors in Manila really that bad ? I was thinking of making something on my next trip, I've had a suit made at some cheap tailor in Shanghai and that turned out okay-ish considering the price point. Is Manila a total disaster or just not perfectionist quality =)

 

Yes. Generally the canvass they use on top of the fusible is thick and heavy. This makes the suit stiff and uncomfortable.

post #460 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoEntropy View Post
 

thanks. what kind of shoes specifically? i assume you mean more casual brown shoes? and yes most OTR shirts ive tried do not look good on me. hoping to get some tailor recommendations around the qc area if possible. just read this entire thread. looks like Cornell's is hit or miss with some people. 

 

Brown lace-ups. First and second shirt by Cornell's will be a miss. By your third you should be able to more or less nail the fit.

post #461 of 588

Hi Guys

I'm new here. Though I've been lurking in this thread since September last year while looking for a tailor to contract for my wedding suit on January 2013.

The tailor who made my suit was Rod Francisco (http://rodfrancisco.com/) from kamuning. The suit looks "great" for its price.

My only comments are:

The shoulder pads are just a bit wide IMHO.

The Shirt's fused collars and cuffs have "bubbles"

Shirt's button holes are not neatly sewn

 

I have a few questions for you guys.

 

Would you guys consider Cornell to be the "best" tailor? I'm from Parañaque and Kamuning is too far.

Does he fuse collars and cuffs? If Yes how's the quality?

Can a suit's shoulder width still be altered? I read somewhere that it's not. I just want to have your opinion.

 

Thanks!

post #462 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranktrooper View Post

Hi Guys
I'm new here. Though I've been lurking in this thread since September last year while looking for a tailor to contract for my wedding suit on January 2013.
The tailor who made my suit was Rod Francisco (http://rodfrancisco.com/) from kamuning. The suit looks "great" for its price.
My only comments are:
The shoulder pads are just a bit wide IMHO.
The Shirt's fused collars and cuffs have "bubbles"
Shirt's button holes are not neatly sewn

I have a few questions for you guys.

Would you guys consider Cornell to be the "best" tailor? I'm from Parañaque and Kamuning is too far.
Does he fuse collars and cuffs? If Yes how's the quality?
Can a suit's shoulder width still be altered? I read somewhere that it's not. I just want to have your opinion.

Thanks!

Bubbles in the collars and cuffs are unacceptable. The machine they used for the buttonholes might not be properly maintained hence the bad looking buttonholes.

Cornell's is decent for the price and you won't have bubbles in the collars and cuffs. The fusing he uses is also soft. In my experience stiff fusing is the one that always has bubbles.

For shoulders you're better off having a new suit made as altering shoulders is a major operation and will most likely not be accommodated. Suit shoulders should only be a touch off the edge of your shoulders and it is recommended that the tailor take a measurement for the armhole else they usually go with a "standard" measurement comparable to off the rack suits.
post #463 of 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoEntropy View Post

thanks. what kind of shoes specifically? i assume you mean more casual brown shoes? and yes most OTR shirts ive tried do not look good on me. hoping to get some tailor recommendations around the qc area if possible. just read this entire thread. looks like Cornell's is hit or miss with some people. 
Earlier in the thread people discussed the tailor across Katipunan from Ateneo, Toppers, I think. I wanted to try them but wasn't able to the last time I was in town. They seem like they'd be OK for pants and shirts. But Cornell's does make very good shirts and pants. He's really good at fitting those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinyapjoco View Post

...Cornell's is decent for the price and you won't have bubbles in the collars and cuffs. The fusing he uses is also soft. In my experience stiff fusing is the one that always has bubbles...
I've had 10-12 shirts made by Cornell, from 2005-2010, and just one has bubbled. All of them fit well. Love the hand-sewn buttonholes. Does he still sew in collar stays by default? Was not a big fan of that.
post #464 of 588

Thanks Kevin!

I'll try Cornell's for my oxford fabrics. I might have to bring the shirt I got from Kamuning to help him get the right fit. The fit's actually great I just didn't like the fusing and button holes.

post #465 of 588

I'm looking to get a tailored suit made. I'm a newbie in suits and men's style in general.

 

Can someone point me to a good suit tailor in the Metro? As mentioned, I'm a newbie and I would be willing to pay extra to get a tailor that can make the right decisions on style for me. I live in Makati.

 

(Sorry if this has been asked before in this very long thread.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manila Tailor