or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manila Tailor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manila Tailor - Page 27

post #391 of 585

I have organized another meetup of menswear enthusiasts on August 21 6pm at 26th St. Bistro by The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. It's free and open to everyone. Click here for details.

post #392 of 585
Photos of my new trousers from Cornelio. It just appears to be short in the first picture as I might have pulled up the waist too much.


Jacket: Caruso Linen
Shirt: CT
Shoes: Carmina

post #393 of 585

^^ Thanks for the pics, Aon. I think I'll give Cornel's a try next time I'm in Manila. Probably have some pants made first too.

 

BTW, did you have to supply the fabric or does he keep a fair amount at his shop? And did you actually work with Cornelio?
 

post #394 of 585
I had to supply the fabric since he does not have any cotton or linen fabrics in his shop. All my instructions and discussions are with Cornelio. I even had to give him a 2 pages of instructions and photos to ensure that all the details will be put in place. But I think some of these instructions were not relayed properly or completely to the trouser maker so my first batch of trousers had to undergo several revisions. I went to his shop for around 3 to 4 times a week to monitor the progress. In the end, the final output was good, not Ambrosi Napoli level of course, but good. You just have to be patient with him. Now, they just have to copy all the details for my next 8 trousers.

As for jackets and suits, his work is decent enough compared to other local tailors. But if you bring him a high end jacket, let's say RLPL or Partenopea, and you ask him to copy it, do not expect that he will be able to achieve the same cut and all the details. I have had several jackets/suits made by him but I rarely wear them anymore. I've switched to high end RTW, with alterations done by Cornelio.
post #395 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by aon View Post

I had to supply the fabric since he does not have any cotton or linen fabrics in his shop. All my instructions and discussions are with Cornelio. I even had to give him a 2 pages of instructions and photos to ensure that all the details will be put in place. But I think some of these instructions were not relayed properly or completely to the trouser maker so my first batch of trousers had to undergo several revisions. I went to his shop for around 3 to 4 times a week to monitor the progress. In the end, the final output was good, not Ambrosi Napoli level of course, but good. You just have to be patient with him. Now, they just have to copy all the details for my next 8 trousers.

As for jackets and suits, his work is decent enough compared to other local tailors. But if you bring him a high end jacket, let's say RLPL or Partenopea, and you ask him to copy it, do not expect that he will be able to achieve the same cut and all the details. I have had several jackets/suits made by him but I rarely wear them anymore. I've switched to high end RTW, with alterations done by Cornelio.

 

I'm amazed you had the time and patience to work with Cornelio. I went through that phase as well and have almost given up on tailors here. Now I am buying suits and sport coats off-the-rack. Glad to see a fellow Carmina fan. Hope you can join our meetup on August 21.

post #396 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinyapjoco View Post

I'm amazed you had the time and patience to work with Cornelio. I went through that phase as well and have almost given up on tailors here. Now I am buying suits and sport coats off-the-rack. Glad to see a fellow Carmina fan. Hope you can join our meetup on August 21.

I still have patience for trousers. But for jackets and suits I have also given up on local tailors. It's also a good thing that Cornelio's shop is in Makati. I can drop by his shop before going to my office.

For shoes, after trying several brands, I have decided that my future purchases will be from Carmina and Vass. Hard to beat the quality they offer for the pricepoint.

Thanks for the invite Kevin. It's a holiday and I have Daddy duties but I'll see if I can drop by. If ever I do, I hope you won't mind me showing up in shorts and nike flyknits with a baby stroller.
post #397 of 585
BTW, Cornelio's still a better option for alternations than those alteration shops in the malls. I have trusted him with my RLPL, Borrelli, Isaia, Partenopea, etc. I'm not sure though if he will accept an alteration job from a new customer.
post #398 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by aon View Post


I still have patience for trousers. But for jackets and suits I have also given up on local tailors. It's also a good thing that Cornelio's shop is in Makati. I can drop by his shop before going to my office.

For shoes, after trying several brands, I have decided that my future purchases will be from Carmina and Vass. Hard to beat the quality they offer for the pricepoint.

Thanks for the invite Kevin. It's a holiday and I have Daddy duties but I'll see if I can drop by. If ever I do, I hope you won't mind me showing up in shorts and nike flyknits with a baby stroller.

 

 

Quote:
BTW, Cornelio's still a better option for alternations than those alteration shops in the malls. I have trusted him with my RLPL, Borrelli, Isaia, Partenopea, etc. I'm not sure though if he will accept an alteration job from a new customer.

 

+1 on the value of Carmina. But I'm looking to explore English shoes next. I just haven't found the right one that appeals to my Italian aesthetic. Alfred Sargent maybe.

 

I don't mind if you show up in shorts and flyknits but I really would like to see one of your Borrelli, Isaia and Partenopea sport coats. But that's just me. :)

post #399 of 585
^ For english shoes, I have tried Grenson, Cheaney, and C&J handgrade and I really like C&J especially the 337 last (but I would prefer Carmina over C&J handgrades). Can't justify buying EG or G&G because there is Vass at a lower price point.
post #400 of 585
Handmade buttonholes by Cornelio:




The jacket is from Eidos Napoli (Isaia's other brand). I asked Cornelio to redo the buttonholes and to take in the waist a bit.


post #401 of 585

Maybe it's just the picture, but the jacket seems a bit short.

post #402 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmx3 View Post

Maybe it's just the picture, but the jacket seems a bit short.

Yeah I think its just the angle. But the jacket is defintely not short.
post #403 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by aon View Post


Yeah I think its just the angle. But the jacket is defintely not short.

 

Or maybe I just prefer longish jackets/SCs (cross-post).

 

post #404 of 585
^ I actually prefer that length for suit jackets. For sports jackets I prefer them to be around 2 cm shorter or as long as the ass is covered. I also do not like short jackets with high buttoning point like those being sold in Zara or Massimo Dutti.

Here's another angle of the Eidos Napoli jacket:



I'll post photos of other jackets tweaked by Cornelio next week.

BTW Jason, your avatar is familiar. I think I saw it before in PhilMug.
post #405 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by aon View Post

^ I actually prefer that length for suit jackets. For sports jackets I prefer them to be around 2 cm shorter or as long as the ass is covered. I also do not like short jackets with high buttoning point like those being sold in Zara or Massimo Dutti.

Here's another angle of the Eidos Napoli jacket:



I'll post photos of other jackets tweaked by Cornelio next week.

BTW Jason, your avatar is familiar. I think I saw it before in PhilMug.


The jacket looks great on you.

 

Massimo Dutti's buttoning point is not as aggressive as Zara because it is also not as short. But it is higher because the jackets are generally shorter by an inch.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manila Tailor