or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Great tailor needed for custom clothing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Great tailor needed for custom clothing

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I would like to take some favorite items to a great custom tailor in Los Angeles. Any recommendations ?
post #2 of 16
...
post #3 of 16
charles the tailor on Pico or maybe it's Olympic. he's worked one several of my items and he does an actor's clothing who buys from me.
post #4 of 16
I'm interested in the same question. I'd like a reliable tailor in LA to work on my suits. I'm also wondering if there is a good tailor in LA that makes custom suits for around $1000. I know a few that work in the $2500-$5000 range, but that's out of the question for me.
post #5 of 16
...
post #6 of 16
When I lived on the west side I used to get alterations done by Harold Kim at Tartaglia, across the street from the Peninsula in BH. I haven't been out that way in a long time and I don't know if he is still around. He always did a good job on my suits (sometimes extensive work, like recutting trousers), and I know a couple of people who got custom suits from him that were decent. I've had my last couple of RTW sport coats altered at Bill Cairo on Huntington in San Marino. They do a nice job.
post #7 of 16
for alterations i recommend enzo caruso. his shop is in santa monica on ocean park, near 31st street. baron, if you need a custom suit in that price range, i'd say mr. young's on wilshire boulevard near vermont avenue. he will give you a full canvas front with handwork where it's needed. his client's include many celebrities and television shows. prices start at $700 and go up fast. be very specific about your styling preferences, otherwise you'll end up with a big shouldered boardroom sack.
post #8 of 16
I second the recommendation of Charles, who is on Olympic and LaPeer. Jeff, the manager at Scott Hill, referred me to him several years ago when Scott Hill's in-house tailor was not up to snuff--I would get a credit on the suits I purchased to offset the alterations bill (the credit was never as much as the bill--Charles is not cheap). He has altered around a dozen suits (mostly Kiton, a couple of Brioni and an Attolini), and done a terrific job each time.
post #9 of 16
charles is not cheap, no doubt. he said he's retiring in 1.5 years. you get what you pay for though, so he's good
post #10 of 16
Maybe this should be posted as it's own topic, but I'm wondering what my best option is: Option 1: Mr Young on Wilshire as recommended by Matadorpoeta for a fully custom suit; Option 2: WW Chan, coming in November for a custom suit, only on e measure. I've heard the suits are very well done; Option 3: A very nice RTW off of ebay, like a Borrelli I've been looking at for about $1000. Will the Borrelli be higher quality than the Chan? Can I get something with a stylish cut from a lower cost local tailor? I like the things I see on ebay, to a point, but I would really love to pick my own fabric and style and rather than take whatever is available. Any advice?
post #11 of 16
Quote:
charles is not cheap, no doubt.  he said he's retiring in 1.5 years.  you get what you pay for though, so he's good
Re: Charles: Can you give us a rough idea of the costs, roughly for different spots of tailoring? Thanks. H.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Maybe this should be posted as it's own topic, but I'm wondering what my best option is: Option 1: Mr Young on Wilshire as recommended by Matadorpoeta for a fully custom suit; Option 2: WW Chan, coming in November for a custom suit, only on e measure. I've heard the suits are very well done; Option 3: A very nice RTW off of ebay, like a Borrelli I've been looking at for about $1000. Will the Borrelli be higher quality than the Chan? Can I get something with a stylish cut from a lower cost local tailor? I like the things I see on ebay, to a point, but I would really love to pick my own fabric and style and rather than take whatever is available. Any advice?
i think a lot depends on what style of suit you want and what your body type is. if you have a 'normal' body and like the suits you see at stores, there's no need to go custom. i've gone to mr. young in the past only because i like one-button suits but have a hard time finding them in my price range (their becoming increasingly popular lately). for three-button suits i go rtw, but i also have very normal proportions.
post #13 of 16
Just to add a difference of opinion about Charles Tailoring on Olympic.  I had heard about him and took in a very simple job just as a test. I ask him to put cuffs on a new pair of unfinished trousers.  When I picked them up they were at least an inch too short..   He fixed them, but wasn't pleasant about it (that's the second test of a tailor). And he was four times as expensive as my usual tailor in Hermosa Beach. Andy
post #14 of 16
How does everybody determine how good the alteration tailor will be untill they get it done, especially if you can't ask anybody else? In OC, I don't think I have much of an option. Somebody suggested taking to Gary's, one of the most expensive retail stores around. But, that seems like the same logic where that one guy had so much trobule with Barney's. And, do you think that certain people can do tailoring better than others. It seems that Hong Kong can do pretty good tailoring because they were trained by the English. But, what about Vietenamese? Do they also have this tailoring tradition?
post #15 of 16
Quote:
How does everybody determine how good the alteration tailor will be untill they get it done, especially if you can't ask anybody else? In OC, I don't think I have much of an option. Somebody suggested taking to Gary's, one of the most expensive retail stores around. But, that seems like the same logic where that one guy had so much trobule with Barney's. And, do you think that certain people can do tailoring better than others. It seems that Hong Kong can do pretty good tailoring because they were trained by the English. But, what about Vietenamese? Do they also have this tailoring tradition?
I always start by having a simple job done, or taking an inexpensive and/or already screwed up item to the tailor. If they can't handle an easy job they will surely screw up on the complex. But you are really always at some risk. I suggested Gary's elsewhere simply because I thought it might be a good place to start looking. Personally, I always try to go to a tailor that makes custom clothes, rather than store tailors, but some retail places do have good tailors. I think training, and inherent skill, are more important than nationality. I've had excellent work done at one shop by a guy from Mexico directed by the Korean shopkeeper, and if one went solely by national stereotypes you wouldn't think these folks would have been as good as they were.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Great tailor needed for custom clothing