or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › The danger of Google, Twitter, and Facebook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The danger of Google, Twitter, and Facebook - Page 5

post #61 of 81
I got a fucking lot to hide.
post #62 of 81
Real talk. Do you guys honestly mind that much that you are being anonymously tracked and added to a huge data pool that's used to create targeted advertising and algorithms? I mean it sounds creepy and the ads hurt your eyes but beyond that does it really cause you any harm online or off?
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Real talk. Do you guys honestly mind that much that you are being anonymously tracked and added to a huge data pool that's used to create targeted advertising and algorithms? I mean it sounds creepy and the ads hurt your eyes but beyond that does it really cause you any harm online or off?


Personally I could care less

post #64 of 81
I don't have much to hide, I mean I'm pretty normal, but I do still take quite a lot of care to remain anonymous. And moreso, personally as much as I study, love, and work in the business of understanding consumer psychology (sales and marketing with psychology and business degrees), I hate hate hate commercials. They drive me insane. I can't stand TV ads, radio ads, newspaper and magazine ads, youtube, blog ads, app ads, the lot of 'em. I go to great pains to block as much of it as possible or in some cases completely avoid them. I don't own a television, don't listen to radio, don't buy magazines or newspapers. I have adblockers on my computer for browsing sites and on my phone for blocking everything possible there too. I never sign up for things and frequently unsubscribe and click 'don't send feedback' etc stuff. blah I'm on a rant. It just drives me crazy. And anytime I hear radio, or watch someone's TV, I'm just so intolerant of the commercials I change channels, put it on mute, etc.
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Real talk. Do you guys honestly mind that much that you are being anonymously tracked and added to a huge data pool that's used to create targeted advertising and algorithms? I mean it sounds creepy and the ads hurt your eyes but beyond that does it really cause you any harm online or off?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

I don't have much to hide, I mean I'm pretty normal, but I do still take quite a lot of care to remain anonymous. And moreso, personally as much as I study, love, and work in the business of understanding consumer psychology (sales and marketing with psychology and business degrees), I hate hate hate commercials. They drive me insane. I can't stand TV ads, radio ads, newspaper and magazine ads, youtube, blog ads, app ads, the lot of 'em. I go to great pains to block as much of it as possible or in some cases completely avoid them. I don't own a television, don't listen to radio, don't buy magazines or newspapers. I have adblockers on my computer for browsing sites and on my phone for blocking everything possible there too. I never sign up for things and frequently unsubscribe and click 'don't send feedback' etc stuff. blah I'm on a rant. It just drives me crazy. And anytime I hear radio, or watch someone's TV, I'm just so intolerant of the commercials I change channels, put it on mute, etc.

 

The advertising piece, I don't care about.  I don't have anything to really hide, but I don't like the idea of the state having that data or any number of things, but just to get targeted ads, no I don't care, in fact, I rather they were targeted.  You're going to get them anyway.

post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Real talk. Do you guys honestly mind that much that you are being anonymously tracked and added to a huge data pool that's used to create targeted advertising and algorithms? I mean it sounds creepy and the ads hurt your eyes but beyond that does it really cause you any harm online or off?

I don't mind that much about the privacy aspect and when I do I just take extra measures to protect it where I can. Personally I don't think it's the advertising that's the problem, it's that all this data will be used to create various forms of artificial intelligence. I guess in a sense the advertising is a very simple form of this. In time (or maybe already happening) this will all be able to control you (or parts of you) without you even knowing because the data being pooled is a blueprint for what we think about, how, where, etc.
post #67 of 81

I'm most concerned about how that info could be used against me in a job search/interview and then how the state would use it. From what I've read though, if one doesn't do monumentally stupid shit and post it to social media, and use TOR/Onion and such, one is relatively inconspicuous; no one has questioned me about my tastes in p0rn so far.

 

The state already knows my basic personal information.


Edited by BrooksLauren77 - 10/23/15 at 10:18pm
post #68 of 81
The only thing they can possibly bust me online is for all the webcam videos I have downloaded, but I swear they look 18.
post #69 of 81
post #70 of 81

^That episode was great. Too bad they killed reality, literally. He would've been a great recurring character, like that old guy who kept yelling at Cartman to stop plotting against his friends in his garden(game of thrones reference).

post #71 of 81

On topic
Any of you use Ghostery? It basically blocks any tracker on a website, so stuff like Google Analytics and Amazon Associates. If you really wanna go stealth mode, use Tor web browser, but you won't be able to watch videos on it....

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulan View Post

On topic

Any of you use Ghostery? It basically blocks any tracker on a website, so stuff like Google Analytics and Amazon Associates. If you really wanna go stealth mode, use Tor web browser, but you won't be able to watch videos on it....


I use Ghostery. It's unobtrusive and helpful.
post #73 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulan View Post

^That episode was great. Too bad they killed reality, literally. He would've been a great recurring character, like that old guy who kept yelling at Cartman to stop plotting against his friends in his garden(game of thrones reference).


Did they really kill Kenny for good? I haven't seen him on the new season.
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post


Did they really kill Kenny for good? I haven't seen him on the new season.

Idk where you got that. Kenny explained when he was Mysterion, that after every death, he wakes up in bed and everyone's memory of him dying is erased. As for the new season, he's on the third one, The City Part of Town.

post #75 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulan View Post

Idk where you got that. Kenny explained when he was Mysterion, that after every death, he wakes up in bed and everyone's memory of him dying is erased. As for the new season, he's on the third one, The City Part of Town.

I'm troubled. Kenny used to be in every episode. Now he's a cameo actor? Dropping by from time to time? That's like have "The Two Stooges." Unacceptable.

Also, I know nothing of Mysterion. I will have to check the wiki.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › The danger of Google, Twitter, and Facebook