or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wunder Leathers NYC - Leather Motorcycle Jacket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wunder Leathers NYC - Leather Motorcycle Jacket

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

I was considering getting a Wunder Leathers NYC leather jacket. As of October 2015 they're a small company that only make one model of motorcycle jacket, similar in style to the classic Schott Perfecto or the newer model double rider TOJ (Falcon Garments), and others. They make subtle design tweaks however that they discuss on their website (in an interview with another website).

I was wondering if anyone has bought this leather jacket from this brand, and had any opinions on quality and fit? I imagine since hey are newer, there might not be as much opinion regarding longevity, however the owner does mention on their website "we're entirely made in New York by experienced leather jacket workmen"

Photos can be seen on their website:
http://www.wunderleathersnyc.com

Thanks!
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 

a quote from the website:

"Wunder Leathers was birthed out of our search for the ONE, functional, high quality, perfect fitting leather motorcycle jacket. The ONE, perfect, staple jacket that you will own your whole life and will be passed onto your kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.

We believe the motorcycle jacket is the toughest and most iconic fashion staple that has ever been created. It always was and still is a symbol of rebellion, and over the years it has morphed into THE uniform of Rock’N’Roll, which is why we fell in love with it and took on the task of perfecting it.

Our jacket was co-designed and manufactured in the USA by the designers and makers of the original motorcycle jacket in the 1920’s. We thought out every small detail thoroughly, from the inside out. We worked together for over a year morphing and revising the best design elements of traditional American and English motorcycle jackets, then we modernized and perfected the fit without sacrificing function or quality.

We think we landed on a finished product that is pretty incredible. We believe it is the best balance of function, fashion, and quality that you will be able to find in your search for the ONE perfect motorcycle jacket."
 

(Here are some photos from the website)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think overall it's definitely a very nice style, similar. They've mentioned certain design decisions, such as making the jacket longer, that definitely improves the overall look. Maybe the biggest factor would be that they use a "buttery-soft mid-weight pebbled cowhide", with the idea that it feels as soft as lamb, however will be more durable in the long term. I personally like the pebbled look too, in that it is not too shiny from the outset while still retaining a low level of sheen, and certainly looks like it molds to your body and isn't too stiff (if this is what you want from your leather jacket, without spending years wearing it in). 

Thoughts anyone? It definitely seems like a pretty great product

post #3 of 10
Small point, but I prefer a two-way zipper on a jacket with a longer length like that.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Bump
post #5 of 10
dude we get it, you work for Wunder Leathers.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Haha nah I live in Australia...
But it's okay, you're a passive aggressive man approaching/beyond middle age who's a bit bored with life coz things have become a bit routine, so you go onto forums to troll/put down people with comments you would never have the balls to say in real life, but the internet is anonymous so it's all good! I'll let you have this one haha
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum13th View Post

Haha nah I live in Australia...
But it's okay, you're a passive aggressive man approaching/beyond middle age who's a bit bored with life coz things have become a bit routine, so you go onto forums to troll/put down people with comments you would never have the balls to say in real life, but the internet is anonymous so it's all good! I'll let you have this one haha

Um...that was a disproportionate reaction. If you come onto this forum, (or, really any forum) and aggressively promote a new product, you'll be accused of shilling for the company.

Regardless, another possible entry into filling the ToJ void. $800 for US made SOUNDS good on paper, and I agree that pebbled finish gets you away from the 1 percenter vibe.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1 View Post


Um...that was a disproportionate reaction. If you come onto this forum, (or, really any forum) and aggressively promote a new product, you'll be accused of shilling for the company.

Regardless, another possible entry into filling the ToJ void. $800 for US made SOUNDS good on paper, and I agree that pebbled finish gets you away from the 1 percenter vibe.


it sure was disproportionate! however;

- With 3 clicks and 30 seconds and they could've seen my only other post onto this forum was 1 year ago regarding having just bought a MTM suit from a brand based solely in Australia. I am obviously unaffiliated with a tiny leather jacket company based in NYC.

 

- Styleforum has a reputation among other similar platforms for having the wanky, eliteist, and arrogant "1%"ers as you put it,  so it's disappointing to get that response early in the only thread I've opened. What can you expect though I guess... My experiences on other forums is that is the vast  majority of people will be polite and ask if I am representing the brand or not, and tbh 99% of people will answer honestly.

Anyway, yeah the jacket seems pretty similar to a lot of standard double moto jackets on the market.

The big issue i've been undecided on is the pebbled leather, but yeah like you said in real life it does look less 'saint-laurent' and 'high-fashion' polished (fine if that's the look you want obviously). I think it would be most important to see it in real life, as seeing it move and flow is a lot more indicative than a photo.

 

After that, it only leaves the construction quality. You put it really well that "made in brooklyn", it seems good on paper, but who really knows. Hopefully someone on this forum can comment on this. (and also there's fit, but given the measurements it seems and looks fairly standard)

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum13th View Post



- Styleforum has a reputation among other similar platforms for having the wanky, eliteist, and arrogant "1%"ers as you put it,  so it's disappointing to get that response early in the only thread I've opened. What can you expect though I guess... My experiences on other forums is that is the vast  majority of people will be polite and ask if I am representing the brand or not, and tbh 99% of people will answer honestly.

Actually the 1 percenter was reference to motorcycle clubs/gangs. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150518-motorcycle-gangs-like-those-in-waco-are-1-percenters.ece

Nothing to do with style/fashion/or Styleforum.
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1 View Post

Actually the 1 percenter was reference to motorcycle clubs/gangs. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150518-motorcycle-gangs-like-those-in-waco-are-1-percenters.ece

Nothing to do with style/fashion/or Styleforum.

Haha ah fair enough, thought you meant 1% as in all the 'we are the 99%' stuff. Likewise, I agree some of the 1 percenters jackets are pretty bulky, short, and unappealing on that front
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wunder Leathers NYC - Leather Motorcycle Jacket