or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread. - Page 27

post #391 of 545
Thread Starter 
It's a toyota. So it is as easy to maintain as other toyota's.

the Lexus Ls, and GS. Are the best bet. With the Is300 aswell. Any with the 1uz or 2jz engines.

I recommended a GS to another member, and it has only had one repair in 2 years. (A sensor). Almost flawless.
post #392 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post

Pass on the mazdaspeed.

I still believe the stories about MR2's are exaggerated. It's not like RTC is going to be nailing the car into an apex,downshifting over a crest before he learns to drive stick. tongue.gif
Haha it doesn't take much man. Even if you're relatively proficient, a botched heel toe with a little dampness and around she goes.
post #393 of 545

Yeah, I'm honestly considering selling my car, bike, and throwing some money into the pot to get a used wrx next year.

The cars... scare me though. I feel like people abuse the shit out of them and an engine rebuild is pretty much guaranteed if you want a good running car. Rebuilds are fucking expensive though.

post #394 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Yeah, I'm honestly considering selling my car, bike, and throwing some money into the pot to get a used wrx next year.


The cars... scare me though. I feel like people abuse the shit out of them and an engine rebuild is pretty much guaranteed if you want a good running car. Rebuilds are fucking expensive though.

If you like reliability, just turbocharge an AWD Matrix S.
post #395 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post




If you like reliability, just turbocharge an AWD Matrix S.

 

This still looks tempting.

 

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2789900

 

Price is lower than a manual would be because it's less desirable. It's still reasonably low miles. And I could probably swing it with cash I have on hand and make up a bit with the money I get from selling my current wagon.

 

They apparently revamped a bunch of stuff in 06 and the engine got a pretty significant bump. A fair bit of torque and the entire curve shifted down almost 800rpm. But can't find any of those with this mileage for less than 13ish.

post #396 of 545
Thread Starter 
The 06's are famed for sucking. Not sure why.
But still, after all this stick shift talk. You post an auto?

Considered a 350z for under 10k? @CJ52racers is a fan too.
post #397 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj52racers View Post


Haha it doesn't take much man. Even if you're relatively proficient, a botched heel toe with a little dampness and around she goes.

 

Yes, doing anything too sudden in the rain can be asking for trouble. I really do like driving in the rain though. It acts like a magnifying glass and makes all my little mistakes become quite visible. Being attentive, you can learn a lot. It forces you to be smooth with all the controls and really pay attention to what the car is doing.

I would advise against rtc playing with heel/toe until he gets some time with the manual and has developed a feel for the clutch and how to blip the throttle without braking at the same time. That way, he will develop some skills to help deal with a botched heel/toe, (say, under hard braking and when pivoting for the throttle, he misses it), that he has the skills to not only notice that, but to remain calm and adjust his foot to get the throttle blip in while easing the clutch to make a smooth shift.

....but all this talk may not matter if he ends up with an automatic again. lol!

post #398 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post

The 06's are famed for sucking. Not sure why.
But still, after all this stick shift talk. You post an auto?

Considered a 350z for under 10k? @CJ52racers is a fan too.

 

350Z isn't a great all around car for here sadly. 

 

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to come around to the idea that I should keep an eye out for something and possibly do this by using funds created by selling my bike. I could totally do it now too though, I'm still hunting for miatas and other convertibles that have hard top options. I would love to mess with a turbo miata lol. 

post #399 of 545

Do any of you happen to live near/around Albany by any chance and know how to drive stick?

post #400 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al9146 View Post

Yes, doing anything too sudden in the rain can be asking for trouble. I really do like driving in the rain though. It acts like a magnifying glass and makes all my little mistakes become quite visible. Being attentive, you can learn a lot. It forces you to be smooth with all the controls and really pay attention to what the car is doing.


I would advise against rtc playing with heel/toe until he gets some time with the manual and has developed a feel for the clutch and how to blip the throttle without braking at the same time. That way, he will develop some skills to help deal with a botched heel/toe, (say, under hard braking and when pivoting for the throttle, he misses it), that he has the skills to not only notice that, but to remain calm and adjust his foot to get the throttle blip in while easing the clutch to make a smooth shift.


....but all this talk may not matter if he ends up with an automatic again. lol!

Haha yeah, I wasn't advising jumping into things like heel/toe, just speaking from experience. I've turned a turbo mr2 in the rain. It's not that hard to do haha. Got on the brakes for a 4-3-2 downshift and on the 3 to 2 I didn't catch nearly enough throttle and tossed the rear. Caught it and didn't hit anything, but it can happen really quickly.
post #401 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

350Z isn't a great all around car for here sadly. 

 

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to come around to the idea that I should keep an eye out for something and possibly do this by using funds created by selling my bike. I could totally do it now too though, I'm still hunting for miatas and other convertibles that have hard top options. I would love to mess with a turbo miata lol. 

A 350z isn't good, but a turbo miata is?  I'm sorry, but I don't seem to understand your criteria.  Not criticising, just trying to understand.  

post #402 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves345 View Post
 

A 350z isn't good, but a turbo miata is?  I'm sorry, but I don't seem to understand your criteria.  Not criticising, just trying to understand.  

 

350Z would require more funds and would require selling my DD and bike, no? Miata is like 2-3k and could be covered by funds/bike sale. Miata would be a second car.

post #403 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

350Z would require more funds and would require selling my DD and bike, no? Miata is like 2-3k and could be covered by funds/bike sale. Miata would be a second car.

Ah, gotcha.  Proceed.

post #404 of 545

Yeah, I'm honestly seeing my bike selling for a decent amount more than I thought it would go for to be honest. If ebay sales are to be believed anyway. I wonder if I could trade it for a decent miata. 

post #405 of 545
Honestly, a Miata on steelies and Blizzaks are actually half way decent in the winter too due to their balance. As long as you have clearance in snow, they work just fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.