or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread. - Page 20

post #286 of 545

$30K to spend?   It really depends on what you like.  You can get a very nice new car with a bumper to bumper warranty or a very nice older luxury car and get a certified used car that extends the warranty to longer than the original factory warranty. 

 

I REALLY like the new Impala.  They are good looking, well optioned, sporty and reliable.  

 

Here's one (its just an example because it is in Wichita). 

 

Its a 2015 with 15K miles and its only $20,000.  

 

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12658047&AVi=2&No=0&Rp=R&D=70&zip=67207&N=4294960556&sP=0-30000&Us=2&Q=bbb60f48-1e6f-4429-9921-e0d7c2576db6&Ep=search:results:results%20page

 

OR, here's the super version (LTZ) and its $25K 

 

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12881182&AVi=7&No=0&Rp=R&D=70&zip=67207&N=4294960556&sP=0-30000&Us=2&Q=bbb60f48-1e6f-4429-9921-e0d7c2576db6&Ep=search:results:results%20page

 

The Chrysler 300 is very nice (but DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES get the 2.7L  engine!) 

 

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12582650&AVi=30&No=20&Rp=R&D=70&zip=67207&N=4294960556&sP=0-30000&Us=2&Q=bbb60f48-1e6f-4429-9921-e0d7c2576db6&Ep=search:results:results%20page

 

If you like a big car, the Toyota Avalons are very nice. I think they are little soulless, but still nice, good size and reliable

 

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12885197&AVi=73&No=60&Rp=R&D=70&zip=67207&N=4294960556&sP=0-30000&Us=2&Q=bbb60f48-1e6f-4429-9921-e0d7c2576db6&Ep=search:results:results%20page

 

How about a 2015 3 series (too small for my taste, but still very nice) 

 

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12954008&AVi=1&No=0&Rp=R&D=90&zip=67207&N=4294963045&sP=0-30000&Us=2&Q=509b28e2-6934-4231-9591-b6696844d488&Ep=search:results:results%20page

 

 

OR, a 5 series!   

 

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12954008&AVi=1&No=0&Rp=R&D=90&zip=67207&N=4294963045&sP=0-30000&Us=2&Q=509b28e2-6934-4231-9591-b6696844d488&Ep=search:results:results%20page

 

 

Or, if it were me, I would buy this gorgeous car! 

 

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=12887067&AVi=5&No=0&Rp=R&D=90&zip=67207&N=4294963045+4294961372&sP=0-30000&Us=2&Q=509b28e2-6934-4231-9591-b6696844d488&Ep=search:results:results%20page

post #287 of 545

Spent most of the day Sunday with my son (he will be 5 years old this month) working on cars!   

 

First, we changed the spark plugs in the my 2000 BMW 740iL, then had to jump start other BMW because battery was dead and it been sitting for a while.  Turned out the battery was actually bad.  Less than 18 months old -- replaced under warranty!   

 

We washed both cars (at the car wash) and made several trips to Parts store.  Also replaced wipers on my wife's SUV.  Aired up tires on BMW that had been in garage.  All in all a great father son bonding day working and learning about cars! 

post #288 of 545
Understanding that you're a reasonable person coming from a '13 Elantra, I'd pick up a lightly used Lexus IS350 F sport. They are natural step up in the Japanese category. Performance, luxury, reliability, resale; should be a great all-around ownership experience.
post #289 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomore View Post
 

Hey guys, might be in the market for a new car soon. Currently drive a 2013 hyundai elantra but it falls in neither the sporty or luxury category that I'm used to driving so I'm looking for an upgrade.

 

If you had 30k to spend what would you get?

 

I'm looking for a sedan.

 

Doesn't have to be brand new but I'm looking for something to keep long term.

 

Thanks in advance my thrifty bros!

 

 

Sedan? I'd get a Subaru Legacy 3.6R... If you have any sort of weather, you will love the AWD. And that engine is a huge step up from the base model...

post #290 of 545
Ooh, I wanna play.

Need a (used) small- to mid-sized SUV, have about $10-12K to spend.

What models and years would you suggest? Biggest priority is reliability; second is fuel economy. Third row seating a plus but not necessary.
post #291 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Ooh, I wanna play.

Need a (used) small- to mid-sized SUV, have about $10-12K to spend.

What models and years would you suggest? Biggest priority is reliability; second is fuel economy. Third row seating a plus but not necessary.

Toyota Rav4.
post #292 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Ooh, I wanna play.

Need a (used) small- to mid-sized SUV, have about $10-12K to spend.

What models and years would you suggest? Biggest priority is reliability; second is fuel economy. Third row seating a plus but not necessary.

 

 

Go with either a Toyota or a Subaru.

 

 

Around here, Scoobies are premium priced, but they're reliable as hell if you take care of them. Same for Toyota... There's a Sienna and a Forester in my driveway.

post #293 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Ooh, I wanna play.

Need a (used) small- to mid-sized SUV, have about $10-12K to spend.

What models and years would you suggest? Biggest priority is reliability; second is fuel economy. Third row seating a plus but not necessary.

 

This all depends on whether you mind some age and miles.   The Lexus RX330 are great cars.  But, for that price it is going to be close to 10 years old and close to 100,000 miles. 

 

I think the Ford Explorer is pretty hard to beat in terms of value and reliability for a family SUV.  They make a ton of them, so used values are not that high.  Also, because there are a million of them, parts are plentiful and a lot of mechanics can work on them.  The Eddie Bauer Explorers are every bit as nice as any luxury SUV.  But, they are an SUV and will ride like one as opposed to vehicles like a RAV4, or CRV.  

 

I also really like the Honda Pilot (some might consider it a large SUV, but I think of it as mid size).  My father had a Pilot and he never had to do anything to it except minor maintenance and tires.   If you think the Pilot is too large, the Honda CRV is more reasonably sized and they have gotten a little larger than they used to be.  

 

In terms of reliability, I would avoid all Jeeps, the Dodge/Chrysler Mid Size SUVs, the VW Toureg. 

 

I know I am in the minority, but I really like wagons especially for a family vehicle.  Don't be scared by the word wagon.  Look at most SUV/CUV/Crossover vehicles, they are really just beefed up Wagons.    Look at the Subaru Outback, The Acura TSX Wagon, The Volvo Wagons, etc.  

post #294 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post


Go with either a Toyota or a Subaru.


Around here, Scoobies are premium priced, but they're reliable as hell if you take care of them. Same for Toyota... There's a Sienna and a Forester in my driveway.

I am not sure where Subaru gets the reliability badge. We had a 2005 Subaru outback that gave us a bunch of issues. And if you look at the long term dependability rankings that JD Power releases each year, Subaru is decidedly middle ground.
post #295 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

Toyota Rav4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post


Go with either a Toyota or a Subaru.


Around here, Scoobies are premium priced, but they're reliable as hell if you take care of them. Same for Toyota... There's a Sienna and a Forester in my driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post

This all depends on whether you mind some age and miles.   The Lexus RX330 are great cars.  But, for that price it is going to be close to 10 years old and close to 100,000 miles. 

I think the Ford Explorer is pretty hard to beat in terms of value and reliability for a family SUV.  They make a ton of them, so used values are not that high.  Also, because there are a million of them, parts are plentiful and a lot of mechanics can work on them.  The Eddie Bauer Explorers are every bit as nice as any luxury SUV.  But, they are an SUV and will ride like one as opposed to vehicles like a RAV4, or CRV.  

I also really like the Honda Pilot (some might consider it a large SUV, but I think of it as mid size).  My father had a Pilot and he never had to do anything to it except minor maintenance and tires.   If you think the Pilot is too large, the Honda CRV is more reasonably sized and they have gotten a little larger than they used to be.  

In terms of reliability, I would avoid all Jeeps, the Dodge/Chrysler Mid Size SUVs, the VW Toureg. 

I know I am in the minority, but I really like wagons especially for a family vehicle.  Don't be scared by the word wagon.  Look at most SUV/CUV/Crossover vehicles, they are really just beefed up Wagons.    Look at the Subaru Outback, The Acura TSX Wagon, The Volvo Wagons, etc.  

Thanks guys. This is along the lines I've been thinking. Our current car (which we're keeping) is an 04 Toyota Corolla, and it has been absolutely bulletproof. Other than routine maintenance (oil, tires, etc), it has cost me a grand total of $600 in repairs in 12 years. So we're super impressed with Toyotas and would lean towards a Toyota or Honda at first blush. CRV/RAV4/Pilot/Highlander.

@Fueco I'll look at Subarus. Friends had a Forester and loved it; it seemed to me like they were repairing it often, but that could be my imagination.

@Nobleprofessor A couple friends have older RXs and love them. Definitely keeping that in mind. Had not considered the Explorer much - I'd rather not have to repair it in the first place than have one that's cheap to repair, hence my comments about Japanese models above. But maybe I should rethink that.
post #296 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

I am not sure where Subaru gets the reliability badge. We had a 2005 Subaru outback that gave us a bunch of issues. And if you look at the long term dependability rankings that JD Power releases each year, Subaru is decidedly middle ground.

They seem to be variable. I've heard similar things to you from some owners, but I also know one guy who had a Subie (a Baja, I think?) with like 700K on the body and 300K+ on each of two motors he had in it.
post #297 of 545

With Subarus, you have to maintain them. I killed my first engine by overloading the car and driving through the Rockies without checking the oil... Everything else has been no-hassle... I've replaced the brake pads, tires, and all the engine parts you'd expect as part of regular maintenance. As long as you're good about the routine 3750 mile oil changes and replacing stuff as it wears out, you should be good to go (and not putting 1500+ pounds of stuff in the back of your Forester!!).

post #298 of 545

No Nissan love here?  The Rogue is the workhorse of their SUV line and you can find some with a third row seat.  That said I am a fan of the Rav4 in terms of reliability.  Subaru parts can get expensive.

edit: by workhorse I mean it is in the smaller suv class but can have a third row seat.  I should call it the flagship of their suv line

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleprofessor View Post
.  

In terms of reliability, I would avoid all Jeeps, the Dodge/Chrysler Mid Size SUVs, the VW Toureg. 

 

 

+10000000000

post #299 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post

No Nissan love here?  The Rogue is the workhorse of their SUV line and you can find some with a third row seat.  That said I am a fan of the Rav4 in terms of reliability.  Subaru parts can get expensive.
edit: by workhorse I mean it is in the smaller suv class but can have a third row seat.  I should call it the flagship of their suv line


+10000000000
Rogues are pretty nice for the money. I actually like the Mitsubishi Outlander as well. They don't hold value well either so they can be found cheapish on the second hand market.
post #300 of 545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

Ooh, I wanna play.

Need a (used) small- to mid-sized SUV, have about $10-12K to spend.

What models and years would you suggest? Biggest priority is reliability; second is fuel economy. Third row seating a plus but not necessary.

my first thought was Lexus. we have them known as the "Harrier" . or a Nissan Xtrail.  for SUVs. but i agree with @Nobleprofessor. a capable wagon can be a blessing in disguise.

enter the Subaru Legacy Turbo. Mrs Vader drives one. hated it first day. now loves it. comfortable, well optioned, plenty of space,and hauls ass in the snow.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueco View Post
 

With Subarus, you have to maintain them. I killed my first engine by overloading the car and driving through the Rockies without checking the oil... Everything else has been no-hassle... I've replaced the brake pads, tires, and all the engine parts you'd expect as part of regular maintenance. As long as you're good about the routine 3750 mile oil changes and replacing stuff as it wears out, you should be good to go (and not putting 1500+ pounds of stuff in the back of your Forester!!).

yes! stay on top of maintenance! super reliable if cared for, but not ignorantly bulletproof.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.