Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Neckties: A Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Neckties: A Discussion Thread - Page 60

post #886 of 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantiod View Post

Hi. I'm kinda new to fashion and was wondering how to factor in fabric, density, etc. into buying and using a tie.

On fabrics:

linen, cotton, shantung, and matka are particularly nice during spring-summer season when colors can also be lighter.

Standard silk ties are good year-round.

Wool, cashmere, and challis are great for fall-winter.

Silk neats (dots, floral, PoW, houndstooth, etc.) are the most formal style of ties and thus especially appropriate for suit get-ups.

Knits are great for more casual looks (odd jackets).
post #887 of 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgatz View Post

On fabrics:

linen, cotton, shantung, and matka are particularly nice during spring-summer season when colors can also be lighter.

Standard silk ties are good year-round.

Wool, cashmere, and challis are great for fall-winter.

Silk neats (dots, floral, PoW, houndstooth, etc.) are the most formal style of ties and thus especially appropriate for suit get-ups.

Knits are great for more casual looks (odd jackets).

Thanks!
post #888 of 1126
Anyone seen Berg&Bergs' AW16 collection? If so what do you think?

I've just purchased their new Six Fold Handrolled Small Pattern Silk Tie - Bottle Green/Deep Red/Bronze
post #889 of 1126
A couple nice ones in there. I ordered two, one was the medallion burgundy and the second... I forgot! Also picked up a square. I mostly wear Capelli and Hober, but do have a few berg and berg and cannot complain.
post #890 of 1126
Received it today.. absolutely spot on!

Could do with a nice box though.

post #891 of 1126
Has anyone else noticed an increasing number of "burgundy" knits are an ugly, sort of orangey reddish color? I've seen a few from different vendors (BB is one), and I'm wondering if I'm nuts or if something has happened further up the supply chain.
post #892 of 1126

Orange is the new black (seriously)

post #893 of 1126

Perhaps a bit of an odd question, but I've been unsuccessfully trying to figure out what type of knot this is (see pictures) for a long time. It looks similar to a four-in-hand knot, but the knot is a bit longer and narrower, and - importantly - the edges of the tie curve inward right below the knot to create sort of a tubular look. This type of knot seems like it can only be done with a printed tie (e.g. type of material used for Hermes/Ferragamo ties. Perhaps it is in fact a variation of the four-in-hand, but I can't figure out how to make it look this way. 

 

Any thoughts appreciated - thanks!

 

 

post #894 of 1126

Seems to just be a combination of flimsily constructed tie and inferior tying skill -- bottom of tie knot not being pinched when tying, creating a tube.

post #895 of 1126

If you want, we can name this knot.

post #896 of 1126
I'm not keen on that knot at all.. looks like half a job. Think its a prince albert though
post #897 of 1126
Wouldn't surprise me to find it's a four in hand, albeit a shittily tied one.
post #898 of 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Wouldn't surprise me to find it's a four in hand, albeit a shittily tied one.

Nice proper use of an adverb. 👍
post #899 of 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count de Monet View Post

Nice proper use of an adverb. 👍

I was stunned when iPhone didn't give me the red squiggle line lol.

I'm still 99.9% certain that isn't a word, but I was 100% it wasn't prior to today!
post #900 of 1126

OED says it's not, but does give the 1936 invention of "shitticism."

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post


I was stunned when iPhone didn't give me the red squiggle line lol.

I'm still 99.9% certain that isn't a word, but I was 100% it wasn't prior to today!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Neckties: A Discussion Thread