Sorry for the cross post
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by Cleav, 10/30/15
Related Forum Threads
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 26TH FEBRUARY 2016 BROWN TIE CHALLENGE (BTC) Last post on 3/2/16 at 4:36am in Classic Menswear
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 19th February 2016 The Green Tie Challenge! Last post on 2/23/16 at 10:32pm in Classic Menswear
- TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition Last post on 9/29/16 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 1/19/17 at 3:14pm in Classic Menswear
- Consolidated Sales: Tom Ford, Stile Latino, Cesare Attolini, Roda, Dolcepunta, Tie Your Tie,... Last post on 12/19/15 at 10:47am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Neckties: A Discussion Thread - Page 58post #856 of 10858/11/16 at 11:58ampost #857 of 10858/11/16 at 1:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cleav
Very interesting TP, my shantung's measure as new
Without measuring I know my Drakes grenadines have stretched, I accept Sartodi is likely right that it is my fault. Nevertheless, my EGC grenadine (of a similar construction) have not and are treated in the same casual manner.
Thanks Cleav. Good to know that your shantungs are stable. My newest tie (Drake's) measures at least two inches longer than the listed measurement on the seller's site. Puzzled by the variance I'm seeing.post #858 of 10858/11/16 at 1:51pmGoing through ties to weed out some I rarely wear. This is one I picked up in berg and berg sale a year or so ago. Wool/silk grenadine mix I think, at the time I thought I would wear but have perhaps once? Thoughts on it? Also how to wear? It's thicker than my other olive grenadine tie and doesn't tie as sleek a knot, not particularly wild about it.post #859 of 10858/11/16 at 5:13pmpost #860 of 10858/13/16 at 6:29ampost #861 of 10858/13/16 at 9:56amQuote:
Brown irish linen (random ebay tie) / Chive Matka (Vanda). The matka is definiely softer and pills more; weave seems to be a bit larger/looser.post #862 of 10858/13/16 at 10:02ampost #863 of 10858/13/16 at 10:03ampost #864 of 10858/13/16 at 10:09amQuote:Originally Posted by TweedyProf
I wasn't expecting the pilling. What do you think about the longevity of the matka then?
Definite piling, but I can't remember whether it was already there when it arrived or has happened since. I've worn it maybe 6-8 times. I guess in comparison to linen or other types of fabric it may not stand the same test of time but I really have no idea; I've never worn a tie to its final demise before!Quote:Originally Posted by Cleav
both nice @jcmeyer, you had them on them recently?
I don't think I have any pics of the brown linen on; it's pretty skinny so I don't reach for it all that often. Here are a couple pics of the Matka:post #865 of 10858/13/16 at 10:14amQuote:Originally Posted by jcmeyer
Definite piling, but I can't remember whether it was already there when it arrived or has happened since. I've worn it maybe 6-8 times. I guess in comparison to linen or other types of fabric it may not stand the same test of time but I really have no idea; I've never worn a tie to its final demise before!
I don't think I have any pics of the brown linen on; it's pretty skinny so I don't reach for it all that often. Here are a couple pics of the Matka:
Ah, I do remember now very good indeed. Shame about that brown linen, looks good. Cursory searches/purchaese on the Bay et al can often reveal real great finds, keepers but not in a real rotation and others that can be binned. I've surfed all of those waves!post #866 of 10858/13/16 at 10:19amQuote:
Edited by SartodiNapoli - 8/13/16 at 12:37pmpost #867 of 10858/13/16 at 11:19ampost #868 of 10858/13/16 at 11:50ampost #869 of 10858/13/16 at 12:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by Gavinband
Going through ties to weed out some I rarely wear. This is one I picked up in berg and berg sale a year or so ago. Wool/silk grenadine mix I think, at the time I thought I would wear but have perhaps once? Thoughts on it? Also how to wear? It's thicker than my other olive grenadine tie and doesn't tie as sleek a knot, not particularly wild about it.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In general I do believe that Berg & Berg offer some of the best value for money on the market, but the problem you describe is one that I have encountered more than once with their ties. The fact that some of the fabrics they use are simply too heavy. Combined with lining and the rather big loop they use these ties are very difficult to get to look right. I'm always cautious with their wool ties.post #870 of 10858/13/16 at 12:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cleav
This A&S (charcoal) arrived the other day in readiness for cooler times ahead, liked it so much I ordered the blue one too. Really impressed.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sorry for the cross post
Looks very nice. Do you buy them from their online shop? I've bought a few when I've been in London but they seem to have a bigger selection online nowadays.
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
- › Viberg Boots 6 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 6 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 15 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 21 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 23 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 30 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 36 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 37 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...