Surprisingly little love for black ties with non-black shoes over in the "Ask a question..." threak; coming out in favor of black knits with brown shoes feels a little taking the pro position in a debate about gravity.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryTiestagged by Cleav, 10/30/15
Related Forum Threads
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 26TH FEBRUARY 2016 BROWN TIE CHALLENGE (BTC) Last post on 3/2/16 at 4:36am in Classic Menswear
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 19th February 2016 The Green Tie Challenge! Last post on 2/23/16 at 10:32pm in Classic Menswear
- TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition Last post on 9/29/16 at 9:34am in Classic Menswear
- H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread Last post on 12/4/16 at 9:17am in Classic Menswear
- Consolidated Sales: Tom Ford, Stile Latino, Cesare Attolini, Roda, Dolcepunta, Tie Your Tie,... Last post on 12/19/15 at 10:47am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Neckties: A Discussion Thread - Page 34post #497 of 108210/18/15 at 9:26amThread Starterpost #498 of 108210/18/15 at 9:42am
Another one for the black tie + black shoes. Not always though. It is just that black tie is often worn with white shirt and suits for an austere look.
I have been known to sport a black tie, white shirt and tan/brown suit and brown shoes and also a black tie and brown tweed OJ or grey herringbone OJ with brown shoes.post #499 of 108210/18/15 at 10:06ampost #500 of 108210/18/15 at 10:07ampost #501 of 108210/18/15 at 10:31amThread Starter^ seems reasonable.
If I got a black knit, I'd wear with blue shirt, navy jacket, gray trou, and black shoes. I am sure there are other ways I could integrate it into my wardrobe, but I think that would be my standard (perhaps exclusive) application of the black knit. I'd use different blue jackets and different gray pants of course. Same shoes though (only one pair of black shoes)post #502 of 108210/18/15 at 4:56pmpost #503 of 108210/18/15 at 7:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
^ seems reasonable.
If I got a black knit, I'd wear with blue shirt, navy jacket, gray trou, and black shoes. I am sure there are other ways I could integrate it into my wardrobe, but I think that would be my standard (perhaps exclusive) application of the black knit. I'd use different blue jackets and different gray pants of course. Same shoes though (only one pair of black shoes)
Black and the right brown can be such a superb combination.post #504 of 108210/18/15 at 7:23pmBlack knit and burg shoes are fine, but of course you already knew my opinion.
Not to re-tread, but just to have some additional examples here for discussion:Quote:Originally Posted by turkoftheplains
I just tend not to wear knit ties with suits. I don't have any aversion to doing it, and have seen it done well many times. Since I only wear black shoes with suits (a personal non-rule "rule"), my black knit tie has never been worn with black shoes.
Black ties with non-black shoes:
Originally Posted by Henry Carter
Originally Posted by Mantonpost #505 of 108210/18/15 at 7:45pmThread Starterpost #506 of 108210/18/15 at 10:03pmpost #507 of 108210/18/15 at 10:46pmpost #508 of 108210/18/15 at 11:18pmpost #509 of 108210/18/15 at 11:53pmpost #510 of 108210/19/15 at 7:06amQuote:Even if they're not actually black, I think black tie/brown jacket is a great combination and definitely one where brown shoes feel most natural.
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 19 seconds ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 1 minute ago
- › Things you just don't get 1 minute ago
- › S.E.H Kelly 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Burberry's Gray Mansuit 5 minutes ago
- › New Tie - What to wear with it? 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 8 minutes ago
- › Burberry's Gray Mansuit 11 minutes ago
- › Burberry's Gray Mansuit 13 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway