or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone - Page 67

post #991 of 2656





Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Search Results










com·pen·sate


ˈkämpənˌsāt/


verb

 


  1. 1



    give (someone) something, typically money, in recognition of loss, suffering, or injury incurred; recompense.


    "payments were made to farmers to compensate them for cuts in subsidies"




    synonyms: recompenserepay, pay back, reimburseremuneraterecouprequiteindemnify


    "we agreed to compensate him for his loss"











    •  


       















  2. 2



    make up for (something unwelcome or unpleasant) by exerting an opposite force or effect.


    "officials have boosted levies to compensate for huge deficits"




     


     




     


     











     


     




     


     


     




















  3.  



     

     













 


 

 



 



 




 





 

 







Edited by Piobaire - 11/24/15 at 10:24am
post #992 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Sounds like he was compensated as his superior refused to promote him because he wants to treat women as second class citizens.

We have a winner.

The boss got nothing even though she got mistreated, but that's the equality bureau for you. Apparently gender equality doesn't count if one part is Muslim.


Religion really should be banned.
post #993 of 2656
rolleyes.gif the only thing worse than crappy things of no consequence that immigrants do is people's complaints on internet fashion boards about crappy things of no consequence that immigrants do
post #994 of 2656

Yeah, that's definitely not a Muslim thing either. This guy is just a dickhead. If a woman extends her hand to you then you shake it. What you're not supposed to do is extend your hand to a woman. If a woman doesn't offer her hand then you put your right hand over your heart and give a slight head bow. 

post #995 of 2656
It is a "Muslim thing" as some Muslims do this with Islam being their reason. Why the fuck do people back away from this? It's not solely the purview of some Muslims but it clearly is the purview of some Muslims.
post #996 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

rolleyes.gif the only thing worse than crappy things of no consequence that immigrants do is people's complaints on internet fashion boards about crappy things of no consequence that immigrants do

It obviously was of some consequence as his actions, and her reactions, caused a compensatory award to be given...to the offender.
post #997 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

It is a "Muslim thing" as some Muslims do this with Islam being their reason. Why the fuck do people back away from this? It's not solely the purview of some Muslims but it clearly is the purview of some Muslims.


Because religion is irrelevant. Dickheads would just find new ways to excuse their dickishness absent religion. 

 

You think Rick Santorum hates gays because of Christianity? No. He hates gays because he's an asshole (and probably gay himself).

post #998 of 2656
she didn't get a hand shake. boo hoo, quite the victim. file that under the fake hate crimes thread. it doesn't make for any interesting discourse except in the head of someone looking for any excuse to point out,,,, hey look at the immigrants they're bad people. but i guess that's what this thread really is for after all.
post #999 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post


Because religion is irrelevant. Dickheads would just find new ways to excuse their dickishness absent religion. 

You think Rick Santorum hates gays because of Christianity? No. He hates gays because he's an asshole (and probably gay himself).

Funny. I don't know a single atheist that won't shake a woman's hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

she didn't get a hand shake. boo hoo, quite the victim. file that under the fake hate crimes thread. it doesn't make for any interesting discourse except in the head of someone looking for any excuse to point out,,,, hey look at the immigrants they're bad people. but i guess that's what this thread really is for after all.

That's certainly not what I am saying but I will not hesitate to say, "This guy is a dick, and the reason he's giving for being a dick, is his religion (which is Islam.)" Also, it's not the handshake that concerns me, but rather what it represents, and it's part of treating women as second class citizens by some strains of religion.
post #1000 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Religion really should be banned.

I disagree.
post #1001 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

It is a "Muslim thing" as some Muslims do this with Islam being their reason. Why the fuck do people back away from this? It's not solely the purview of some Muslims but it clearly is the purview of some Muslims.

Generally agree, but I'd note that in this instance it's a Muslim thing, but in general it's not exclusively a Muslim thing - more a goofy patriarchal religious thing. I can still remember being a junior lawyer working on a case with a female, more senior lawyer. We had our first in-person meeting with an expert witness. Turned out he was a very religious, Orthodox Jew. My colleague extended her hand for a shake. He said, "I'm sorry, I don't shake hands with women. I was so impressed with her smoothness - without missing a beat she replied "no, no, I'm sorry . . . I should have realized."
post #1002 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Generally agree, but I'd note that in this instance it's a Muslim thing, but in general it's not exclusively a Muslim thing - more a goofy patriarchal religious thing. I can still remember being a junior lawyer working on a case with a female, more senior lawyer. We had our first in-person meeting with an expert witness. Turned out he was a very religious, Orthodox Jew. My colleague extended her hand for a shake. He said, "I'm sorry, I don't shake hands with women. I was so impressed with her smoothness - without missing a beat she replied "no, no, I'm sorry . . . I should have realized."

Nice story, but what really happened with her?
post #1003 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post


Because religion is irrelevant. Dickheads would just find new ways to excuse their dickishness absent religion. 

You think Rick Santorum hates gays because of Christianity? No. He hates gays because he's an asshole (and probably gay himself).

I don't totally disagree, but it's more complicated than that. Cloaking that shit in religion gives it a certain credibility in certain circles and makes it much easier to propagate. Some people are just assholes from birth. Others become assholes because all their life they've been subjected to a constant flow of shit coated in supposed celestial authority and/or social conformity. And there's no shortage of anecdotal stories out there of people who go through much of their lives thinking geys are evil because that's what they were taught by religious authorities and others in their faith community, only to eventually have some real world experience with gay folks who turn out to be pretty normal substantially change their thinking.
post #1004 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto View Post

Nice story, but what really happened with her?

Um, we won the trial and she's now a judge? Not sure I understand the question. I'm pretty sure there's a joke in there but I'm tired today and am not grokking it.
post #1005 of 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Generally agree, but I'd note that in this instance it's a Muslim thing, but in general it's not exclusively a Muslim thing - more a goofy patriarchal religious thing. I can still remember being a junior lawyer working on a case with a female, more senior lawyer. We had our first in-person meeting with an expert witness. Turned out he was a very religious, Orthodox Jew. My colleague extended her hand for a shake. He said, "I'm sorry, I don't shake hands with women. I was so impressed with her smoothness - without missing a beat she replied "no, no, I'm sorry . . . I should have realized."

That's why I said, "Not solely the purview..."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Migrants, Immigrants, Refugees, and Aliens in Euro-Zone