Originally Posted by Gibonius
We could just carpetbomb Dearborn.
Which "them" are you trying to defeat here? ISIS? Muslims? The fact that you didn't bother to distinguish kind of makes Obama's point.
ISIS, and more broadly, the radical element of Islam which extends far, far beyond the ~30K fighters ISIS has.
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Maybe we should carpet bomb those sick teenage fucks who shoot up their own high schools. Or do some of the limp-wristed folks around here favor coddling such mass murderers?
Mass School Shootings
- completely unpredictable. No real connection between assailants that would allow for a generalized approach to be effective in combating the problem. We can't put surveillance on 'frustrated teenage boys.'
- not part of a global ideology whose ultimate goal is to detonate a nuclear weapon in a western city and colonize western civilization through immigration.
- not part of an ideology that's practiced on a daily basis which is responsible for genocide, honor killings, rape, torture and acts of terrorism
- assailants share an ideology that's readily identifiable. A generalized approach, while "racist" would ensure that we drastically reduce the threat and in some cases prevent it completely. If we impose restrictions on immigration based on location/religion, some of the good ones don't get in, but we prevent attacks from future Muslim immigrants. Seems like a fantastic trade off unless you're on a suicide mission to prove how tolerant you are. We also stifle the influence that large scale Muslim immigration has on western culture, which by any measure seems to be overwhelmingly negative.
- unlike mass school shootings, which occur on an infrequent, sporadic basis, radical Islam is responsible for crimes against humanity on a daily basis, on a global scale.
I don't see the comparison here.