or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Take all of the guns. All of them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Take all of the guns. All of them. - Page 11

post #151 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Not comparable. Knives have other uses, a gun's only purpose is to kill. 
Depends upon the intent snd purpose no? For example a stiletto is an offensive attack blade as is ghukri and karambitshould they be banned because there only use is to kill?
post #152 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Not comparable. Knives have other uses, a gun's only purpose is to kill. 

Let's stipulate that's a guns only purpose. Having stipulated that my question to you is, "So?"
post #153 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

LOL. Round up all the brass out there? Stop saying things we can't take seriously!

I think the easiest solution here for you is just to declare we need to make people illegal.

It takes 50 years, no internal wars and no admissions of other countries within your no border area, but then you can get relatively close.
Major stocks that where added to the illegal gun pool in western Europe when the gladio caches where discovered by criminals (fun one; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio )
the balkan wars didn't help either (recently dozens of former balkan ak's where confiscated here) , and there is the whole eastern Europe iron curtain unaccountable arms thingy.

On the whole however, those people that do posses automatic arms, which is in my personal view what this issue should be about (can't reasonably be used for hunting, overkill for defense etc. etc. ) are on the whole registered and keep their arms in a safe, or at the gun range in a safe. Its a very small percentage. Yet, we still had a mass shooting as well in the last decade; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphen_aan_den_Rijn_shopping_mall_shooting , clearly demonstrating that the rules for firearms possession could use some fine tuning shog[1].gif

As for the; "its people that kill, not guns argument" , of course. But creating an environment where the threshold to obtain an automatic weapon is barely existent makes it very easy for a deranged or simply very angry person to go out and kill a bunch of people. Creating this barrier by limiting automatic rifles could, and probably would limit the amount of damage such a person could do. Or at the very least would only leave it to the very determined..

I'd say the below numbers also support that, both numbers are per 100.000. At the very least a lot less people die here due to guns, either by accident or on purpose. Wouldn't it be worth just that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
Netherlands 0.46 US 10.64

Full disclose, I like guns, enjoy skeet every now and then and used to go hunting a couple of years ago..
post #154 of 1722
Nootje, don't confuse me with someone that has a problem with gun control. I just don't think we fix a bad situation with even worse "solutions."

Btw, it's 99% semi-autos used in these mass shootings in the US. I don't actually remember a full auto being used but hedged with the 99% figure.
post #155 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Nootje, don't confuse me with someone that has a problem with gun control. I just don't think we fix a bad situation with even worse "solutions."

Btw, it's 99% semi-autos used in these mass shootings in the US. I don't actually remember a full auto being used but hedged with the 99% figure.

I know you don't have a problem with it, my post started out just noting some impracticalities of gun control here, but its relative succes even so. I simply kept on typing.

The difference between semiauto and auto is a bit lost on me, but then again its quite hard to have experience with those types of guns here biggrin.gif
I guess both of these categories have clips (without consulting wiki), which would make them not very practical for hunting, and thus would need to be controlled imho..
post #156 of 1722
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post


I know you don't have a problem with it, my post started out just noting some impracticalities of gun control here, but its relative succes even so. I simply kept on typing.

The difference between semiauto and auto is a bit lost on me, but then again its quite hard to have experience with those types of guns here biggrin.gif
I guess both of these categories have clips (without consulting wiki), which would make them not very practical for hunting, and thus would need to be controlled imho..


Semiautomatic firearms are capable of firing successive shots without manually operating the bolt or cocking the hammer. Automatic weapons will keep firing until you release the trigger or run out of ammo.

post #157 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarphe View Post

Depends upon the intent snd purpose no? For example a stiletto is an offensive attack blade as is ghukri and karambitshould they be banned because there only use is to kill?

The Kukri is a farming tool for the most part. The Karambit is a fucking killing machine. Gonna get me an Emerson Karambit!

post #158 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post


Your argument that guns aren't just made for killing is that they are also made for pretend killing? Really? 

What are baseball bats used for besides a sport?
post #159 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Not comparable. Knives have other uses, a gun's only purpose is to kill. 

Guns are also used for hunting, numerous forms of recreation and self defense. Anticipating the "we only need guns for self defense because of the proliferation of guns in the first place" - If I'm attacked by someone with a butcher's knife I'd prefer not to fight them with off a bat.
post #160 of 1722
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

If I'm attacked by someone with a butcher's knife I'd prefer not to fight them with off a bat.

 

Pansy. Either way Asp > baseball bat. 

 

Hunting is killing, by the way ;)

post #161 of 1722

How long until this thread is Godwinized?

post #162 of 1722
If 10 people were killed every year by guns, democrats would still be trying to take them. If they feel there's a need to create special rules to accommodate the vast population of trans-gendered people, it's fair to say that numbers have no impact whatsoever on their agenda.
post #163 of 1722

maybe your problem is really bullets?

 

you know, the Geneva Convention outlaws the use of hollow-point bullets in war - the reason is that bullets aren't necessarily meant to maim or kill soldiers but to neutralize them and remove them from the battlefield. hollow points sort of explode on impact and take big chunks out of the target; round points tend to zip through and don't maim in the same way...

 

but cops and most folks who have a gun for self-defense use hollow-points. why? because round-points zip right through an attacker, often not stopping them (and presenting a hazard to somebody standing in line behind them). but a hollow point will stop a person and minimize ricochets, etc. that's why they teach people to aim for the center of the torso and use hollow points for self-defense -  not to kill, but to stop. 

post #164 of 1722
Thread Starter 

I mean... in the Army I was taught to put two in the chest and one in the head. Sounds like killing to me. 

post #165 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksLauren77 View Post

How long until this thread is Godwinized?
Uh where you think the second amendment came from
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Take all of the guns. All of them.