or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Take all of the guns. All of them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Take all of the guns. All of them. - Page 87

post #1291 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35394065

Mass shooting in Canada last week and not a single usual suspect ranting about it. frown.gif

My condolences to my frozen brothers from a northern mother.
post #1292 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35394065

Mass shooting in Canada last week and not a single usual suspect ranting about it. frown.gif

 

I notice they don't talk about what kind of gun used.  They also are sure to note that Manitoba also has the highest rate of non-firearm related violence.  Something that is generally missing from US stories as well.

post #1293 of 1722
Active shooter situation at San Diego medical center.

Gun control / Lone Wolf / Mental Health / Muslim Terrorist Battle , Round 250834529384549584305 -- FIGHT !
latest?cb=20110804102238

edit: apparently the witness who reported the gun shots didn't actually bear witness to any -- "Investigators have found nothing to substantiate one person's report that someone fired gunshots Tuesday morning at the San Diego facility's Building 26, which contains barracks, a gym and administrative offices, Navy Capt. Curt Jones told reporters."
Edited by the shah - 1/26/16 at 11:37am
post #1294 of 1722
Nobody wanted to post anything about the guys who got into an argument over a repair bill in a gun shop and ended up shooting both the owner and his son dead?

Or the guy who was worried about mass shootings in a movie theater so he brought his gun to the show and managed to shoot the woman sitting in front of him?

If only there had been a good guy with a gun, right?

They weren't actually responsible gun owners, right?
post #1295 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Nobody wanted to post anything about the guys who got into an argument over a repair bill in a gun shop and ended up shooting both the owner and his son dead?

Or the guy who was worried about mass shootings in a movie theater so he brought his gun to the show and managed to shoot the woman sitting in front of him?

If only there had been a good guy with a gun, right?

They weren't actually responsible gun owners, right?
Guns are dangerous, we understand. Guns in the hands of the government only is historically catastrophic. I'd rather accidentally be shot at the movies than have extended martial law and being stripped of my civil liberties.
post #1296 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Nobody wanted to post anything about the guys who got into an argument over a repair bill in a gun shop and ended up shooting both the owner and his son dead?

Or the guy who was worried about mass shootings in a movie theater so he brought his gun to the show and managed to shoot the woman sitting in front of him?

If only there had been a good guy with a gun, right?

They weren't actually responsible gun owners, right?

 

Do you think the first guy wouldn't have stabbed or beaten up the dudes if he didn't have access to a gun?

The second guy, from what I heard was drunk.  In almost every state it is illegal to carry while intoxicated.

post #1297 of 1722
Well, considering he was in a gun store and the dispute was over a gun...the question of him having a gun seems a bit silly. And since knives don't typically cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, I doubt he would have gotten quite so worked up over his Kershaw.

The second guy... Who knows. Sounds like he might have just had a pint and a half and still been legal to drive, or he might have been totally wasted combined with the xanax depending on which story you read. He shouldn't have been carrying, but the gun lobby has been pushing the "be the good guy with a gun" image so hard that he couldn't resist a chance to be a "just in case" hero.
post #1298 of 1722
Anyone that thinks if people are carrying guns, that a certain percentage of them are idiots and should not be trusted to walk a dog safely, they are fooling themselves. Hell, how many times have we read of cops doing stupid shit with guns and getting someone shot? Remember the cop that shot his own leg while lecturing a class of kids about gun safety?


post #1299 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

how many times have we read of cops doing stupid shit with guns and getting someone shot?

 

About 1,100 times a year.

 

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

 

Oh wait, you asked how many times we've read about it.  That would be about a dozen, since the media ignore the rest.

post #1300 of 1722
1100 is how many people get killed, right? The number shot is presumably higher.
post #1301 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

1100 is how many people get killed, right? The number shot is presumably higher.

Yes 1,100 killed. Some of the killings probably didn't involve guns, but you're right - there were probably many more shootings that didn't result in death.
post #1302 of 1722
Homeowner Shoots, Kills Teen Burglary Suspect

“You have to look at it from every child’s point of view that was raised in the hood. You have to understand… how he gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school? You have to look at it from his point-of-view.”


http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/03/11/teen-burglary-suspect-killed-homeowner/#comments
post #1303 of 1722
Thread Starter 

Stealing is definitely a crime worthy of death. Definitely. 

post #1304 of 1722
post #1305 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post

Homeowner Shoots, Kills Teen Burglary Suspect

“You have to look at it from every child’s point of view that was raised in the hood. You have to understand… how he gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school? You have to look at it from his point-of-view.”


http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/03/11/teen-burglary-suspect-killed-homeowner/#comments

There is a lot of baloney quotes in that article. For instance this quote by one of the detectives in the case:
Quote:
“If there’s any type of situation that happens or they believe there’s a burglary at the home or any type of confrontation, dial 911. Have the police make that confrontation,” Ferrin said. “That’s what we’re here for.”

I guess he's never read Warren v. District of Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

Stealing is definitely a crime worthy of death. Definitely. 

This shows a lack of thinking and surfeit of emotion. He was more than just "stealing" as he was in the act of burglary. This definitionaly involves illegally entering the home of another person. You have this framed such that the act could have been shoplifting some clothes but I would submit the act of entering another's dwelling like this gives the course of events an entirely different cast. While I personally do not agree with the woman's actions we have a millennial long legal tradition of "defense of castle." A person's dwelling occupies a special place in our society on numerous levels.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Take all of the guns. All of them.