or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Take all of the guns. All of them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Take all of the guns. All of them. - Page 85

post #1261 of 1722
post #1262 of 1722
I'm ok with gun ownership, but do believe they should be restricted from certain areas like Universities (i've really got no desire to debate this so please carry on). I'm just sometimes given pause when I see people have huge collections of them. I understand wanting to protect yourself and your own, but some of the collections I have seen go way beyond this. As someone who has collected many types of items in the past I know I can't rationally give an explanation for this other than someone wanting to amass so many guns doesn't sit well for me. It feels slightly disturbing. Not that I would ever fight against one's right to do so.
post #1263 of 1722

maybe the most creeped out i've ever been is one time i had a dentist who would travel all over finding and killing butterflies and then making these crazy iridescent mosaics out of their wings.

 

it took me a couple of visits to compute exactly what i was looking at - forest for the trees i guess. i'm pretty sure the hairs on my arms and neck stood up as my 12-year-old brain figured it all out. 

 

hey people got their hobbies i guess.

post #1264 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post

maybe the most creeped out i've ever been is one time i had a dentist who would travel all over finding and killing butterflies and then making these crazy iridescent mosaics out of their wings.

it took me a couple of visits to compute exactly what i was looking at - forest for the trees i guess. i'm pretty sure the hairs on my arms and neck stood up as my 12-year-old brain figured it all out. 

hey people got their hobbies i guess.

He should meet this gal for coffee. https://membracid.wordpress.com/
post #1265 of 1722
Guns are small, expensive, and durable--they last for generations. Guns can be as ornate as you like, and they vary dramatically in what they're good for and what they can do. They cost nothing to maintain and consistently increase in value. There's a constant threat of the supply being cut off at any moment. How you can be surprised people collect them is beyond me.
post #1266 of 1722
FWIW a guy I went to school with has a large collection of knives and swords that I find slightly disturbing too.
post #1267 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Guns are small, expensive, and durable--they last for generations. Guns can be as ornate as you like, and they vary dramatically in what they're good for and what they can do. They cost nothing to maintain and consistently increase in value. There's a constant threat of the supply being cut off at any moment. How you can be surprised people collect them is beyond me.


i thought it was relatively easy to store guns improperly and they oxidize etc? i got a whole lecture on keeping cases closed, moisture, etc at a gun safety class. hell maybe i misunderstood.

post #1268 of 1722
Like superficial rust? Yes, it's easy to slightly disfigure the finish on a gun by storing it improperly, either by not cleaning it after handling (sweat rusts) or by not storing it in a climate controlled place (condensation). Black powder guns have to be cleaned after shooting to prevent corrosion.

But none of these are serious issues.
post #1269 of 1722
I guess I'm a collector. Different firearms serve different purposes. There is no foo.gif "One Gun".
post #1270 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

In the not too distant past Gary, IN was the murder capital (per capita) of the country.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/gary/gary-homicides-reaching-alarming-rate/article_daf2640f-6cdd-5533-a94a-f2ec386d84fd.html

Sounds similar to what happened in Little Rock. The problems in Gary are similar to those in Chicago - poverty, fatherless homes, lack of role models, drugs, etc. Rural or not, the demographics of Gary are what you see in bad neighborhoods in Chicago. Gary is 85% black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post

There is nothing surreal about a lack of geography knowledge, it's pretty common.

I'm not sure if you genuinely don't understand my point or if you're intentionally avoiding it. Access to guns doesn't cause everyone to start murdering each other, and redneck trailer parks in states with with lax gun laws aren't experiencing epidemic levels of violence. Passing tougher gun laws isn't going to solve the problem in Chicago, or in any minority community.

If politicians were concerned with stopping violence in black communities like Chicago they would be addressing cultural issues and rethinking government policies that perpetuate dependency.
post #1271 of 1722
Thread Starter 

How is that drugs are a problem that should be legislated against but guns are not?

post #1272 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

How is that drugs are a problem that should be legislated against but guns are not?

Neither should. That's the point.
post #1273 of 1722
Thread Starter 

Oh, I didn't know suited had two accounts... Thanks for answering! 

post #1274 of 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post
 

How is that drugs are a problem that should be legislated against but guns are not?


drugs don't benefit from constitutional guarantee

post #1275 of 1722
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
 


drugs don't benefit from constitutional guarantee


That's debatable. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Take all of the guns. All of them.