• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who dresses better: Europeans or Americans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefashionist

Reaction score

Due to my work your opinions is very interesting and important for me. Unfortunately I can not give my opinion since I work in Europe and I never been in USA.Since I am new here I don't know if someone has already post similar thread. In this case...Sorry. I don't have the time to read all.

www.thefashionist.se

m_wave

Reaction score
Haha

Americans would have to be among the most pooly dressed nation in the world. In addition to this I really don't feel that America has influenced anything decent in terms of fashion. The world looks to Europe for it's sartorial excellence.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Haha

Americans would have to be among the most pooly dressed nation in the world.

m_wave,

Out of curiosity, upon what do you base this conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering if this is from personal experience traveling all over the US and the rest of the world and closely observing the average level of attire?

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone dresses like ****.

m_wave

Reaction score
I lived in the US for a year and a half and travelled extensively as part of my job. Similarly based in London for a year and did quite a bit of travel on the continent too.

Currently live in Australia, where we are largely influenced by Europe. I guess I was a little harsh I think there are some great american designers, however I don't think many americans dress well at all.

American tourists here stick out like sore thumbs and it's a constant source of amusement for my friends and I picking them out then listening for the accent..

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
People dress like **** everywhere.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can spot the Europeans in this thread!

Let me be the neutral adjucator here and say this: Americans. Easily.

If at an international conference amongst my professional peers, the Americans are on average better dressed than their European counterparts (even though you always get a couple of AmJack types who spoil things). You should reserve judgement about Americans if you only ever encounter them on holiday in Europe.

Savile Row would vanish tomorrow if weren't for their American customers. SF and AAAC are American websites. LL is run by an American in Paris.

Go to Paris and check out Printemps or Gallerie Lafayette. All you will find is rubbish from Hugo Boss etc. Compare what you see there with Saks on 5th Ave, Barney's or Bergdorf Goodmans around the corner - they are full of Kiton, Brioni, Cornelliani, Borrelli etc. You realise that these famous Italian maker's exist largely thanks to the American market they are intended for. You will struggle to find a store in Europe with anywhere near as vast an offering of high end RTW brands as in New York, be that London, Paris, Berlin or even Rome.

dagenham

Reaction score
ah the ole debate. i think it's impossible to compare europeans to americans in terms of style. style is very individual, meaning, i've seen plenty of europeans and americans look a mess, and not just in regard to suits, but style.

another point which kind of relates to this debate is the fact that most big eurpoean fashion houses relish the opportunity to open stores in america and capture the american business. america is still seen as the "land of opportunity" in terms of growing ones business. does this mean we are eager for labels, or just have more money to spend, or do we have more style?

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nvm

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think generalizing, especially among Europeans, is dangerous.

In my own experience, I have found that Americans generally have the most stylish undergarments (though not socks), ties and eyeglasses. Northern Europeans excel in choosing suits and shirts, but make terrible choices for belts. In Central Europe, both the best and the worst shoes can be found (odd that the extremes are to be found in the Center), but Southern Europeans always have the nicest socks. There is little style, of course, in Eastern Europe.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Style is a function of Money. Americans on average are wealthier than Europeans . This means that more Americans can afford Brionis and Attoloni suits than the poorer Europeans.

I've visited most parts of Europe, North and South America and a few parts of Asia (hong kong, Singapore, Beijing, and Osaka and Tokyo) and have come to the conclusion that besides Italy and Switzerland, there's no place in Europe that I really want to stay longer than 2 weeks. The rest of Europe is backward, both in technology and customs.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thefashionist

Due to my work your opinions is very interesting and important for me. Unfortunately I can not give my opinion since I work in Europe and I never been in USA.Since I am new here I don't know if someone has already post similar thread. In this case...Sorry. I don't have the time to read all.

www.thefashionist.se

Okay, I just visited your website and placed my vote. But more importantly: When will you nominate some hot Swedish girls? I presume the participation around here would be overwhelming .

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha

Americans would have to be among the most pooly dressed nation in the world.

uhh

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's really not about who dresses better, it's about which aesthetic one prefers. For formal wear I prefer one in a well put together Eurpean getup, casual wear I think I prefer a well put together American look. How's that for an answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads