• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these three jackets too long? [Image inside]

waterpig

Reaction score
First, any bunching of the coat sleeve is caused by my dress shirt sleeve being caught on the jacket fabric. The shoulders fit fine and the coats do not bunch over the triceps at all. As the title indicates, I'm worried that the coats are all an inch or so too long. I'm wondering how terrible this looks.

The sleeves will need to be shortened and I'm assuming this will alter the overall perception of fit; unfortunately, my photoshop skills are not sufficient to render the sleeves at their correct length, so one must use their imagination.
shog[1].gif

Any criticism will be appreciated.

Thanks.

combofd1.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I vote for too long, probably by 1-2".

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pants are too long. The jackets look OK to me.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Both the pant and sleeve length need to be taken up.

dagenham

Reaction score
imo, i think they are a bit too long, maybe 1-1.5"

waterpig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Both the pant and sleeve length need to be taken up.

What about the actual length of the jackets? Intolerable?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just the sleeves and pants are too long. The skirt length is about as long as you would want it to be in acceptable range, however it is 1-2" longer than my personal preference.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the length of th jacket is OK, maybe 0.5-1" shorter if you are shorter in height. the sleeves need to be taken up 2" though. the middle one also looks like it's doing some pulling at the vents. the 3rd collar looks really low as well.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sleeves are the worst offender
jacket length is next, but still plausible
I would say the pants are perfectly acceptable for most people

spence

Reaction score
I just had a similar fitting coat altered. Beware that if the sleeve really needs 2" taken off you will probably have to retaper the entire sleeve to get enough fabric to rebuild the area around the buttons. It may shrink the opening 1/2" or so.

-spence

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to tell if the photographs were taken from further away. My 'guess' is they are all too long (by about an inch). Good luck.

waterpig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
the length of th jacket is OK, maybe 0.5-1" shorter if you are shorter in height. the sleeves need to be taken up 2" though. the middle one also looks like it's doing some pulling at the vents. the 3rd collar looks really low as well.

I think the collar was caught on the shirt collar beneath.

I think the skirt length is an inch too long for all three jackets but that's something I can live with. The sleeves are going to be shortened over Christmas break.

I can live with the occasional look of disgust from the random Styleforum poster walking down the street. I doubt anyone else I encounter on a daily basis will think twice that the jacket is 1.5" too long
laugh.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are gonna buy all 3 of them and wear them like that? Might as well buy just 2 and get them fitted right, or even 1 other, better jacket.

waterpig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
You are gonna buy all 3 of them and wear them like that? Might as well buy just 2 and get them fitted right, or even 1 other, better jacket.

Well, what is wrong with them after the sleeves are properly tailored? An inch too long? Pfft.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't think the jacket hems should be taken up too much. after all it's supposed to cover your ass, which, from the bulge in the 1st and 3rd pic, it's barely doing. 1 inch maximum.
Originally Posted by waterpig
Well, what is wrong with them after the sleeves are properly tailored? An inch too long? Pfft.
it takes a lot of money to tailor things...sleeves cost me (on the cheap end) $10 each sleeve, and re-cutting/shaping the jacket hem is pretty expensive. i think tarmac is just saying that the money you spent on having the jackets tailored, which is easily $100+, could have been spent more wisely on a better fitting jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads