• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles Bespoke Tailor

fedoragent

Reaction score
Folks,

I was hoping that someone might be able to provide me with some advice about tailors in the Los Angeles Metro area. I just arrived from San Francisco 7 weeks ago and am looking for good fabric sources (Garment District...but where in the GD?) and reputable bespoke tailors. Does anyone have a working knowlege of the tailors in the area? I have some remnants that I'd like to have made into a waistcoast...but my tailor is in San Francisco which makes it hard for fittings.

Thanks ahead of time,

FG.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is your tailor in SF? I am moving there this weekend from LA and am in need of someone. For non-bespoke, I use Paul at Wilshire Tailors, he is good for your non-everyday needs.

fedoragent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
Who is your tailor in SF? I am moving there this weekend from LA and am in need of someone. For non-bespoke, I use Paul at Wilshire Tailors, he is good for your non-everyday needs.

Jeesh man, I'd wish anything to be you right now. San Francisco is home to me...goto Al Ribaya, Al's Attire, Vallejo and Grant streets, North Beach. www.alsattire.com. Tell him Fedoragent from FedoraLounge sent you. He's THE best in San Francisco. Everyday alterations, Nancy's Alterations on Hyde Street. You can't go wrong with either of these folks.

FG.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are Al's rates for a suit? Also, can you post (or PM me) some of his work. I will defiantly keep in mind Nancy's Alterations on Hyde Street. I need a good workaday tailor.

You and I, brother, are caught in an Urban Freaky Friday, I want to stay in LA, sort of. Give LA my regards and I will keep some chowder in a sourdough bowl warm for you in the Bay.

fedoragent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
What are Al's rates for a suit? Also, can you post (or PM me) some of his work. I will defiantly keep in mind Nancy's Alterations on Hyde Street. I need a good workaday tailor.

You and I, brother, are caught in an Urban Freaky Friday, I want to stay in LA, sort of. Give LA my regards and I will keep some chowder in a sourdough bowl warm for you in the Bay.

I'll send you some pictures of Al's stuff when I get the chance. He has the most awesome selection of well sourced gabs and worsteds I have ever seen.

FG.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fedoragent
Folks,

I was hoping that someone might be able to provide me with some advice about tailors in the Los Angeles Metro area. I just arrived from San Francisco 7 weeks ago and am looking for good fabric sources (Garment District...but where in the GD?) and reputable bespoke tailors. Does anyone have a working knowlege of the tailors in the area? I have some remnants that I'd like to have made into a waistcoast...but my tailor is in San Francisco which makes it hard for fittings.

Thanks ahead of time,

FG.

Giacomo Trabalza and Jack Taylor.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What are their prices like?

FG.

No idea

jyook

Reaction score
What are their prices like?

FG.

Actually, there is a thread on Jack Taylor over at the Fedora Lounge... The thread is started by Matt Deckard and concludes with MK going to the shop and getting his suit...

Here it is:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10692

(Hey!! I actually contributed something here!!
smile.gif
)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know a guy in LA that has a closet full of Jack Taylor suits, jackets, odd trousers and shirts. He's a big fan and the stuff looks great, I must say. I think suits start around $2500 but I could be too low.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoefan
You might also want to check out this blog -- see the information about Novex Tailors in LA.

http://www.sleevehead.blogspot.com/

LARon has a thread floating around somewhere about Jonathan Behr (mentioned in that link), of whom he speaks highly. I've met Ron in person on a number of occasions and can attest that he always looks sharp.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
LARon has a thread floating around somewhere about Jonathan Behr (mentioned in that link), of whom he speaks highly. I've met Ron in person on a number of occasions and can attest that he always looks sharp.

I'm having one made right now by Johnathan. I'll let you know how it comes out. His suits start out at about $1600 and go up to around $2000 and slightly higher I believe.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to spend a few hours with Jack a few years ago for a project I was working on and his cut and clothing are amazing. They are northwards of 3-4k, depending on fabric. They are very traditional and American in styling.

That said, the dude made suits for everyone in Hollywood for the last 50 years. He is awesome and won't be around much longer (he's like 90).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mean to denigrate anybody's opinion, but Al's tailor in SF is not very good from what I have seen. He is fantastic if you want to do something odd that another tailor will not, but his basic work and fit are third rate IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads