or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The great suit style is of Germany my friends
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The great suit style is of Germany my friends - Page 4

post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe View Post
I believe it comes from the Traunsee area of Austria. Probably member "˜fritzl' can give more information, as it is his neck of the woods (or is it the lakes?).

I think it comes from Salzburg. I like it. Bought a "Jägerleinen" today.

Btw, It is woods and lakes.
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post
Epa,i do speak spanish and my family is from the Pyrenees and i'm fully aware of the Basque and Catalan question...

There are some very deep roots to these problems coming from the Franco era when regionalism and local cultures were smashed up by the Franco regime...

I did notice some tensions especially with the Basques....I do sometimes wind-up some drivers telling them i'm a French Basque and it is working....

Frankly speaking, there may be deep roots, but many of the youngsters making up todays violent nationalistic movements were not even born during the Franco era, and when you hear their arguments...
For ****s sake, Franco died in the 70s! (And many of the persons they have killed were people who did a lot more against Franco than what they -or their parents- ever made!)
Violent nationalistic movements just cannot be justified in a democracy.
post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa View Post
Frankly speaking, there may be deep roots, but many of the youngsters making up todays violent nationalistic movements were not even born during the Franco era, and when you hear their arguments...
For ****s sake, Franco died in the 70s! (And many of the persons they have killed were people who did a lot more against Franco than what they -or their parents- ever made!)
Violent nationalistic movements just cannot be justified in a democracy.

I'm down to take it to the streets anti-hippie style in US of A. Is this turning into a CE thread?
post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilmacher View Post
However, for a northern German a Tracht is NOT local culture but a clear expression of a reactionary (or worse) state of mind.

I am from Hamburg and have to disagree. The father of a good friend of mine is a confirmed social democrat and wears a Janker (similar to fritzl's) on a daily basis. However, he has an affinity to Southern Germany and Austria. I think that only in some few cases there is a political reason for wearing the tracht or a part of it as a sportscoat.
Would you say that a "Lodenmantel" (a coat made of loden) is a political statement, too? Some of my fellow students wear them and are as left wing as left wing gets.
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degendorff View Post
I am from Hamburg and have to disagree. The father of a good friend of mine is a confirmed social democrat and wears a Janker (similar to fritzl's) on a daily basis. However, he has an affinity to Southern Germany and Austria. I think that only in some few cases there is a political reason for wearing the tracht or a part of it as a sportscoat.
Would you say that a "Lodenmantel" (a coat made of loden) is a political statement, too? Some of my fellow students wear them and are as left wing as left wing gets.

My wife is far more leftist than I and she has expressly stated that she does not want me to wear a Lodenmantel as she does not like them, and I am sure that it has more with politics to do than with esthetics. It seems that Lodenmänel are strongly associated with very right wing people here in Spain. But I may be wrong.
post #51 of 81
post #52 of 81
I do think that people or countries who did not suffered under a real dictatorship,left or right side of the political spectrum,do have problems to understand certain historical and cultural sensitivities ...

Wearing a Nazi armband will not bring the same reactions in Israel,Germany,Poland ,USA or Russia...

Being a right-winger or a left-winger in the USA or anywhere else is far from living under Franco,Pinochet or the Stasi watchful eyes...
To those who are using provocation and using fashion political symbols ,you do have to be ready to face the reactions...
post #53 of 81
Deep.
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Ist das Deutsch für Rickrollen?
post #55 of 81
Why does everything from Germany have to be, 'The Best', or 'The Purest'? Why can't it just be a nice style of suit? Does that suit have to rule the World?
post #56 of 81
The main problem with ruling the world,it has been an obssesion with so many different cultures for so many centuries...
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo View Post
In Germany, if you were to hang the German flag on your front porch, your neighbors would be weirded out.


Any yet they had no problem hanging the "˜interim' flag in the early 30's to mid 40's...

Jon.
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
Ist das Deutsch für Rickrollen?



Jon.
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Loden of Germany View Post



Not even a Glashutte or Lange could save that.
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post
Wearing a Nazi armband will not bring the same reactions in Israel,Germany,Poland ,USA or Russia...
Yes, in germany you would be arrested (and imprisoned) immediately (see german StGB §86, §130).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo View Post
I'm actually pretty sure you could find a grey Hugo Boss suit somewhere in germany.
E.g. in Ohio you can find a 'grey Hugo Boss suit' too (google translated http://translate.google.com/translat...0605143007.php).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The great suit style is of Germany my friends